The joys of bowel prep--HA! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The joys of bowel prep--HA! The joys of bowel prep--HA!

Unread 05-07-2006, 07:42 PM
The joys of bowel prep--HA!

Well, it's a done deal now. Whew! The results are still coming . . . or is that going? ROFL! At any rate, it definitely is doing its job. Less than 11 hours until I'll take a drug-induced nap and wake up knowing painful cycles are finally a thing of the past!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2006, 08:19 PM

I don't know if I should be happy or feel rejected. I don't have to drink anything just do a nice little enema the night before. Maybe it is a Canadian thing. I did do the drink thing for a colonoscopy recently and did not keep it down. Thought and wished I would die!!!!
Unread 05-07-2006, 08:27 PM

Jeanna Marie,
It's funny....my gyne gave me a perscription for this stuff to drink. I saw the word Fleet & automatically assumed it was an enema even though it said right on it...add to water or juice & drink. I guess I had a blonde moment...I can say that cause I'm blonde. I was telling the doc...I felt stupid cause I've never had an enema before & wasn't really sure how to approach doing it...well, she cracked up laughing & said she didn't think it would help me much to squirt that stuff in that end when it's supposed to go in the mouth....DUH....I felt like such a dum=dum. Leave it to me!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2006, 08:36 PM

Here's to the worst bowel prep story ever. I had to drink that whole gallon of Go Lyetly and it travelled through my vagina as well as my anus as I was prepping for a colovaginal fistula ( hole between my sigmoid colon and vagina--post-SAH rare complication). It stung and burned worse than you could imagine! Hope that helps you in your misery...Shelley
Unread 05-07-2006, 08:55 PM

Okay, now I'm freaking. I am calling the doctor tomorrow to find out what it was I am supposed to use and which end to do it in. Too funny. Thanks for the heads up or bottom's up - we will see which one if for me!!!! LOL
Unread 05-07-2006, 10:13 PM

I feel so lucky that I never had to do any prep at all.
Guess all dr's are different.
Thank God I didn't have to do that.

Renae- TVH 10days ago, after failed ablation 05/05.
Unread 05-07-2006, 10:20 PM

That phospho-soda is the worst. I still have nightmares from the last time I had to drink it. I mixed my with 7up and now I can't stand to even look at a bottle of 7 up let alone drink it. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.
Unread 05-07-2006, 11:28 PM

I'm sorry you ladies had to drink the same CRAP! I had to drink 2 bottles of magnesium citrate (I think it is the same stuff as you all had?). I had to have fluids only after noon, but the first bottle at noon and supposed to drink the second one at 3 pm. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY didn't want to drink that second bottle. I wasn't going to until my dh sort of insisted, told me he would tell my doc I didn't drink the second one and my surgery might be postponed.. but THAT CRAP WAS DISGUSTING.....more disgusting than the stuff they give you for the Glucose Tolerance tests!!!

Oh well, look on the bright side, tomorrow we'll be having our surgeries and hopefully it will cure what ails us!!!Good luck to all of you!
Unread 05-08-2006, 12:09 AM

Hang in there those ladies who have the joy of bowel prep. After surgery it becomes the joy of bowel movement!! Hehe.

The nurses and I were cheering on day 4 when I got out the restroom...funny how you celebrate those little things you took for granted all your life

Good luck with you surgeries and speedy
Unread 05-08-2006, 01:50 AM

This is so funny - not for those of you who are going through it of course, but looking back and remembering and hearing all the similar stories, oh boy! Yes, I had the dreaded Phospho-Soda before my colonoscopy and literally wanted to die. This time the doctor prescribed GoLytely and advised me to mix some Crystal Lite with it, and I read here that it should be refrigerated first - wow, what a difference that made! I couldn't believe it when I filled up that huge gallon jug, but it was so much easier than the first time, it actually didn't taste bad at all! The ironic thing was that three days later when I had my first BM it came out exactly the same way - just the opposite of what I was expecting (maybe there was still some left from the prep)! Anyhoo, it was definitely one of the less enjoyable aspects of the surgical experience, but well worth risking any bowel damage during surgery, especially for me since I had been told by my prior doctor there was a huge risk of bowel perforation - and I sailed through with flying colors! So suck it up ladies, and drink the evil potion - truly, you'll thank yourself later!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register