tell me how great your life is now - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

tell me how great your life is now tell me how great your life is now

Unread 04-24-2006, 06:59 PM
tell me how great your life is now

Bebecca- I am almost 8 weeks out, and I can already say I feel so much better. I can't wait to see how I'll be feeling a few months out! My doc said that I wouldn't realize how bad I had been feeling before I had the surgery until a few weeks after it, and he was right! I know that the days leading up to the surgery are scary, and there is some discomfort afterwards, but I truly have no regrets! I feel like I got my life back on February 28th. Good luck with everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2006, 07:08 PM

Okay, here is my list of just a few of the positive changes SO far:
1. I no longer have to sleep on a wee-wee pad that you buy in a pet store for house training puppies.
2. I can sleep in ANY position I want to without fearing that liquids will leak out of my underwear.
3. I can sleep on white sheets!
4. I bought some beige pants to wear to work!!!
5. I have room in my bag for stuff that doesn't have a sticky strip that goes in my underwear.
6. I'm not constipated all the time.
7. I've started to eat better and care about my health again - go figure!

This has been such a positive change for me. I'm so glad I did it!
Julie
Unread 04-24-2006, 08:16 PM

I am only a little more than a week post op but so far this is my TAKE on the whole thing:
50 yrs young and finally feel good just knowing that last period lasting 1 1/2 months is OVER
I NOW know that my failed ablation was just my excuse to put off the hyst(wish I would have done it then)
My whole life revolved around blood, cramps, pain and ruined events....even had accidents at MY age
Made the decision in the end to let all of it go. My ovaries were already shriveling so that was a good idea......cervix? well I guess that is yet to be decided but.........
This is truly one of the best decisions of my life.......I have not slept this well in the last five years, I am slow moving but feel really, really good, My friends and loved ones say I even LOOK better.
Yes, I am sure there will be ups and downs but for me and a lot of other sisters.......Life is soo much better! TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2006, 09:51 PM

Hi Rebecca!

I've been kickin' around on this site for a few years now, and I believe the very best place to learn about what post-hyst life may have in store for you is here:

Beyond the Land of Hyster

Time adds a lot a validity to the whole hysterectomy perspective, in my opinion. Do yourself a favor and spend some time reading posts from longer-term Princess who drop by to share.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:14 PM

hi all, thanks for all the info. I had a failed ablation several years ago. I couldn't believe it........I should have had the hyst then too. I have had pain everywhere for years..heavy periods, cramps back and abdomen pain,bowel problems, leg pain, I am a mess and looking forward to the surgery. I am scared though, I have high blood pressure and when I had a d&d last December [my 3rd one] They told me when I woke up I had a big blood pressure issue during that procedure.....Anyone have bad abdomen pain??? Did it go away after surgery..........??
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:34 PM

Rebecca . . .

Hugs to you Hystersister! My surgery is three days after yours so I can't really respond to life post-hysterectomy. I just wanted to thank you for posting this thread, as I've enjoyed reading the difference this surgery has made in our sisters' lives.

Maxine
Unread 04-25-2006, 10:22 AM

I really did not have a lot of symptoms except, heavy periods, and pain during sex. My dr did an exam after I had an ultrasound, and she asked if I had pain during sex, I said yes, and my husband just looked at me (I think sometimes he thought I made it up). She said she was not surprised, and got me scheduled for a hysterectomy. What I am most excited about is traveling and not worrying about it. I also want to buy some white shorts and wear them this summer. I also am excited because I dont have to worry about not sleeping the first few nights of my period because I did not want to leak all over, or drip on my way to the bathroom, I did that many times. I wish I could tell you that I was in a lot of pain before and it is over now, but I only had the pain for less than a month. Just remember, the waiting is the hardest part. Good Luck
Unread 04-25-2006, 11:39 AM

I had my surgery 4 weeks ago..

1. First off I got my life back!!!
2. I haven't needed an every day pain killer since the second week!! I was using painkillers daily and strong prescriptions one at that.
3. I was even on medication not to get my period and I was getting it at weird times prior to surgery. I still check every time I go to the rest room though.
4. I love not being and pain and being able to do things. I know there are still things I can't do, but I feel better now than I have in years.
5. My doctor, family, and friends couldn't believe how much better I look now than I did before the surgery.
6. My bladder and bowels actually work well now when they haven't for years.
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:11 PM

I'm also 51 and almost 8 weeks post op. I feel great, no backache, having regular BMs, much better emotionally. My skin looks good, and I've started losing some weight. DH and I can have spontaneous sex again (and even oral sex again, hope that's not ). DH even make the comment last night that it's like it used to be before I started having all the problems. We recently took a trip to visit our son and it was wonderful not to have to worry about packing pads and extra panties and always having to worry if I was bleeding through the pad and making a mess. I'm pain free and enjoying life again.

However, let me point out that I followed my doctor's advice and took care of myself. The first week I did absolutely nothing but rest, and then eased back into my normal life. My recovery has gone well, but there was pain and fatigue in the early days.

For me, this was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I feel like I have my life back.
Unread 04-29-2006, 11:43 PM

I'm just around 7 months out and it has been great. I was anemic pre-op and have so much more energy now. I can sleep through the night and only get up once to go pee (I need to stop drinking so much water in the evenings) instead of being up every hour. There is no planning around Aunt Flo's visit. My purse isn't overly stuffed with 'supplies'. No more 'gotta get to the bathroom NOW bowel movements'.

Overall, I feel like I have my life back so having the surgery was definitely a good decision. I just wished I made it sooner.

Best wishes and s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register