options to LAVH for prolapse/rectocele/prolapse-long post | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

options to LAVH for prolapse/rectocele/prolapse-long post options to LAVH for prolapse/rectocele/prolapse-long post

Unread 05-06-2006, 08:16 AM
options to LAVH for prolapse/rectocele/prolapse-long post

Hello everyone! I am so confused and I would love to hear some stories from others. I was told last fall that I had cystocele, rectocele, and uterine prolapse. Since then I have been told that it is a Stage 4 prolapse by the nurse practitioner and then the nurse later said it was a Stage 3. The rectocele, I think, is a Stage 3. I can't remember what stage the cystocele is in. The doctor said last fall that "when I was ready that I needed a TAH." I am 32 and only have one child. I was married a man last July who had already had a vasectomy, so I figured that I wasn't meant to have more children, although I still wanted another. I am a teacher, so I had originallly scheduled my TAH for June 5, so that I could make it through the school year. However, in February, my newlywed husband decided he didn't want to be married anymore and I moved back in with my mother. I started having more struggles with back and abdominal pain so I went back in. The nurse practitioner recommended moving my surgery up to May 1. I expressed that it was hard to deal with this on my own and that I was having difficulty dealing with not being able to have more children. She told me to think of it as having a better life by not hurting.

However, let me tell you about my pre-op appointment. I had plans made for surgery to go ahead on May 1. I went in on April 21 for my pre-op. They decided they needed to do a saline stress test to see what they needed to do with my bladder. I did NOT know they were going to do this. It was very uncomfortable and I started crying. I suppose I just couldn't handle any more stress. In the course of the appoinment, my doctor didn't like my emotional "outburst." He asked why I was crying and I began to tell of all the stress in my life. I added the stress of not being able to have any more children and he asked the dumbest question. He said, "Who told you that you couldn't have any more children?" Well, I kind of figured that if I needed a TAH that I wouldn't be able to have any more kids. I told him that his other nurse practitioner said that she didn't think I could even get pregnant (I have a horrid cervix due to two LEEPs, but was able to get pregnant with my son with it.) and that if I could that she didn't think I would be able to deliver a baby. He made the comment, "Well, I have delivered babies in women whose cervix was lower than yours." I asked if I had options and he told me to get dressed and we would discuss them. He took FOREVER to come back in to my room to talk with me. He decided that he didn't need to do a TAH that the best option for me is now a LAVH because I didn't leak any urine with the saline stress test. However, he didn't want to do that because of my desire to have more children. He said since my life circumstances had changed (getting divorced) that the options had changed. (KIND OF MADE ME VERY ANGRY that he hadn't given me these options last fall) He gave me the option of tying the uterus up and repairing the rectocele, but not the cystocele. He also gave me the option of a pessary, but that was to bide me time to make a decision when I was "thinking more rationally." He penciled me in for a LAVH on June 12 now, but said I could make a decision and talk about it at my next pre-ap appt.

Then this week his nurse called and said that now he doesn't want to do any kind of repair because another pregnancy would just tear down all of the repair work. I told her that was not what he told me, but he didn't write anything in his notes about tying the uterus up or the pessary. I have his writing on this, but am so frustrated now that I am seeking a second opinion on May 23.

I guess after this long post that my big question is this: Is there anyone out there who has had rectocele/prolapse/cystocele problems and had a repair surgery followed by another pregancy? What did your doctor choose to do? Is a hysterectomy the only way to help my discomfort?

Thank you for reading this.

Stacy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2006, 10:32 AM

Hi Stacy,

I am really sorry to hear you are going through all this. Hopefully, we Hyster Sisters can help you out. On the LAVH, in my opinion, it is an excellent surgery type. It is a laparoscopic surgery and a less invasive hyst then the TAH.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the ~different~ types of hysts. It also includes questions to ask your Dr. Just scroll down.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm

On the decsion to have surgery...Drs can give us options, we make the final choice. Your story is a perfect example of how difficult the decision to have a hyst can be. Generally, a hyst is ~not~ for a life threatening reason but for a ~quality of life~ reason and that is where there can be so much indecision. Why have an elective surgery???

It sounds to me like you have some personal matters to resolve before you go ahead with any hyst. Biggest one is whether you want a 2nd child or not. A hyst is major surgery and I think gettiing a ~2nd opinion~ is an excellent idea. Even get a 3rd opinion if you want. The information you gather from different Drs will only help you make a good choice for yourself.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 05-06-2006, 01:15 PM

Hi Stacy

I knew my family was complete before I decided to have my hysterectomy, so I was surprised when I later found myself grieving the official closing of that chapter in my life. I'm sorry you have these problems and can appreciate your dilemma.

I found a couple of links on the web that might be helpful for you:

http://www.webmd.com/hw/womens_conditions/tv1532.asp
http://www.wdxcyber.com/mprolap2.htm#m02

I'm glad you'll be getting a second opinion. Take all the time you need and get as many opinions as it takes for you to become comfortable with whatever plan you decide on. I've heard that it's usually the patient who decides when it's time for surgery to correct a prolapse, since it's a quality of life issue. If you are a candidate for surgery for the prolapses without the hyst, you may need additional surgery later, but maybe that would be worth it to you? It's hard to weigh options with "what ifs," so we just have to do our best with informed decisions. I hope you find the answers you are looking for and compassion from your physicians along the way.
Please let us know how your visit goes, okay?

Thinking of you & sending gentle s,
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2006, 09:33 PM

Thank you so much to both of you for your words of encouragement. It has been a rough haul for all of this. I did get my second opinion and that doctor was quick to jump into a surgery, non-hysterectomy, however it was quite quick. I found out the next day that he just got off of probation from the state and had to have 30 surgeries supervised. Not that he isn't capable, but my confidence was compromised. Sooooo...I sought out that 3rd opinion. Now my new gyn is going to do a combination surgery with a urologist. I will have and A & P repair, a uterine suspension with a Maskovist (sp?) procedure, and a bladder sling. The uro will do the bladder sling after the gyn gets his stuff done. They both seemed to think my cystocele was the most demanding of my problems. I guess it is unusual for someone of my age to have that big of a cystocele. Anyways, I am scheduled for those procedures on July 5. This site has been so helpful to me in deciding what to do. Thank you ladies!

Stacy
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:57 PM

Dear Stacy:

Kudos to you for seeking out more medical opinions The possibility of wanting more children in the future is certainly a valid reason to avoid a hyst.

Here is a link to a website with info & message boards where women are living with prolapse: http://groups.msn.com/choiceforprola...pgmarket=en-au

I hope your surgery goes well, and you have a smooth recovery. Please keep us posted!!

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 06-10-2006, 11:05 PM

Stacy,
Last Oct. I had a re-suspension for prolapse using Prolift mesh, and A&P repair. 8 months later, I feel great, and have a normal life again. I went to a urogyn, and she really is an expert. It's holding well, and I feel no pain unless I lift too much, too often. I have a 20 lb. weight limit for life, but that beats frequent bathroom trips!! I am very pleased with the surgery; it was a very quick recovery, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Best of luck to you...aren't you glad that you went for a third opinion?
Hugs, Jeanne
Unread 06-26-2006, 10:01 AM

Jeanne,
Thank you so much for helping me feel better about my surgery. Knowing someone who has had similar surgery done makes me feel better. Can you tell me what your recovery was like? I am supposed to start teaching 6 weeks to the day after my surgery. What can you tell me about your post-op that might be helpful in a good recovery?

Thanks again,
Stacy
Unread 07-09-2006, 09:42 PM

Thank you everyone. I am 4 days post-op and doing okay. Stinks that I had to come home from the hospital with a catheter, but that was just because I wasn't emptying completely. I had everything done vaginally, so no outer stitches. I can't figure out if the shooting pains are from the catheter, the stitches or something else...anyone had a vaginal surgery that can help me out?

Thanks!
Unread 07-10-2006, 03:17 AM

Many best wishes to you as you recover from your surgery. When you get the opportunity, you can update your profile to include your hyst type and date.

If you have post hyst questions, feel free to drop by our Post Op Section where you will find helpful articles, checkpoints, and links to the Post Op disscussion boards where you can seek support from other women.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register