I don't fear the pain, surgery,or post op, but I fear | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I don't fear the pain, surgery,or post op, but I fear I don't fear the pain, surgery,or post op, but I fear

Unread 05-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't fear the pain, surgery,or post op, but I fear

being put to sleep! Why is this such a nerve wrecking feeling. I had 3 c/s, one was emergency, so I had general anest, and it was quite scarey when they put that mask over me! That something I never wanted to experience again (at the time)

I know they can do an epi, but why the added pain, of the actual needle and the back pain that lasts a few days after?! I'm not new to pain, and having 6kids I had my share of it, but if certain things like an epi can be avoided, I will.

Anyway can they sedate you before they give you general anesthesia? Also does anyone know if you wake up within minutes after surgery, or is it about an hr?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2006, 01:15 PM

This is what happened to me. They started me on a IV in pre-op that had a sedative in it, so I really wasn't scared or didn't care what they were doing to me by the time I was taken to surgery. Then he put the actual anesthetic in my IV in the operating room after he told me what he was doing and what to expect. I went out within seconds. Then he gave me a spinal, instead of an epidural, while I was out to help with post-op pain. I was in recovery before I knew it. When I woke up I was just mildly uncomfortable until they got my IV pain pump regulated.
Unread 05-11-2006, 01:16 PM

I felt just like you. I had never had any type of surgery before though so I had not experienced what you had. But I was very freaked out by it. It ended up being the best part of the whole thing basically. My IV went well and the anesthesiologist opted to give me a spinal and a twighlight med. He said you may feel a bit drunk and the next thing I knew they were taking my feet out of the stirrups! It went so smoothly as far as that went. The spinal was given to me after I was knocked out. The Dr told me it was the best way because then they don't have to tube my throat which is uncomfortable afterwards. Also my back was not sore afterwards either. The spinal was removed before I was woken up. Another plus is that the spinal last for about 24 hours after the surgery so you have really no pain for the first 24 hours. I went really smoothly for me. I wish you the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2006, 01:26 PM

Interesting, I didn't know you could be asleep while they gave you the epi/spinal. So neither of you were awake during the surgery?
Unread 05-11-2006, 02:30 PM

If you're anxious about the "mask", ask about it. With my last two surgeries, one time I had the mask, the other time I don't even remember it because they had me "out" without it. They injected something in my IV so I didn't care one bit what happened, and I honestly don't remember whether they used a mask at all.

Hope this helps.
Unread 05-11-2006, 06:49 PM

My TAH on April 25th was my first major surgery, but I have had general anesthesia for a previous procedure. In both cases I was given something by IV a few minutes before surgery that made me very relaxed. My surgery nurse referred to it as my pre-surgery Margarita!

I was nervous before meeting with the anesthesiologist a few minutes before surgery, but how he explained to me what was going to happen really put me at ease.

He said that this is going to be like taking a road trip. When we go on a road trip we check the oil level and the tire pressure in our car. We put on our seat belts and drive the speed limit. He said this procedure is like going on a road trip. We take every precaution for a safe journey.

For me, this explanation made sense and I realized that the best thing I could do is just relax and focus on the outcome.

I believe I woke up in the recovery unit about 15 or 20 minutes after my surgery. I'm not sure though. At that point, I was just relieved the surgery was over!

Hope this helps.
Unread 05-11-2006, 07:47 PM

How quick you wake after surgery is different for each person. I'm a sleeper. My surgery was at 7.30am and last 70 minutes. I didn't wake up, however, until noon. That's just how I am after a GA.
Unread 05-11-2006, 08:40 PM

I have had several operating room visits-- tonsils, IU scrape after birth (like a D&C,) gall bladder, foot, wisdom teeth-- so I am familiar with the whole "going under" thing. They gave me someting in the IV to relax, then they put me under in all of those circumstances. I will say, though, that I had terrifying fears during my second pregnancy about dying while under. It did not turn out to be true (obviously,) and I was out for about a half hour after that procedure.

For my hyster consult last week, my OBGYN set my mind at ease about the anesthesia by saying that "yes, it is true that by law we have to tell you that you can die from it, but it is statistically extremely low"-- they even have to tell us by law that when our uterus is removed that we will no longer be able to birthe children: Duh! (I wish I could remember the statistical number for you because it was a huge number compared to this next bit he told me.) He went on to say "your chances of dying from anestesia are so low that you are statistically more likely (by quite a bit) to get struck by lightning than you are to die from anesthesia." That was all it took for me to relax.

When I thought about my many years of living and how often I have NOT been struck by lightning, I really no longer cared about the anesthesia issue that is required to be told to us by law in our state.

I like the prior posting where the anesthetist talked about a road trip. That is a good way to think about it too. Good luck! I bet you will do great!
Unread 05-11-2006, 08:55 PM

Be sure and let the anesthesiologist know about your fear. For one surgery I was very nervous, and the last thing I remember I was still in the surgical prep area and my DH was sitting next to me. When I woke up, I was in my room, DH was still next to me. I even asked them if they changed their mind?

The anesthesiologist will be one of your very best friends that day. Tell him all your fears - he can help.

Kay
Unread 05-11-2006, 08:57 PM

Elk Queen's post reminded me that my doctor told me at my pre-op appointment that he had to inform me of all of the risks, but that my chance of getting in a car accident on the way to surgery was significantly higher than anything going wrong under anesthesia. I know it sounds a little strange but somehow that was reassuring to me!
I guess I figured once I arrived at the hospital I would be in a safer place than the freeway I drive to work on everyday!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register