Embolization concern | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Embolization concern Embolization concern

Unread 04-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Embolization concern

I am 48 years old and have been dealing with my fibroid issue for quite a while. Since I'm pretty much down to hysterectomy, myomectomy or embolization I'm trying to decide what the best course of action is, I do know that with the quality of life I'm living now I can't wait until menopause so that the problem goes away naturally. For me hormones seem to make things worse and ablation ended up not being an option for me. I have recently been to see a radiolgist about embolization and from the results of an MRI he is concerned that I may have problems with blockage as the fibroids die off, and this could cause an infection. I am just getting ready to talk with my GYN again as suggested to find out more information from him but I was wondering if anyone else out there had this problem and what if anything you can tell me about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Embolization concern

i have not had that problem, but i wanted to send you a {{{hug}}}. i hope you find the answers you need.
Unread 04-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Embolization concern

Hi researcher

I didn't have the same pre-op issues, but here is a link to the fibroids section of our Resources Directory: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Embolization concern

well, unfortunatly, my fibroids did not go away ever!! I'm 57 and don't have a "period", just heavy bleeding and giant clots,and back pain and cramps annd this has messed up my life for years. I also had a failed ablation. So I would say, get the hyst now.........these problems don't go away, just keep reading this site. Most ladies will agree, sooner than later is best.
Unread 04-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Embolization concern

Hi Researcher,

I was 46 when I was diagnosed with two large fibroids. I got 2 opinions and both my Drs. went over the option of a UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization) with me. My Drs felt I was not a good candidate since they both felt my fibroids would grow back and the procedure might have been painful, due to the size of my fibroids.

I can suggest you ask your Dr. what the regrowth rate would be with your fibroids after a UFE and also the size and pain question. I too was hoping menopause could help me out and at 46, both my Drs felt menopause was too far out. It was very disappointing at the time!!

I have seen several fibroid ladies post who had a UFE. Even if they did have a hyst down the road, several shared that the UFE gave them more time to research options. Fibroids are not fun and it can be a scary time deciding what to do. I was there too.

Also, possibly you are a candidate for a less invasive surgery such as a laparoscopic hyst?? Two types are the LAVH (Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy) or the LSH, which I had. Another less invasive hyst is the TVH (Total Vaginal Hysterectomy).

Best wishes. We Fibroid Ladies are here to help if we can.

Mary
Unread 05-01-2006, 06:24 AM
Embolization concern

Thanks for the informaiton. I have already talked with my Dr about the hyster to find out what he would recommend. Because of the size of the fibroids he was saying that he would only feel comfortable doing it abdominally but that he could refer me another Dr for a second opinion. Since I have a back problem I wasn't feeling comfortable with the abdominal surgery and was hoping the UFE would work for me. Now I'm back to not sure so I guess I just need to talk with the Dr again and get more information before I make a final decision.
Unread 05-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Embolization concern

Hi Researcher,

I have had the UFE procedure - my fibroid was about 10 cm - not sure how large yours is or what type it is. Certain types of fibroids can be sloughed off or expelled following UFE and sometimes you need non-surgical intervention from the GYN to "extract" these vaginally if they don't expel on their own. If this is the type of situation you are talking about it is very important to have a supportive, cooperative GYN you can turn to as well as a good IR who will provide good follow up care and coordinate well with your gyn.

I didn't have this happen - my fibroid is not the type to do this. I'll be 49 this month - had fibroids diagnosed about four years ago. I actually had to have my embolization repeated a second time since my first IR was not experienced enough to know how much embolization material to use for a larger fibroid. I went to a very experienced IR for the second embo (in November) and have been very happy with the outcome. I have no more bleeding problems and my fibroid has shrunk dramatically. I didn't expect a flat stomach out of the deal and that has been a pleasant surprise.

I would highly recommend this procedure but based on my experience I'd also highly recommend going to an IR who is very experienced. As far as the procedure itself, I didn't think it was bad at all. The worst pain I experienced was comparable to moderate menstrual cramps and I was back to normal in about a week. Everyone is different though. You might want to check out the Yahoo EMBO board to get more perspectives and experiences from others who have had this procedure. There are also some IRs who post on the board who are very helpful.

Good luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register