Lady in Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lady in Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...... Lady in Waiting, Waiting, Waiting......

Unread 05-01-2001, 05:04 AM
Lady in Waiting, Waiting, Waiting......

Hi All;

I've had my my surgery date changed three times in the last month and I'm a wreck! First I was set for May 9, then the doctor's nurse left a message on my answering machine one Friday afternoon saying that I could have April 26 if I wanted it. I couldn't reach her until the following Monday only to learn that my doctor had already made other arrangements for that day. Now I'm set to go for May 3. The Week Before Surgery Jitters are incredibly stressful! And here I've had them twice!

Still no word on when I go for tests prior to surgery. Waited by the phone all day yesterday before finally calling the doctor's office. At least I got an actual confirmation for Thursday. Now I have to wait for the hospital to call to tell me when I am to have tests, etc. This is horrible! I want to get out of the house as much as possible since the weather is so lovely and I know I'll be home for ages.

I just want everyone to know that you'll never get your house as completely squared away as well as you would like during that week before surgery. I know because I've had two weeks to try!

Losing my mind by the phone (drat these telemarketers!)

Mindy
lots of endo, a few fibroids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2001, 07:26 AM

Mindy....
Yes, the wait is the most difficult part of this journey. While you have a few days of nice weather, tho, you might want to make a list of things you'll need while recuperating, if you haven't already done so. I made a long list of every book I'd never gotten the chance to read and every video & movie I'd never gotten the chance to see. That way, DH could go to the library or video store for me and pick them up several at a time.

It's also a good time to brighten up your recovery area....whether it's going to be your bedroom, a guest room, or perhaps a favorite corner in the living room (like, hopefully a nice comfy recliner or sofa!). Maybe add a plant or two, or rearrange furniture now (because you sure won't be doing it later!).

If you're going truly stir-crazy, you might want to get a pre-paid cell phone for the month and give that # to your doctor's office (if you don't already have a cell phone). That way you can enjoy the outdoors, go for a walk, etc. and still be "in touch" with the dr's office. The phone will also come in handy during your later part of recovery when you can drive again, but won't be up to handling roadside emergencies like a flat just yet. Get a little address book of daytime and evening numbers for friends and keep it in your purse or glove compartment of your vehicle. It can be priceless!

This might also be time to visit a craft store and pick up a few little craft kits, or maybe supplies to begin a new hobby, especially if you've been putting off learning a new craft because of a lack of time.....you'll have plenty of time while recuperating!

I found the most useful thing I did before surgery was to rent a hospital bedside table for about $25 for a month. Wow! Did that ever come in handy!!! I'm 3 weeks post-op now, so it's about to go back to the hospital supply store soon. I also purchased a foam wedge, great for sitting up in bed and raising those legs, too, but lots of bed pillows will do the trick there as well.

I have pets, so I made sure to have plenty of their brand of pet food & pet snacks on hand. I also stocked up on and made several containers of Jell-O gelatin, pudding and other non-gassy, easy-to-digest foods. I rearranged some things in the kitchen and bathrooms so I wouldn't have to stoop or bend to get to them (especially my favorite foods in the fridge and the TP in the bathroom) and cleared out a spot on the bathroom counter for my medications I knew I'd come home with (pain meds, stool softeners, Gas-x, etc.)

The very last thing I did was pack my bag and stash a small Rubbermaid step stool in my van (I'm vertically challenged and the height of my van I knew would be an issue after surgery for the ride home). I made sure to have a box of thank-you cards and some stamps with my address book near the bed too, so I could write my thank-you notes while recuperating. I also bought a new caller-ID box with "call-waiting" ID so that I could see if I really wanted to answer the phone or not while recovering. (Phooey on those telemarketers!)

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you, but there really are some things that you can probably find that need to be done, or that you just want to do before your trip to the Castle.

Hang in there, Mindy! Just 2 more days to go!!

HysterHugs
Margie
Unread 05-01-2001, 07:29 AM

Mindy - I'm with you on the housekeeping stuff. I spent all weekend getting into corners and crevices. I'm not sure what I think is going to happen when a layer of dust settles on my end tables. Will they explode? Why are we so concerned about that stuff? Maybe it takes our minds off the upcoming events for a while. Only two days! You must be so nervous, but maybe in a way excited too. I'm scheduled for 5/9 and it's getting more and more difficult to concentrate on work. And you don't want to talk everyone's ear off about your uterus so we keep it inside. But that's why this site is so great. We can vent and not be criticized. I'm hoping our hystersisters know what they are talking about when they say the waiting is the worst part. God bless you on your journey into the castle. We'll be thinking and praying for you.
Hugs,
Judi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2001, 12:36 PM

Margie and JudiV

Thanks for the hugs and that marvelous checklist! Now I've got lots to occupy myself with while waiting for the hospital to call. Recovery should go swiftly with so much stuff to do to pass the time.

JudiV, sounds like you're way ahead of me in the housekeeping arena. I'm just trying to concentrate on vanquishing dog hair because I know that's what's going to make me crazy in the next few weeks. My DH is oblivious to it and has never operated our vaccuum cleaner. Why, oh why didn't I get a Yellow Labrador to go with my beige carpet instead of a Black one?

Thanks for all that great advice. I am grateful to you both.

Mindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register