While in the castle? kids mentioned | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

While in the castle? kids mentioned While in the castle? kids mentioned

Unread 04-24-2006, 09:47 AM
While in the castle? kids mentioned

Is there a better time to have your kids visit while in the "castle"? I have a 7 year old little boy and 10 year old girl and my 7 year old is really scared.

I don't want him to come visit and get scared of anything- is there a better time to visit? I mean will I be totally out of it the day of and scare him or what would you all advice?!? My husband says he doesn't have to bring them- but I think I want to see them. 2-3 days away from them is already bothering me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2006, 10:02 AM

My son was 4 when I had my TAH/BSO. He too was scared, but I think it helped him to see me even though I was out of it. He could see for himself that I was ok. My DH told him that I would be resting/sleeping so that I could recover faster. He did fine. He was able to come and see me anytime.
Good luck! And as always, waiting is the hardest part. Life is much better on the other side.
gottahavefaith
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:04 AM

My kids are a little older and I saw both of them the day of surgery. I was pretty out of it when I saw them as I had afternoon surgery. If you are worried about scaring your youngest, wait until the next day after the IV & cather come out. My son was also scared about the surgery but we did talk about it and when the time came he was ok. This is something you will want to decide as a family. I hope this makes sense, I am took a percaset this morning and am a little woozy. Good luck to you!
Hugs,
Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2006, 10:09 AM

My son was 7 when I had my TVH. I was only in overnight, but I made sure my husband called his teacher the minute I got out of surgery to let him know I was okay. He wanted despirately to come with us that morning, but was staying with Grandma & Grandpa for a couple of days, so he felt the phone call would be a good alternative. I think it helped him get through his school day knowing that he didn't have to worry any more. I also had a 3 year old that didn't have a clue. She just knew that mommy would have an "owie" and she couldn't use me as a jungle gym LOL! I think if your kids are mature enough they can see you the evening of your surgery. It's the WORST having to go without your kids and the last thing you need is to worry during your whole hospital stay. You need your rest and if seeing your babies helps you get your rest, then dang it, they must come to see you! Good luck with everything! Meri
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:14 AM

Thank you all for your responses. It does help to know this site is here. I think my son is scared because of the fact that the last 3 people that have been in the hospital has died. But they were all older and had cancer- but still in his brain- the hospital is a bad place. I try to tell him good things come from the hospital too, but he doesn't agree.

Thanks again for the info- it does help!
God Bless!
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:18 AM

My sons are 16 adn 13. the 13 ry old has been very concerned all along. The 16 yr old doesnt live here and see all the ups and downs I go thru. My 13 yr old came and saw me the second day at night and we visited.The pain meds make one seem weak and Ill I beleive. HE also called twice before once and after that. JUst to hear that I was fine. I loved hearing his voice and when I am in the hospital I feel so cheered up to see his face. Well wishes
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:20 AM

I have 7 yr old twins and they came to see me the day after my surgery when they got out of school. I knew they were coming so I got the nurse to help me put my own gown on and my sister helped me with my hair. I've got long hair down to my waist so my sis put 2 long pig tail braids in and I brushed my teeth and all that before they got there. I didnt want to look sick when they got there. So anyway, when they got to the room, the curtain was drawn, and I could see their little feet coming toward me and then I saw them stop at the same time. I know the poor little angels were scared to death to see mommy in the hospital. But their mamaw and papaw told them it was ok so they came in and I had them take turns sitting next to me in the bed and we got to cuddle a little. I think it made them feel alot better, and I know it made me feel better!!
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:28 AM

Thank you for posting this question and for all of the great responses. My children are 2 and 4 and I am dreading the separation as I will be in the hospital 5-7 days. I have only been apart from them one night each, so I think it will be difficult for all of us. The worst part is, the hospital has a policy that children under 6 can only visit if the patient is in a private room, and the rooms can't be reserved in advance. I told DH that I will just have to meet them in the lobby if need be-I will not go a week without seeing my children!
Unread 04-24-2006, 11:14 AM

I have a 6 & 4 year old.My face was really swallon after surgery.My blood pressure was really low.I didn't want the kids up there when I was like that.I had my family bring them the next day,just to see that I was ok.It also helped that I had a little present for each of them.My husband gave them there presents that night from me.That way they new I was ok and they were excited about getting a present.Good luck..
Unread 04-25-2006, 08:48 AM

Hi Woozboog! I have to tell you this from personal experience. My Mom had surgery a few years ago and I am an adult and a nurse (dialysis, deal with blood and tubes and machinery all day long) and yet, when I saw my Mom the evening of her surgery, I had a very hard time to handle it. She looked so dead! She was so much better, tho, the next day. Your kids are old enough to have a grasp of the concept of death, etc. so, personally, I would wait until the day after. I like what some of the ladies have said about a phone call to say all is ok, and a small present for Daddy to bring home from the hospital the day of, saying that it from you and all is well. I would also explain to them beforehand that you will be too sleepy on the first day and that you will need that sleep to start healing, but you expect them to come visit you after. Hope I've helped

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register