Bring little project to hospital or not? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bring little project to hospital or not? Bring little project to hospital or not?

Unread 05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Bring little project to hospital or not?

Folky: I tend to agree with the other ladies that the jewelry may be too much. I brought a word search magazine and some cards, and while my DH and I did get in 1 hand (not 1 game, just 1 hand) of euchre, TV was about all I could handle. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you're coming along!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2006, 01:38 PM

Folky
During my stays, yes plural, I found that I did get bored very easily. I couldn't concentrate enough to read, looking at magazines got old and the television selection repeats too much. You may want to bring some of the simpler projects with you to work on. If they turn out add, you can call it your medicated collection! Honestly, the second visit I wish I would have had something like jewlery making to take me away to a happy place, but I didn't have time to plan. With you knowing ahead of time that you will be there longer than most of us due to your cancer, I say bring it. If you don't get to it then oh well. Leave Don Quitoe behind though, too much for the brain and morphine! Best wishes for a speedy and beautiful recovery!!
angie
Unread 05-23-2006, 01:59 PM

i think i am getting the big picture! i guess i have this driving urge to bounce back as quick as i possibly can. i know when i come out of anaesthesia i actually go into hyper mode! i feel a real need to be "normal" even at the risk of giving me a bad case of the stupids. i think living with hypothyroidism, always feeling like i have a foggy brain, i over compensate and have learned to put on a good alert appearance on the outside, although many times on the inside i am not fully sure of what i just did or said. this probably isn't the best way to describe it. i guess it's kind of like the left hand is knowing what the right hand is doing, but then the left hand goes waving off in other directions... i'll stop now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2006, 02:32 PM

Hi Folky! Hate to burst your bubble, but don't expect to do a whole heck of a lot at the hospital. I only had LAVH first thing in the morning, and it took forever just to finish my supper tray which was broth and juices. My thrill for the day was being able to get up to go pee. I thought I'd be bored, but too tired for that (and too busy peeing-LOL). I'm a week out and love to do the Sudoku puzzles and easier logic puzzles. Tried them and just can't get beyond the basics so I'm with word search puzzles right now. And I love "backspace" on my computer because it erases the many typing mistakes I make.
As for the cousin who didn't take painkillers, well, I don't think I'd believe her. Don't try to be superwoman and go without-you won't be able to concentrate on healing. Things seem great in the hospital because they have the good drugs LOL and nurses who give them to you when they are due, not when you wake up and remember them. I was virtually pain-free in the hospital, but when I got home, I noticed a difference, and faithfully took my pain meds on time, and slowly, as I was able, cut back on them. Always made sure to get a good sleep, though.
My roomie, same surgery, had a Readers Digest that she read. Maybe something like that might be good to pack. At home, start simple- you really do get in the brain.
Hope I haven't burst your bubble too badly, just don't want you to get frustrated with yourself.
Unread 05-23-2006, 02:56 PM

Maybe you could string the pendants (finishing touches.) Or if you braid, crochet or macrame the string or something, that might give you the small manipulatives you crave and still feel like you are accomplishing something. Especially if you took a pendant to make it a choker with the crochet as the neckpiece. I am not one to think that the whole deal of putting a clasp on would be within my power, but spending a few days there, you might be able to accomplish it.

Personally, I look forward to the napping and TV watching because I hardly get any sleep now with all the bleeding. Plus I figured that I have four weeks off work with DH ready to set up craft tables for me when the mood strikes and the body is willing. I really need to do some scrapbooking.
Luv you, Folky!!!! Super big hugz, and let's hope those reports come back with fabulous results!!!!
Unread 05-23-2006, 03:11 PM

At two weeks out, doing crafts is still out of the question. I, too, make jewlery and am looking forward to doing so while recovering. However, my ability to concentrate right now is somewhat limited. So I've opted not to push myself and listen to what my body needs, which is rest. While at the castle, all I did was try to get some sleep even though they were checking something every two hours and some hallway walking. Okay, make that a hallway shuffle slower than a turtle. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

Maxine
Unread 05-23-2006, 03:17 PM

I have a thumbnail of my clay art on my website at http://www.asherart.com/ (i hope i am allowed to post my website, if not, my sincere apologies ...I am not selling them there yet, so this isn't a spam advertisement either), so you can see what they involve. Mostly swirly clay coils around stones... probably a good project for someone on drugs, under different circumstances! But, my craftsmanship and quality has to be good. I never got around to making an actual web page for them. All my inventory was in a gallery, so I didn't post any online. Since I have them back I will try to market them. Maybe something to do while I am recovering.

Now I probably won't bring it with me to the hospital, and I am also looking for some "lighter" reading material!

Thanks all!
Unread 05-23-2006, 03:49 PM

I'm taking a deck of cards to have something to fiddle with. After my first abdominal surgery my mom had to keep telling me to let go of my hands. I kept interlocking them until they were turning purple. No idea what that was about but I'm hoping having something to play with will help. I'm a smoker so I have that feeling of NEEDING something to do with my hands. When I was a kid I would shuffle cards for hours.
Unread 05-23-2006, 05:50 PM

Folky! Checked your web site....beautiful work!
Unread 05-23-2006, 05:58 PM

I agree!! very cool! I was going to ask if I could hook up my play station at the hospital (semi joking, i kinda knew they would frown on that).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register