Getting a little scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting a little scared Getting a little scared

Unread 05-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Getting a little scared

I am 9 days pre-op and getting more and more nervous. It is almost like I don't know what to do with myself. At least my house is clean.
Odd question. I absolutely 100% hate pads, as anyone tried using something like depends (the pull up type)?
I really wish that this was over.
I did not start getting scared/nervous until I started my period yesterday and it is all so final.
Oh well,hope to talk soon.
Jeanette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Getting a little scared

I don't understand do you mean for now or after?
Unread 05-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Lol

Ok I am a goof. I mean for after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Getting a little scared

After I had mine I had no bleeding at all. So I needed nothing. The Dr told me not to bring any pads with me. if you want you can IM me at [email protected] or [email protected]
Unread 05-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Getting a little scared

Hi Jenny! When I woke from my surgery, they put a heavy type pad on me and I didn't bleed enough to really soak it and after I was able to get up on my own, the hospital provided only the large pads. You could take along mini pads for more comfort depending on how much bleeding you do afterward. Just make sure they're not the scented kind. You really shouldn't have that much bleeding afterward. You can talk with your doctor or nurse about that. I wish I could help in the nervous department but it's always easier for someone who's been through it to say everything will be ok. I was really nervous too. If you have any favorite hobbies to do while you wait, that helps. This site is great on informing you about all of what you can expect before and after the surgery. Thoughts and prayers for you on the 1st!! Diana
Unread 05-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Getting a little scared

Thank you both very much. Just knowing there is someone out there does feel better. I just hope I don't drive everyone insane in the process.
Unread 05-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Getting a little scared

Don't worry about that! That's what we're here for.
Diana
Unread 05-23-2006, 01:30 AM
Getting a little scared

Hey Jenny,
It's o.k. to be nervous. We'd be crazy not to be. I put my surgery off for almost 3 years because I was afraid. My last period was bad enough to finally say "that's it - I've had enough". Monday was 4 weeks for me post-op. It hasn't always been easy, but at least it's behind me now and maybe I can go forward with my life now. Surround yourself with people who love and care about you. I think just about everyone I know, knew I was going to have surgery and I asked them to remember me in their thoughts and prayers. It made me feel a lot better and I came through the surgery just fine. After surgery, don't rush your recuperation time. Let your body adjust and heal. You'll be feeling much better in no time. Don't forget your sisters are here to help you along in your recovery. I don't think there has been even one question I've had in my mind that hasn't been asked or been discussed on this site and it's very comforting to know that they're all out there and ready to answer all our questions (even the one's we might think are totally ridiculus). Take care and I'll be thinking about you and your caregivers.
Texas Gal
41, tah, kept ovaries, endo, adom.hernia repair
Unread 05-23-2006, 02:48 AM
Getting a little scared

When I was in the hospital they gave me these mesh stretchy panties to wear and the large pads, so in a way it was almost like a depends-type thing as they form to your body's shape and seem to hold the pad more comfortably. Yes, the last period was weird; I remember I even got a little misty-eyed about it and my 12 yr. old DD just rolled her eyes and said "You're weird, Mom." I'm not a huge fan of pads either, but you may not have much bleeding and will be able to use a thin pad or panty shield once you get home, but you can't use tampons as nothing can be put in the vagina for about 6 weeks post-op (depending on what your doctor recommends). Look at it this way, though - after this, you'll never have to use them again! I spent almost all my free time on this site while I was home a few days waiting for the surgery - heck, I still do! I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found it; there is so much information and support here that you couldn't find anywhere else! Good luck to you, and try not to be too nervous - as we say here the waiting is the hardest part, and afterwards you'll wonder what all the fuss was about! Take care.

Unread 05-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Getting a little scared

Hi Jenny2006:

I'm 2 weeks post op today and had a TAH BSO (age 46). I had my last period about a week and a half before my surgery which just reinforced my decision to do it. My periods had gotten so heavy, I was using both super plus tampons and full size pads together and my period pain was worse than my post op pain.

I had an excellent nurse who prepped me for surgery. She was pretty "no nonsense" about everything, but was great at doing my IV (which I dreaded) - virtually painless. At which point she whispered in my ear "You will be so happy you did this. I was."

They were ready for me in surgery 1 hr ahead of schedule and this is what I remember next. The nurse anestheseologist came in with some medication for my IV to relax me. She said it would feel like I had a couple of margaritas and they would wheel me down to surgery. I remember thinking "I don't think they gave me enough. I'll need some....." Then I heard a voice telling me, "Okay, we're taking you to your room now." I was in recovery!

I had the mesh hospital panties (very comfortable) and large pads in the hospital, but virtually no bleeding at all - just a tiny bit of brownish spotting.

My whole experience has been very positive. Best of luck to you in 8 days.

Glow

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register