What do you tell people? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do you tell people? What do you tell people?

Unread 04-25-2006, 11:31 AM
What do you tell people?

My question is what do you say to people in general? I work in a business where I'm involved with a large amount of people. My job takes me all over the U.S. When I'm not there for a month or so people are gonna ask where I am. What do I ask people to say? It's a rather personal surgery and I don't want to broadcast it all over the U.S. Appreciate any suggestions you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2006, 11:45 AM
What do you tell people?

Hi ChaCha,

Can you have them say that you are "taking care of personal business?"

Maybe someone will come along soon with some more ideas or even something they have used.

S,
Kay
Unread 04-25-2006, 12:16 PM
What do you tell people?

At first I just said "I'm having major surgery and I really don't want to talk about it."

But after I told a couple of ladies in my church WHAT I was having they were not only very nice but also very comforting.

To me, it seemed almost embarrassing. And I know several ladies that felt the same way. But once we did say what we were having, you'd be surprised at how people react. We're really one big sisterhood, doncha know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2006, 01:12 PM
What do you tell people?

I felt the same way at first. I told a couple of ladies I work with. I then found out that some of them have went through the same thing. Me, hearing what they went through and how they handle it really help me. Now I don't think there is any reason to feel embarrass. You will be really surprise how other people can be there for you.
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:21 PM
What do you tell people?

I simply say 'I'm having a hysterectomy.' I'm not embarrassed by it. If I have swelly belly afterwards, I expect some people may wonder if I'm pregnant.
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:28 PM
What do you tell people?

i have told everyone that i am having a tah/bso. i don't think it is any more personal than a man saying he has to have a hernia repair, prostate surg, etc. i am not embarassed to be a woman at all.
Unread 04-25-2006, 05:03 PM
What do you tell people?

I have a boss with absolutely no discretion... since we work with high school students, frankly, I just didn't want it to be common knowledge.

So, I was intentionally vague - just stated that I was having surgery and that I would need so much sick leave. To this he responded, "Well it's not life threatening, is it?" So guess what I did... I burst into tears and said, "Well, I just don't know!" Now I feel bad. I was just too emotional in the first place; I didn't mean to overreact, but this is serious, and I'm afraid. I didn't want him to think I was having an ingrown toenail removed! Now he thinks I might be dying... sheesh.
Unread 04-25-2006, 05:08 PM
What do you tell people?

Hmmm, thats a tough one because it means so differently to each person. I am one that it doesn't matter too. I had cancer detected in my cervix so I have used it as an opportunity to promote pap smears and annual exams to all of my women friends, and family.
I think personal business is best as long as you don't care what people "assume" about you. And the people or customers that you really do care about, you can share with as your choice. I did find that it was nice to be asked "how I was feeling?" even if it was from a client. Either way, I wish all of you pre-ops the best and don't fret too much about it. Take care! xoxoxo
M.
tah 04/04/06 adeno in cervix, cervix and uterus removed
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:39 PM
What do you tell people?

I work in an office of a manufacturing business, that is predominetly male (125 employees and only 5 are women).

When I found out I was having a hysterectomy I told my boss straight up what I was doing. He was great with my needing time off and his wife had already been through the surgery so he knew what I would be going through. After that discussion we brought in a temp employee (now six women). When people started seeing her there I sent out an email that I was going to be off of work for about six weeks and for the supervisors to come in to the office and meet the new girl.

Well of course the news of me being gone for six weeks, did raise questions. I figured we are all adults and that I should be able to tell them with out embarrassement what I was having done. The guys that I work with are very good and were very supportive my absence. They were very kind to my temp replacement, were very helpful to me when I would come into the office to work for a couple of hours.

There were a few people who did not hear what I was having done and when I cam back they were surprised as they had thought I had been fired. One guy actually saw me on the shop floor when I came back and asked if I had been fired because he had not seen me and there was someone new working at my desk.

Hysterectomy is a personal decision and if you feel like you do not want to tell people then do not. If you have no problem with it tell them what you are having done, I think you will be surprised at the support you will get.
Unread 04-25-2006, 07:55 PM
What do you tell people?

Hi, 3 weeks post op- I am a supervisor at my job so I deal personally with all of our customers, I sent the clients that I deal with on a daily basis a short email that I would be out of the office for 4-6 weeks, that I was having surgery and gave them a list of co workers that they could contact in the event of questions or concerns during that time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register