Chime in - How are you handling this? :) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chime in - How are you handling this? :) Chime in - How are you handling this? :)

Unread 05-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Chime in - How are you handling this? :)

Just looking at my calendar, actually counting the days, I think it'll go quicker then I thought, I have quite alot going on, between DD's hip hop rehersals and recital, Memorial Day BBQ's & parties, hair appt, facial, pedicure & wax appt, the Mountain Jam Festival : )) some doctor appointments and a wedding on Long Island surgery will be here in no time. It's the night's that get to me...................if only I could sleep through a night without waking and worrying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2006, 06:59 PM

Since this thread started, my date at the castle got pushed from 5-22 to 6-2 because of tests for my suspected bleeding disorder. I'm adding a few things to my "list"! I think I'll work on training my dog so she won't jump on my tummy and have to be boarded (I'd miss her waaaay too much!), I'm looking at figuring out how I can do stuff online that I'd have to wait weeks to do otherwise, and I think I'll start walking twice a day (probably only half a block - I'm not feeling too hot) so I can increase my fitness level a tiny bit before surgery. AND I'm planning an "Over the Hedge" party for my husband's family so we can all blow off some steam. Also, I'm getting my friends' addresses together so I can start writing once a week after surgery.

It's so cool to hear what everyone's doing to keep from going absolutely bonkers before the big date! I'm freaking out about the whole thing, so all this stuff is helping some. If they push my surgery date back again....it might require major therapy!
Hugs,
Julia
Unread 05-16-2006, 07:31 PM

I have been very preoccupied with my upcoming surgery. It's only been five days since I saw my doctor and scheduled it, and I've only got ten days to go until surgery, so I'm sort of just cramming to get things done beforehand. My back yard needs a lot of yard work and I started that last Saturday until I slipped on a rock and sprained my ankle. Ended up going to the ER to get it checked out. Thank goodness I didn't break it!

I did get my tomato and pepper plants planted. Also got the chamomile planted but I still have to get my lavender in some pots.

I bought myself a new pair of slippers. I bought a new robe and slippers for when I had my D&C done on May 3rd, but I decided I needed yet another new pair of slippers.

I have a wedding to go to on Saturday so that'll keep my mind off things for a while.

On Sunday, I think I'll sit down and make a list of whatever I might need or want and go out and do some shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2006, 06:04 AM

movingforward, LOL that I might be a better knitter than you are. 20 years ago I was a decent knitter. Up until last Christmas it had been at least that long since I knitted anything. DH wanted a hat that a lady knitted for a church Craft Fair but someone snatched it up before we got to it. The first one I made ended up too small. I had to laugh at myself becasue it took me half an hour to finally get the yarn cast on properly. The second hat with different yarn and bigger needles turned out great. I am also planning to work on cutting squares for a large watercolo quilt banner I am making for the church sanctuary. I won't be doing any cutting for at least a couple of weeks after surgery. Those rotary cutters can be dangerous on a good day.
Yesterday I did a little pre-castle shopping. I decided that I needed something more comfortable than a bra to wear while I was spend a lot of time in my comfies. I have too teenage boys and I don't want to scar them for life. At Kohl's I found some light weight, stretchy, fitted camisoles and a very soft comfy bra. I doubt I would ever wear them in public. I think in future they will be good, "standing at the bus stop" bras. I also tend to take late showers when I get going on a project around the house. I think I will get plenty of use out of them aside from my recovery time. Even if I don't ever wear them again I think they are a good purchase for recovery time. I also bought my squirt bottles at Target. I'll have to take another Target run today with out my 19 year old tagging along. I absolutely must go to the grocery store and stop at a couple of other stores. I'm going to leave my house cleaning to the last and what gets done gets done. DH is very good about staying on top of that sort of thing and DS's are good if I tell the what needs to be done. I don't have to worry about meals too much because all of my men are very self-sufficeint in that department.
Unread 05-17-2006, 07:37 PM

Giggles, you are too funny. Wish I'd thought of that.

I live overseas and will be returning to the states 4 days before my surgery--just in time for my pre-op visit. So, I'm making travel arrangements for myself & my niece who lives with me. Included in that is getting my mom off this weekend to return there after 6 mths here. Also, I've had to make arrangements for her to get where I'll be for my surgery.

I'm trying to get my nest ready long-distance. I'll be staying with my dad and step-mom during recovery. Thankfully, my dad has empathy for me since he just had prostate surgery 2 years ago.

I've also found that I have a whole new reason for shopping which is my favorite past time. I'm doing most of it online, but that's good, too.
Unread 05-17-2006, 09:46 PM

I haven't really done anything! Mine's only a few days away, but I've honestly tried to keep life as typical as possible!

Now I'm wondering if I should take up a hobby or something!
Unread 05-17-2006, 09:58 PM

I had endometrial ablation, a D&C and multiple polyps removed on May 1st in treatment of heavy, prolonged bleeding. My labs came back not so good, so my doc actually scheduled my TAH as soon as the hospital had a time open, which is for Monday May 22. I have hardly had time this past two weeks to dwell on anything due to the whirlwind of doc appointments for labs, blood draws, pelvic and vaginal ultrasound (gotta love drinking 42 ounces of water and then holding while the tech takes a 15 minute break between patients! )

My "full panic mode" actually didn't start in earnest until the middle of the night Monday night. I sat up in bed and thought I was having a heart attack. Nope....just a doozy of an anxiety attack. Pretty much since then I have been hearing the same voice in my head that another poster talked about...you know "I'm having a hysterectomy! I'm having a hysterectomy!"..over and over. So...I started obsessing on the following details non-stop since early (3:42am) Tuesday morning...seems to be keeping me somewhat sane. (just don't ask my poor DH to confirm that!) LOL!

*Reading every post on Hystersisters!
*Making lists, checking them twice (Santa's got nuthin on me!)
*Shopping for loose cotton gown, light weight cotton robe, giant white Granny Panties, Colace, Gas-X, lip balm, lotion, travel sized toiletries, hand sanitizer and anti-bacterial wipes (hospital rooms harbor all kinds of germies on the bed rails, light switches and remote buttons-Nah, no OCD here!) lol!
*Cleaning the house
*Scrubbing the turtle tank
*Cleaning the fishbowl
*Stocked up on dog food, cat food, and chicken food.
*Easy meals in the freezer for DH, FIL and my Mom.
*Already packed, re-packed, and re-re-packed my Princess Carry-On for the trip to the Castle.
*Irritating DH with indepth details that make him turn green.
*Fluctuating between okay, clingy & needy, and crabby-all within 10 seconds. Or less.
*Recieving lots of hugs and kisses from DH and the dogs
*Pray, and trying to focus on all my blessings!
Unread 05-18-2006, 09:58 PM

Look2-- I am so totally with you on the fluctuations of okay, clingy/ needy and crabby within 10 seconds! My DH is attentive but certainly will be moving into the "yes, dear" mode soon.

When my little panic voice kicks in, I remind myself (including writing all of it down in my journal) the whole reason-- every gory detail-- of why I am getting this done. I figure while I am in the castle in great pain, I will question why I did this, and I will be able to read the journal entry of my experiences over and over again knowing that I need to get this done.

I, too, am creating nests of where I might hang out post op. I have my bed set up, and I got my regular meds refilled (so I don't have to wander to the pharmacist when in recovery.) I am prepping a scrapbook area (I envy those of you who can knit and quilt.) I have my patio furniture in place and my porch furniture ready to go. I still have to do a few installations like attaching the abnostrain to the bed and attaching the raised toilet seat.

I did the gardening thing. We had a cold snap and the tomatoes died. Luckily, we haven't gotten peppers yet. Everything else, like the peas, asparagus, rhubard and strawberries all made it.

This weekend I intend to do some cooking for easy meals. I need to actually go thru the offical list of things to bring to the castle and make sure I have packed everything (I have it all somewhere around the house-- I just need to consolidate it into one area.)

And the major thing I am doing is hanging out at Hsyter Sisters to keep my sanity. THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING HERE! With everyone's threads and replies, I know that I am not alone, and for that I am forever grateful.
Unread 05-18-2006, 10:35 PM

Many happy greetings to all of my sisters...we only scheduled my appt yesterday & my surgery is June 1st! So, I feel I am way behind on preparing for the upcoming visit to the castle. Reading the lovely board is helping. I called my dad & brother tonight to let them know. But, even though this is definitely a necessity, I am ohso scared and apprehensive, now that I finally made the decision to go through with this...a TAH at the age of (just) 37. No hormones afterwards, as my mom was diagnosed at 42 with breast cancer & eventually passed from that horrible disease. I feel so alone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register