Hospital Stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stay Hospital Stay

Unread 05-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Hospital Stay

My vacation at the is to begin on 5/23/06. I don't go to for my "pre-op" appointment until the week before. How long is the "average stay?" Upon discharge ....what sort of clothes would be best to wear home? Also, what do you recommend I bring to the castle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Hospital Stay

Hi LMF,

My stay was 2 nights but I think 3 is the norm. I also think what type of surgery you have plays into how long you stay. Sisters who had a TVH stayed shorter than us TAH girls.
I would wear sweat pants or something that has an elastic waistband home. You need something that has some "give" because you won't know how swollen you will be. Also a small pillow for the ride home to use between you and the seat belt helps tremendously.
There is a list on the site of things you should bring to the castle. Follow this link: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm.
Good luck on your surgery and if you have any more questions, we're here
Unread 05-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Hospital Stay

I had a TAH on Tuesday 3/14 and went home Thursday 3/16. I should've stayed at least one more day because I had a heck of a time that first night home.
As for what to bring to the hospital, the site has a list of stuff but I found I didn't use half the junk I thought I'd need. I used my toiletries of course, my own jammies (two piece, not a gown. you'll get all tangled up in a gown), slippers, undies (only to wear home. wear the mesh ones in the castle in case you bleed), prescription meds. I didn't use my robe, I wore my jammies home, left the castle in my slippers so my shoes stayed packed in my bag with my "going home clothes", didn't read the book or do the puzzle book I brought cuz I was too darn tired all the time. You'll be very tired and sore so trust me, you'll do without most of the stuff you think you could never do without. You won't be up to blow drying your hair, putting on makeup, or even staying awake much.
Good luck at the castle and enjoy removing the dragon from your tummy.
Happy pre-uterus liberation day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Hospital Stay

Hi and welcome! The link Terri mentioned is a great one, it tells you just about everything you need to know to be 'pre-op prepared'; it was a huge help to me! I also didn't use my robe (which took up the most room in the bag, so I should have left it) or read the books I brought; in fact most of the time I fell asleep in front of the TV. I did go out to Walgreens and buy a 2X size pair of surgical scrubs and a big t-shirt that they had on sale. I wouldn't have even thought about post-op swelling if I hadn't found this site, and I would have been pretty upset if I hadn't been able to get my pants on to go home! I didn't bring the pillow though, and I should have - that bumpy ride home was a killer! Another great suggestion that I didn't take was to get your house clean, prepared and organized ahead of time - I didn't bother, and I was going nuts when I got home because nothing was where I could get to it easily, shopping wasn't done, etc. Kris, I loved your 'uterus liberation day' comment; I'll have to remember that next April 18 when I celebrate! Good luck to you, and please explore all the different boards here, especially the Pre-Op one - you'll get TONS of knowledge and support, which I don't know what I would have done without! Take care!

Unread 05-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Hospital Stay

I haven't taken this particular journey, but on my other trips to the castle, I found that it was extremely helpful to take gas-x before and after. The doc also okayed stool softener beforehand. I discovered that the pain from gas that is hard to pass is often worse than the other pain, and some pain meds (like morphine) can make the gas worse.

Check with your doc and see what he recommends. The other thing I took with me that I really appreciated was my own clothes. When the doc came in the day after, he thought I was in the bathroom and sat down to talk to "my sister." I was in my own nightgown and sitting in a chair with my hair combed. I had someone help me back to bed where I could sleep for several hours after he left, but it sure felt good to be upright and me for a little while.

Of course, those are just my observations from two myomectomies and a c-sect. You can pass your experience on to me for this one.

Relax and look forward to being symptom free.
Unread 05-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Hospital Stay

I know this may sound silly but the one thing I did that I was so glad for was to clip my toe nails as short as I could. I would have had a hard time doing that for a while after surgery. Or maybe you could treat yourself to a pedicure
I wish you the best and a speedy recovery!!
Unread 05-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Thanks

Thank you for your suggestions

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register