Need Advice on what to expect from upcoming Laparoscopy and Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Advice on what to expect from upcoming Laparoscopy and Bowel Prep Need Advice on what to expect from upcoming Laparoscopy and Bowel Prep

Unread 04-30-2001, 03:06 AM
Need Advice on what to expect from upcoming Laparoscopy and Bowel Prep

Hello again Sisters, I am looking for advice on what to expect from Laparoscopy Surgery and Bowel Prep. I am scheduled to have my right ovary and cyst on my right ovary removed on May 17th. I have never had to do a bowel prep before. I have to take 2 pills (Reglan) and drink 2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate the evening before the surgery. I was wondering is the pain as bad when you wake up as it is with a TAH? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2001, 06:16 AM

Hi tweetie

Regarding that wonderful drink. I chose cherry flavor and served it on ice. I was suppose to take mine at 2pm the day before, but I was out conquering the million things left undone and didn't drink up till 4pm. It doesn't take effect right away, so don't worry. It does what it's suppose to do and I had no problems with it.

Can't help with laproscopy, since I had TAH/BSO... Good luck and try not to worry.

Angela
Unread 04-30-2001, 06:27 AM

Hi Tweetie,
Can help give you some insight to the "lap". Don't panic, the pain is no where near the TAH so smile . What they do is make a small cut about this long _______ below your belly button.
My thoughts & prayers are with you.
Good luck and let us know how it went.
Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2001, 06:40 AM

Regarding your bowel prep....you'll be poopin' your brains out, that's a given! I can tell you a lap procedure isn't too bad, I've had that twice, but I can't compare because I've never had a full abdominal incision....lucky me!! :
Unread 04-30-2001, 07:52 AM

Other bowel prep tips:

Bring plenty to read in the bathroom; once it starts you may not be able to go far from the potty. And use the Kleenex Cottonelle moist flushable wipes instead of TP. Accept no substitutes.

If allowed to drink clear fluids after the bowel prep, be sure to do so--you don't want to be dehydrated in the morning when they have to start the IV. But don't drink unless your doctor allows.
Unread 04-30-2001, 11:23 AM

I have had 4 laparoscopies (prior to my laparotomy and then TAH/BSO on March 6th) and I can honestly tell you that they were not that bad for me. I had the 3rd one on a Friday and went back to work on Monday. Of course, by then I had lots of practice I guess! LOL! The bowel prep is not that bad. The worst part of the surgery for me was the gas that is trapped in your body afterwards. Since, they fill your tummy up with gas to do the surgery, it travels all over the place before making it's way back out. For me, the gas always traveled to my shoulders. It really hurt sometimes. The key for me after my laparoscopies was walking around as soon as possible. It helps get the gas moving and it also makes you feel better faster. Good luck to you!

Chrissy
Unread 04-30-2001, 04:45 PM
I had both

The lap was not bad at all. I had one incision in my belly button (couldn't see it), one about this long ____ on the middle right side of my belly, and one just above the pubic hair region (again about this length ____).

The bowel prep on the other hand was the worst part of this whole procedure for me. I used one whole roll of toilet paper in about 3 hours!!! It HURT! It didn't help matters any more when my pendulated (??) fibroid was trying to come out of my body either! That was pretty scary. I couldn't even finish the second bottle of the stuff. I started

Make sure you have a clear pathway to the john. You'll need to run a lot. LOL The Prep H or Tucks couldn't even work for me because no sooner did I apply it that I was back in the john.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register