post-op care | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-30-2006, 05:28 PM
post-op care

Hi, I am 27, married with 2 girls. I had my surgery on Tuesday (25th) and I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice about post operative care. My husband isn't very reliable right now and my girls are used to depending on me for everything. I have so many emotions and I know that these nightmares are not helping. I am wondering when is the right time for me to take short walks, drive and the overall healing process. My surgery consisted of removal of the uterus, left ovary and tube. I have had two c-sections so they used the bikini cut from before. The pain is amazingly more bearable than I expected. I am really anxious to do more and I was wondering, are the dreams and emotional ups and downs common? Glad to be apart of the community. Looking for as much advice as you can spare. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2006, 05:44 PM
post-op care

Hi Shyra! These are great questions and the best person to answer them is your Doc. Call him. My surgery is different from yours, but my MD doesn't want me to drive till 6 wks post-op. You had major surgery 5 days ago. I think it is too early for You to be doing the meals and care of Your girls. Perrhaps a neighbor of relative could help? I have learned that it is OK to ask for help, even necessary. You need to take time to heal, You only have one chance to do it right! When I was on prescription pain pills, I had bizarre dreams. That stopped when I was able to get off them. The emotional ups and down could be from your removal of one ovary. Be patient with yourself. Slow down a little till You talk to your doctor. Good luck! Carolyn
Unread 04-30-2006, 06:06 PM
post-op care

Hello Shyra
Please do not over do it, when the doc says no lifting, he/she means it. I made the mistake after my first week post op of getting a bit too energetic for my own good (day 5 after post op). I started to do some things around the house because no one does it right and they depend on me too, plus I have 2 yellow labs that require my attention constantly, so I threw a stick out in the backyard for the dogs, big mistake, I know I cannot do that, it pulls those muscles/tissues that are trying to heal. I also did some light housework, I was down for 2 days flat on my back. I am now dealing with lower right ab pain, only advil helps.
I am on my week 3 post op, had my vaginal hysterectomy on April 10th 2006, still have the ovaries.
Monday May 1st, 2006... I will start my 4th week and I hope that I get to feeling better, I am anxious to go back to work but sitting too long hurts my insides on that right side, so I just need to know the insides are so tender and require weeks of healing. I am trying to be patient. I got some books, magazines and good ole tv watching has helped me to remain calm. I know it is hard.

Your nightmares could be a result of the pain meds, if you are taking them.......they caused me to have nightmares. Your family is just going to have to try harder to take care of themselves and DH has to constantly be reminded that you are down for a while and that is just the way it is or else you could end up back in the hospital with repairs if you over do it (believe me, my gyn told me this several times and yelled at me for being too rambunctuous).
At this point walking around the house and outside is safe for you but dont walk fast or bend down (Also dont reach up...ouch). Just walk at a comfortable pace, that has really helped me especially with the emotions. You are going to be feeling emotionally up and down, what we have gone thru is a major surgery and our bodies have to get used to the lack of hormones. Pamper yourself with things you like to eat, drink and do.
Too bad we aren't neighbors, we could walk the block together. For now just take care of you and pamper yourself, right now for the next 5.5 weeks or more it is ALL ABOUT YOU, and the family is going to have to deal with it. My hubby is learning that all the things I do after working an entire day is more than he can handle. They just cannot multi-task!! My daughter is 18, senior in high school and involved in so much so I dont have her here all the time helping me. It is nice to have them gone at school and work during the day but at night DH is tired and it is hard to get him to clean. Luckily my sister helps me out with some things as well as my mom. But I hate to ask them, they know me so well so they just come over and get things done.
Let the house go, deal with it when you are feeling better. Dinners are up to them, they either have to cook or go get food. We have just been doing a bit of both but I am refraining from cooking too much, it hurts to stand so much.
Anyway, I hope you get to feeling better soon, I know what you are going thru, and it does get better I promise, as long as you dont try to do everything. Start out walking for about 10 min, outside or inside and then if it is too much then just do 5 min. You just had your surgery 6 days ago so I wouldnt over do it. The walking does help with the emotions and my gyn told me that after a week it is safe to do mild walking outside or in the house. I was allowed to drive after my first week post op but didnt drive til my second week.
If you want to talk you may email me or pm me.
Anything to help a hister sister out!
Take care of you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2006, 06:17 PM
post-op care

Shyra:
You are VERY early post-op. You need to get some help with the girls and even for yourself. Like curlin said you only have one chance to heal. Call your doctor and research this site for advice. The last thing you want is to do something that will cause you to need more surgery or prolonged pain.

Usually we are told to take short walks often and listen to our bodies. As far as driving, the normal wait is 2 weeks but again, check with your doctor. No driving while taking narcotic! Also you need to be able to break hard and fast in emergency.

That is fantastic that you feel so good do soon but don't do too much too fast....ask your doctor!

The dreams are normal for a short period after getting off the pain meds that you were given at the hospital. The morphine gave me awful nightmares. Some people get them while on the post-op narcotics as well. I was emotional for a couple weeks off and on. Hormonal imbalances affect us and after such a major surgery, I belive our emotions get a bit wacky until we settle down and come to grips with every thing we have been through.

I cannot empasize enough....call your doctor and don't over do it!

Unread 04-30-2006, 06:18 PM
post-op care

Assuming you are 27, your kids must be young. See if they can help in any way...make it a game. I'm 2 weeks post op and feel fine. There is stiffness in the insision area and I'm walking a little better and driving locally. LISTEN to your own body. I know how difficult it must be when everyone depends on you and you want things done a certain way. Take it slow and give yourself time to heal.

PS: Also speak to yor husband about what needs to be done arond the house. Sometimes making a list helps
Unread 05-01-2006, 12:40 AM
post-op care

Thank you all for the replies, they really help. I find that only one friend (who went through a total vaginal @ 29) seems to be the only person who understands what I am going through. I am so glad I have this hyster sister community, with yall and her, I should do great.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register