Sciatica or Cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sciatica or Cyst Sciatica or Cyst

Unread 04-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Sciatica or Cyst

This is a long one, sorry. Have to give some background. I have been having lower back pain around the time of my period for over a year and a half. My periods the last few years have not been regular. Just came off basically a 6 month flow. A few days off with spotting here and there and then back pain to kind of signal I was heading for the heavy stuff again. Had a vaginal ultrasound that revealed thickening, fibroids and a cyst on my right ovary (the side the pain usually occurs on). Asked my GP for pain meds and he said to use Tylenol. Doesn't help. About a month ago, the pain got really severe to where I could hardly stand up straight. After a few days went to Urgent Care and they gave me pain meds which helped. Dr there said based on my ultrasound results he was not suprised I was having pain. Called my regular doctor when the pain meds were close to running out to get more and had to fight to get them. I was not taking very much, just a half pill before I got out of bed so I could move around and then another half once I got to work. I could then keep it under control the rest of the day with Ibuprofen and a heating pad. Even had several days that I didn't need meds last week. I was quite happy. This weekend got bad again and my husband called gyn to see if I could be some muscle relaxants to see if that would help since the pain meds were no longer helping. He said with that much pain it sounds like sciatica vs. gyn related. I don't have any leg pain whatsoever. Just the lower back and once I get moving around it gets better. I am scheduled for hysterectomy on June 1 and I was looking forward to the pain being gone, but now I am a little deflated thinking I may still have it. Has anyone had siatica without the leg pain. I feel bettr when I sit down, I have a hard time standing too lond. My lower back will freeze up. It hurts just above the tailbone. Any information would be helpful. Thanks! I am making an appointment to see my GP. OB/Gyn didn't think he could help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Sciatica or Cyst

I've had sciatica and gyn pain over the years and sometimes it is hard to distinguish between the two when the lower back cramping pain is severe. Sometimes it has been so severe I can't even feel the heating pad penetrate when on high. Having said that though, I have always had shooting pains down my legs with the sciatica, and it is sharp without the heavy dragging type feeling, unlike the gynae-type pains.

Look at it this way. Have your hyst and if you still have sciatica type pain, go see a chiro. A few sessions with them and you'll soon lose that pain too. I found chiro treatment very effective and no longer have sciatica.

Either way, you win Good luck.
Unread 04-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Sciatica or Cyst

I went to the Dr yesterday and he said it looks like the pain I am feeling now is a secondary condition that could have been brought on by the first. He said it is quite possible that I was tensed up because of the female pain and as a result wound up pulling muscles in my back. He said it is not uncommon for women to change their posture when they are cramping etc., which can set you up for injury. He has given me meds and prescribed physical therapy to get me in shape for the upcoming surgery. He said I need to get this under control so my recovery with the surgery will go better because I need to be able to move around after the surgery to promote healing. My 95 year old Grandmother lives with me and I know when I wash her hair my back strains a little. One of the Last times I washed her hair I was having my normal pain but I felt stretching when I was leaning over her. Might of happened then. Getting older is really not for the young at heart. Oh well, you gotta work with what you got.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register