Wondering about bowel prep, etc. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wondering about bowel prep, etc. Wondering about bowel prep, etc.

Unread 05-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Wondering about bowel prep, etc.

What is a fleet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2006, 04:37 PM

A "fleet" refers to an enema -- it's a brand name, I believe.

I didn't have to do any bowel prep, and I didn't have any dietary restrictions... they did everything right at the hospital. Some do have bowel preps and others don't.

Whatever you do, though -- do exactly as the doctor orders. If you don't have to do a bowel prep, don't try to do one on your own, and if he/she says you can eat the day before -- you really can.

Hope this helps.
Unread 05-27-2006, 04:50 PM

I had to do an enema the night before....not a big deal. Best wishes on your trip to the castle! Take care....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2006, 08:13 PM

he didn't but I will be having a glass of wine wednesday night
Unread 05-27-2006, 08:51 PM

he didn't what?

i can't think of what day of the week your surgery falls on, but I would stay away from the alcohol if it's within 24 hours of your surgery. I didn't have to do a bowel prep prior to surgery, but I did watch what I ate a bit.
Unread 05-27-2006, 09:22 PM

She had asked about alcohol, my surgery is Thursday and I always have a glass, well not really class it is about the amount of a small dixie cup usually with dinner.
Unread 05-27-2006, 09:49 PM

my surgery was 4 weeks ago.
the doc told me that i would need to give myself an enama the night before surgery so my bowels would be empty just in the off chance during surgery they might accidently nick the bowel. that way no bowel contents would leak out and cause infection.
i told the doc i understand the need for emptying the bowels but MY BACKDOOR SAYS EXIT ONLY! :confuse:
i literlay said it that way. i said i just cant stick anyting in my butt and i cant do it, so i asked if i could do a clear liquid diet instead. she said that would be ok so i only had water and broth for 3 days.i know that sounds silly to some but the thought of putting anything 'there' freaks me out.
starving for 3 days was not easy either but for me it was better then the ever dreaded enema. lol good luck with whichever method of emptying you choose. i know its all so scary before hand. im glad we have this site to ask these type of questions.
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:34 PM

My bowl prep started at noon the day before....had to drink 8 oz. of this aweful tasting stuff every 10-15 minutes. It took me 2 1/2 hours...that's how much I had to drink. Was also only allowed liguid to "eat" (jello and chicken broth)...nothing after midnight. Surgery was'nt until 1:30 the next day! I would have done ANYTHING for a cup of coffee that morning!!
Unread 05-27-2006, 11:18 PM

Don't go by what the rest of us have done; talk to your doctor and find out what prep he/she wants you to do. If your doctor requires no bowel prep and you decide to do it anyway, you could wind up getting severely dehydrated and having your surgery canceled on you.

Listen to your doctor. We can only tell you what we did; we can't advise you in this area.
Unread 05-28-2006, 11:14 AM

My nurse that did the pre-op stuff said I can have coffee, small amount, but with no sugar up until 6am since I am to be at hospital at 9am. I drink my coffee with sugar plus the creme brulee flavored creamer (tons of suger), so I guess I'll stick with water that morning. Everyone around me will just have to suffer "the beast" that will come out when I don't have my coffee first thing.

I actually preferred an enema to that nasty stuff they make you drink. It also took me forever to get it down, at least you can't taste an enema. (previous surgeries)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register