How long can you wait? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long can you wait? How long can you wait?

Unread 05-09-2006, 08:16 PM
How long can you wait?

Hi Ladies:
Just a brief history had TAH in March 2004, have been doing great until September 2005 started having bowel problems (constipation, stool stuck and tail bone irritation) had sigmoid nothing, and then the bowel problems got better for about 3 month (October - January 2006), then again problems with all of the above, differant every day but never felt just right, other days better then some, went back to the colon rectal dr, he did a defecography and colonoscopy. Colonoscopy was fine, defec showed rectocle and the retum not emptied completed (duh) and remained trapped the collection meastured 5 x 3 cm and also showed small enterocele. I can usually get it under control and go 2-3 weeks before a flair up but this time I can't seem to get it out and now I have discomfort in the vaginal area. Colon rectal dr. told me at the time and so did bowlgrl to do a warm water enema, well I have to do that almost every day now. I guess after all of this long yada yada yada I want to know how long can I wait to have surgery. I know you all will say why wait and it will get worse, but its almost summer and my family is a river boating family and I just can't let their summer down as they look so forward to it. And if I have it now and most likely won't get it done until in of May the way the hospitals are, that will put my recovery into July. So am I in any danger waiting if I can and just take stool softners, meticual and hope for the best and if not warm water enema? I am pretty miserable. Any advise on how to get the stool out, I cannot splint. It just does not work for me. Or I am not doing is right. Anyway thanks for listening.

Teena.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2006, 11:53 PM
How long can you wait?

(((Teena))) you need to ask the surgeon his/her advice about the timing on your surgery. If it's decided that you can wait, I have one idea for something that may help - at least it's helped me on numerous occasions.

Do you have access to a bidet? If not, they now make toilet seat mounted bidets -- these things replace your regular toilet seat, and contain a heated seat (really nice! ), and heated water wash with adjustable stream. Some of them also have air drying and other extras. They are easy to install by yourself and can cost anywhere between about $200 to $600 and up. I took a trip to Japan a couple of months after my hyst and was impressed with them... they were on the toilets in all the hotels and restaurants I visited there. When I got home, I put them on three toilets in my house and we all love them.

Some of the newer models of these bidet seats allow for a fairly high pressure stream to come out of the bidet nozzle. If you move yourself around just right on the seat, you can arrange for the water to wash out the rectum - sort of a fuss free mini-enema. Some of their ads mention this capability and some don't, but it is real and it works. I've used mine that way on occasion when things weren't "moving". I like that it's a totally hands-free operation.

I hope this helps. Sorry you are facing another surgery.

s,
-Linda
Unread 05-10-2006, 12:02 AM
How long can you wait?

Hi, (((Tina))),

I can totally relate to this. My doctor and I are convinced that I have a rectocele and enterocele. But it's going to be winter or even next spring before I can even think of having any type of surgery for it...and I'm concerned that any further surgery will do nothing more than open up an even larger can of worms (sigh...).

Only your doctor can answer your questions about the safety of waiting. I've dealt with some partial bowel obstructions -- they're no fun -- but so far have not found myself in an emergency situation. Stool softeners do nothing for me; fiber helps some, but the pain and cramping on a daily basis are pretty miserable (not to mention the bloating, nausea, etc.). I've been told that you have to be careful with enemas, as it becomes more and more difficult for the bowel muscles to do their thing on their own. But if you're in a situation where the bowel muscles no longer work on their own (like me), well, I don't know what the answer is. Sadly, we've (temporarily) lost our insurance and COBRA hasn't kicked in just yet, so I've put off even routine visits until this all gets resolved.

Can you manage vacation, feeling the way you are? River vacations sound pretty strenuous. I've been continuing to function more or less normally, although my exercise programme is history for the moment and it's all I can manage to work and raise my family.

I will be interested in what your doctor's response is to this question. I've been told that any surgery will likely involve the URO-GYN along with a general or colo-rectal surgeon. The more the merrier, I guess!

Hope you get some answers -- and some relief -- soon!

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2006, 08:17 AM
How long can you wait?

Thank you Ladies. I talked to the dr. yesterday and she said I can do what I want. As it is not life threatening. I am usually able to go in the morning pretty good, but then in the afternoon I get the feeling as though its all just sitting there. I was not having the pressure in the vaginal area as I am now just in the back end. The report only says a small enterecle. I just can't beleive that after years of endo and finally having my life back after the hysterectomy that I am faced with this. But then my 16 year old son said well it could be cancer and that is when I decided to put my big girl panties on and just try and deal with the situation at had and stop feeling sorry for myself. I thank God for this board it has helped me through many years of help. Thanks again.
Unread 05-10-2006, 11:51 AM
How long can you wait?

Hi Teena B,
My doctor told me not to worry about becoming addicted to the warm water enema's as I do go on my own, I am just using them to finish emptying (so I don't have an accident). But the regular enema's can become very addictive. I have been dealing with this for over 5 years and it may be forever so - I am trying to think of it like you that it could be worse and I have lived with this for this long. Enjoy your summer, I am! Hugs.
Unread 05-10-2006, 01:03 PM
How long can you wait?

Thanks bowlingrl, I remember we talked a while back and you telling me to do that so did the colon/rectal dr. but I almost need to use them every day. As least I think I do. It might just be irritation. Do you have irritation up in the vagina also. This just started last week. Is so strange I have good days and bad days and when I have a glass of wine or beer I have no feeling of it as all. I guess I will just stay drunk for the next few months. LOL. Thanks for your reply. How big is your rectocele? They did not tell me how big it as in stage but the contrast measing is approximatley 5 x 3.5 cm. And that about that sign comes out with the enema. TMI but that is the truth. Anyway yes it can be also worse and I guess if I just can't deal the whole summer I can schedule the surgery. I have to have this year as I have already paid my deductible so I should just do it, but I worry about it opening another can of worms for me, you know just something else. Do I sound negitive or what.

Thanks for listening.
Unread 05-10-2006, 05:44 PM
How long can you wait?

TeenaB,
I don't know how big my rectocele is as I haven't started new testing yet. But several doctors have commented about how I have a 'large' rectocele. They always say this when I complain about my bladder - lol. Like I shouldn't be worried about my bladder bkz my rectocele is bigger? I going to start testing this summer sometime and I am never having surgery in the summer again, I am a summer person and I like to hibernate during the winter, so I will schedule any future surgery for the cold weather. That way I won't feel like I missed another summer like last year.
I use the warm water enema almost every day, as I am scared to go out and about and have the 'urge' hit me and not be near a bathroom. So far I haven't had any accidents since I started this routine. I did have some before. Good Luck to you.
Unread 05-11-2006, 04:59 AM
How long can you wait?

Teena
I had a TAH in May of 2004. In Nov 2004 I had a defectogram which showed I had a large non emptying rectocele and a enterocele. I know what you are going through. I was told it was up to me as to what I wanted to do. My Gyn said some ladies live with it for years. They splint to empty. I splinted to empty also. You just push down on the bottom of your vagina where you can feel the bm under the vaginal tissue. This helps to push it out. I recommend using Miralax. It is a gentle type of laxative that helps most people. My colon rectal dr ordered it. I had enough of the back aches, vaginal irritation, lower abdominal pulling sensation (from the enterocele)that I decided on surgery. The recovery was a breeze to me. I was prepared for alot of pain and I had none. It ended up I had alot of nerve damage from my heniated discs, so i had no sensation.
When I had my anterior repair and tvt in Sept 2005 my uro/gyn ordered me enulose syrup. This stuff is great! I had told him that I still had terrible bm issues. He didn't want me straining. This stuff really does the trick. I would put off surgery if you are really a outdoors summer person. Have your dr order you some miralax and some enulose syrup and you should be able to go just fine.
Here is a link to it:http://www.gicare.com/pated/Miralax.htm
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Use...nulose,00.html
You can take the miralax for longer than 2 weeks. My colon dr gave me refills to last for 6 months. The enulose did not cause me any side effects either.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your summer !!!!!!
Peggy
Unread 05-12-2006, 02:01 PM
How long can you wait?

Thanks Audrey and all you other Ladies. I guess I am just going to try and deal with it all. I just can't seem to find out really how bad the prolaspe is? What stage I mean. I called the dr. office but no one called me back. Does anyone know what stage a 5 x 3.5 cm in diameter is. Is that bad or medium or large. The report does say small enterocele.

TeenaB
Unread 05-13-2006, 06:54 AM
How long can you wait?

Teena B,
I can't tell you what stage that is, but I wanted to tell you that I have been warned several times, that fixing my rectocele can lead to defects further up (entrocele).
I totally understand you frustration and I am trying to be patient, it is hard and no one understands. Thank goodness for this site. Good Luck to you - keep us posted in the future on how you are doing, I'm sure I will still be dealing. My HMO is sooooo slow - I am waiting now to try a pessary to see if that will help my bowels and my ever spasming bladder. I am just tied to the bathroom no matter what. Hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register