The joys of bowel prep--HA! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The joys of bowel prep--HA! The joys of bowel prep--HA!

Unread 05-08-2006, 07:56 AM
The joys of bowel prep--HA!

Hi ladies,

The only bowel prep of any sort I've ever done was an enema while in labour with my first child. I ended up fainting on the toilet. I'm so terrified of doing this prep, but my Doc insisted as I'm at a great risk of him damaging my bowel (I'm being put on antibiotics when I arrive at the castle). I've now been on clear fluids since 8 pm yesterday, I have to drink the fleet phospho soda at 2 pm tomorrow and again at 7:30 pm. Beyond the taste of the stuff (I really hate lemon flavoured anything! why does it have to be lemon???), what happens when there's nothing left in the body to pass? I'll have gone 42 hours without solid food. Will I just have cramps and pain? Like dry heaves when you're throwing up?

Thanks,
Karen xox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2006, 05:56 PM

By the time you see this you may already be finished, so I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. You could also try different flavors of Crystal Lite if it's available in your area; as long as it's sugar-free. I don't remember any cramping after I was 'empty'; your body knows it's empty and just stops, basically. I also wanted to wish you luck; what a lot you've been through over the years! When they did my hyst they also found cysts on the remnant of my right tube - boy, even when you think there's nothing left to grow on, that evil endo will just latch on to anything it can find! I hope this is it for you and that you will finally be getting some permanent relief. Good luck to you!

Unread 05-08-2006, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info Barbara, one less thing to worry about I guess! I'm off to wander the aisles of the grocery store looking for yummy clear liquids

Karen xox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2006, 07:56 PM

Hi Maxine...your story is bringing back memories of taking that horrid prep,,,,it's inhumane! I think I have tried them all as as I have ulcertive colitis (in remission now ). The last time I had my colonoscopy I tried a new product called PICO-SALAX....and it was heavenly compared to all the others. It had a pleasant orange taste. You mix it with 150 ml of water..once in the morning and then again in the evening...works like a charm! Hope this helps and pass the word along so we can get away from that horrid prep! Tweetee
Unread 05-09-2006, 06:11 PM

I hope your surgury went well today. Just reading your post made my stomach flip-flop. I did the prep a year ago, and just can't wait to do it again next month, NOT! Take it easy in recovery. See you on the other side in about a month.
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:45 PM
50 hours in and a word of advice

Well ladies,
It's been 50 hours since I last ate anything solid, I've had two rounds of phospho soda in the last 7 1/2 hours and I'm hanging in. In 12 hours I'll be unconcious and the Doc will be on the hunt

For those getting ready for the bowel prep, I would suggest you pick up some personal hygenic wipes and some type of hemmorhoid cream ....I feel like the energizer bunny, I just keep going and going! If only I had the energy too!
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:57 PM

Yes, ditto on what Karen suggested! Also make sure you get the SOFTEST toilet paper you can find and wipe minimally - heck, you're just gonna be goin' again in 15 minutes! :run3: Good luck and our condolences!

Unread 05-10-2006, 03:03 AM

I for one will never take this deadly concoction again. I had to take it for a colonoscopy last year and it was the most horrible stuff I have ever had to swallow.

Somebody mentioned magnesium citrate which is not the same as phosph-soda and a much better choice for cleansing out your colon should you ever have to again. Before my hysterectomy I got the cherry flavored and refrigerated it fordays. It was more like drinking a sour cherry soda than anything else. I chased it with a little water from time to time until I had drank the whole bottle. 1 bottle was all my doctor wanted me to drink. It did the job it was prescribed to do. LOL

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register