Defagram?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Defagram??

I had a defagram yesterday and it was different form the one I had before. I did not have to drink any barium and did not have to put contrast on the tampon in my vagina. They just put the paste in my rectum. Will that show any bulge in my vagina? The radiologist said yes, but I am confused. Any advise. Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Defagram??

Hi Sue Did you mean you had a defecogram? Here is a link that describes in great detail how defecography is done, what it is useful for and what can be seen in the pictures obtained:

http://radiographics.rsnajnls.org/cg.../full/22/4/817

The radiologist would know best, but I think that since the posterior wall of the vagina runs right along the rectum, the tampon would have been a bit unnecessary.

s,
-Linda
Unread 05-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Defagram??

Sue,
First of all, I am relieved that they didn't have you put the barium tampon in your vagina, you are still recovering from surgery. The test should show if the repair has failed and if there is a blockage. I had the one with the tampon and the drinking barium, I think the tampon reduces the size of the rectocele if there is one. It also lets them know if you are relaxing to go or pushing to go. That way they know if you need PT. Let us know when you get the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2006, 01:42 AM
Defagram??

I had a defecogram in Dec of 2004. I had to drink the barium and put paste in my vagina. They put alot of paste in my rectum. It showed a large non emptying rectocele and a enterocele.
I continued having constipation issues so I went back to the colon rectal dr. at 4 months post op. They wanted me to get another defeco. The barium was on recall, so there was a long wait. I decided to cancel out, because I had to have my back surgery. Since the barium was recalled, maybe they have to do it another way now. Did your test show anything? When I had mine done they showed me on the monitor during the test and afterwards.
I hope you know what is going on soon.
Peggy
Unread 05-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Defagram??

Sue,
Sorry to hear you are still having problems. I hope they figure out what the cause and cure are.
Sherry
Unread 05-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Defagram??

I have not heard back form the doc office. I am going to call on Monday to see if they have the results. The doctor said that the repair had not failed, but I am having the stool get stuck up there. I can have a BM in the morning, but later in the day I feel the stool stuck and cannot push it out. I am not straining because of the repair, but it has been 7 or 8 weeks by now. I am wondering if I did not develop one higher. I di not seem to have problems pushing out the paste, and they did not tell me anything while I was there. So i am just waiting and wondering..... The first one I has i had to drink the barium and put the tampon with paste on it, but they did not do that this time. ( Different hospital) I guess that it would have been bad to put the paste in the vagina, as I was not healed at the 6 week mark. So ......thanks again Ladies Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register