What 'kind' of pain is it afterwards? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What 'kind' of pain is it  afterwards? What 'kind' of pain is it afterwards?

Unread 05-23-2006, 09:38 PM
What 'kind' of pain is it afterwards?

My surgecal team was not on top of my meds when I came out and they waited too long to give me meds. I had an excruciating burning type pain when they moved me into my room but once my DH insisted that someone give me some pain meds. I was fine. The burning sensation would start to come back when it was time for more meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2006, 10:18 PM

The worst pain I had was when i woke up in the recovery room. It felt like the worst menstral cramps that I had ever experienced. I had a wonderful nurse in the recovery room who quickly started giving me morphine. After I left the recovery room I had a morphine pump. That really helped. I was supposed to be in the hospital for 2-3 days but was released the next day. I was determined to get out of the castle. They never leave you alone. But was glad that they were taking care of me, even though I was exhausted. Hope all goes well with your procedure. Good luck
Unread 05-23-2006, 11:35 PM

I had the morphine pump as well but it didnt change thelevel of the slight pain that I experienced since for some reason the anesthesia did not completely wear off until almost after I was discharged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2006, 02:28 PM

mostly sore inside under the incision. the nurses should keep you on top of the pain. i just had shots of demerol every 4 hours and the bruies from the shots seem to be the worst of it. when you get home thats a different story. the hospital bed was cake compared to getting in and out of my own bed. but just take it slow again the nurses will help you with all you need to know so don't be afraid to ask for help.Good Luck.
Unread 05-26-2006, 08:16 PM
demerol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbirds
mostly sore inside under the incision. the nurses should keep you on top of the pain. i just had shots of demerol every 4 hours and the bruies from the shots seem to be the worst of it. when you get home thats a different story. the hospital bed was cake compared to getting in and out of my own bed. but just take it slow again the nurses will help you with all you need to know so don't be afraid to ask for help.Good Luck.
BTW sisters...did u know that you can TELL your Dr. that you WOULD PREFER that any injections be administered via your I.V.? You should be able to do this with ease to avoid the bruising and repeated pain of an injection. Your Dr. should not have a problem with this either. Just make sure he knows before you go into surgery or when he does the hospital follow-up. Otherwise the nurses will do a regular skin injection.
Unread 05-26-2006, 08:20 PM

Thank you! That is good to know for when I go in. I still have bruises on my arms from them trying to "find"my veins on the last visit (4 weeks ago!). My right thigh hasn't worked properly since, what with all the jabbing in of Demoral.
Unread 05-26-2006, 10:53 PM

I thought it was weird, but to me it felt like the afterpains after you give birth. That's what I compare it to. Also times of bad menstrual type feelings. I also had a morphine pump that really was doing nothing for me, so my dr gave me a shot a toradol along with the morphone and htat really made a difference.
Unread 05-27-2006, 04:08 AM

Imagine when you cut yourself shaving and the stinging kind of pain you feel? Well, this is just a much bigger version of that; you definitely have the feeling of having been cut, except that your entire abdomen is also sore inside because of all the moving around they have to do inside you with all your organs. My c-section was a low horizontal scar which healed very well as gravity was going with it, but my vertical incision that I had with both my last surgery and the hyst was more difficult and painful as gravity goes against it. Coughing and sneezing are also very painful, and having a pillow handy to press against your stomach when this happens is a very good idea. I'm in my 5th week now and the pain I have now is more of a burning pain, and it's much less intense. You will also get very bad gas pains, and a good antacid is a must (I like Maalox). The pain killers they give you are necessary to helping you heal properly as it allows you to use your energy to heal instead of to manage pain, so don't feel like you have to tough it out and not take them - you need them! Try not to get scared reading everything here as we're just sharing our own experiences, and your experience will be your own. I felt much more prepared for my surgery after reading both the good and bad things here ahead of time, as I learned so much here that I had never even thought of. Good luck to you!

Unread 05-27-2006, 08:21 AM

I am 12 days post op and have sharp pains and very sore at my incision site. I had a tah.
Unread 05-27-2006, 09:41 AM

I can't speak for anyone else,but for me,the only internal pain that I had with my TAH was a raw burning pain on the OUTSIDE of my bladder for about 3 days from where they peeled my uterus off of it cuz of adhesions there. Otherwise my pain was all in my incision and abdominal muscles and even then it really wasn't too painful for me. I really just sailed right through the hyst. That darn incision was rather itchy after about a week of healing. Now if we want to talk about how I felt during and after I had my small bowel obstruction and vertical incision from the repair on 3-24-06....that's a whole other story!! lol All I will say about that right now is O.....M.....G!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register