I Would Like To Send A Note Of Encouragment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Would Like To Send A Note Of Encouragment I Would Like To Send A Note Of Encouragment

Unread 05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
I Would Like To Send A Note Of Encouragment

I had my hyst. l0 weeks ago, tomorrow. I lost my appetite for first two weeks. VERY happy on my 2 wk visit, I had lost 6 pounds. SOOOOOOO-with all this extra time on my hand decided to concentrate of losing the extra l0 (still 5 more to go.) But since I used to play racquetball 4 times a week, weight train 3 times a week, eliptical l/2 hr. before I played rb, I knew I couldn't return to any of that soon. When I felt up to it, I started stretching, gradually at first, but I want to tell you, since I started doing this, I feel SO much better, and limber! Just wanted to let the "sisters" know you don't have to do strenuous exercise at first to still feel good! My muscles hurt BAD when I first started, then I SLOWLY pushed the muscles by stretching them further---every other day. I hope this will encourage someone out there!!! I really do feel SO much better now, glad I had it done, (sex is the best it's ever been!!!!) ANd I"m 48!!!!!!

Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2006, 11:19 AM

Forgot to add I do my stretching to music!!! Lots more fun!
Unread 05-02-2006, 11:34 AM

Thanks for that encouragement. I am at 3 1/2 weeks post op and am finally feeling pretty well. I too was very physically active before surgery with aerobics, yoga, tae bo, weight training. I miss it so much. Thought I could start doing a little something and Dr. says walking only for another 3 weeks. Am anxious to gradually start back into my regular physical lifestyle (and the sexual lifestyle ) Glad your's is now great. Am anticipating that for myself also. Again thanks for the encouragement.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2006, 11:40 AM

Laurie, you are SO welcome, glad I helped you a little. I know the first month was the hardest for me. After that "everything" just kept getting better and better. The dr. had told me when he discovered my large fibroid that I just did''nt realize how bad I felt, because I probably had it for so long, at least 4 years, anyway, I really am starting to feel like I used to when I was in my 30's!!! I really did have more energy back then, and I guess the fibroid was gradually zapping me of energy I forgot I had!!! I know you'll be back to normal AND BETTER in no time!
Unread 05-02-2006, 12:17 PM

rajanet that is such a good idea to start gradually, slowly, and carefully stretching. I really like hearing, also, that people are feeling better. Can you share with us what was hard about the first month? In other words, what were you experiencing that has now gone away? It will give me hope.
Unread 05-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Hi Beth, the first month was really hard for me because I am so used to being so active, and I had to rely on dear husband for things, even though he LOVED doing things for me. I would cry because I felt so helpless. Then I would read on here how others were doing things at 2 weeks post op that I KNEW there would be NO WAY I could them yet. I felt like I was behind somehow. I learned from this site to listen to YOUR OWN body, and that advice really helped me. I want to heal COMPLETELY before I start playing hard racquetball again, and I know myself, I will play HARD when I do get on the court (Actually, I'm excited, because tomorrow will be my FIRST day to play again, try anyway!). Plus, I had ALOT of crying spells FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!! I still have one overy, but on here they say it may have gone into shock, poor thing!!! Anyway, haven't had that AT ALL since 4 months. Also, that HORRIBLE swelly belly!!!! So glad that's gone now! Plus the energy level has gone up TREMENDOUSLY in the last 2-3 weeks at least. I sure hope this helps, you've only got a short time before you'll be in better condition than ever, I'm really glad I had this surgery now. And that comes from someone who had perfect periods until this popped up!!! Fibroids slowed me down, I realize now.

Janet
Unread 05-02-2006, 01:36 PM

I started out just walking and got back into my regular exercise routine last week. We have a BowFlex and I'm back to using it, even at the same weights as before. I also exercise to the Biggest Loser DVD and started out doing the low impact workout for at least 2 weeks, and then I'm going to move up to the next level. I don't play anything as strenous as racquetball, but I do play golf and was able to comfortably play 18 holes last Saturday.

Like Janet, I also took it easy and followed my doctor's instructions and I truly believe that's why my recovery has gone so well and I'm able to do so much now. After the first week, I started increasing my activity level a little bit every day, as my doc said to do. Now, at almost 9 weeks, I feel great, and my energy levels are right up there. I haven't felt this good in a long time, and I am 51.

Laurie, be patient. I know it's hard not to push it when you feel good, but time does go by fairly quickly and you will soon be able to resume your life. Like Janet said, you have to listen to your body and not compare yourself with everyone else. That first workout day feel SO good! By keeping up with the walking, it helps keep your muscles somewhat limber and you may not be too sore after the first workout.
Unread 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM

Just dropping a word of caution. Before doing any type of stretches or exercises after a hyst, do check with your dr first. Walking is usually highly recommeded but anything else needs to wait until your dr clears you.
Unread 05-02-2006, 01:44 PM

thank you rajanet!! There is hope for me!
Unread 05-02-2006, 04:52 PM

I love hearing the positive! So I will be able to play golf this summer - yea! That is something DH & I love to do together (and we are terrible) but we have so much fun!! Thanks!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register