Wondering about bowel prep, etc. - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wondering about bowel prep, etc. Wondering about bowel prep, etc.

Unread 05-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Wondering about bowel prep, etc.

Loans all Doctors must be different mine told my not to worry about bowl pre and nothing about drinking, but I think I will eat very light tomorrow and not drink so I can feel like I have prepared best for me. I have a teacup pom I guess we Texas girls like our froo froo's. Her name is Princess Emmy, and I have asked DH to bring her to see me in her bag (he thinks I'm goofy). LOL on your surgery talk to you on the other side!
TediB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2006, 01:01 PM

No bowel prep for me. My doctor said the less torture she had to put me through, the better. I do bowel preps every three years for colonoscopies and they do dehydrate you. Glad I didn't have to do one for this surgery!
Unread 05-28-2006, 03:24 PM

Ladies, unless your doctor has told you to do something specific for prep in the way of diet, it's not necessary to change your diet the day before. I had no bowel prep; I just couldn't have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before. I just ate like I regularly do, and I did fine.

Please don't try to do a prep your doctor hasn't ordered for you, just because other women here have done it.

Please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2006, 05:43 PM

Oh man, I wish I could've eaten the day before my surgery. My doc said nothing to eat for 24 hrs prior to surgery, only clear liquids to drink...and I had to do a bowel prep starting at 4pm the day before. I had to drink this stuff called Magnesium Citrate...the "sparkling laxative"....sparkling??? Yea right! It was sooo sour tasting. I had to drink 20 oz of it. It took me forever to drink all that. So, I agree, every doctor is different, and have their own way of doing things. Wierd though, we pretty much do the same thing, and we have to do it differently. Kind of interesting.
Unread 05-28-2006, 05:53 PM

tinkle34 Did you have abdomial or vaginal hyst. ? I am not trying to invade your privacy. It just seems that those who have abdominal require bowel voiding. That makes it sound a bit better. Hope you are feeling well.
Unread 05-28-2006, 06:02 PM

I'm scheduled to have abdominal and they said I should do one...they said I could do it that morning...however, i think I'll do it the evening before as my surgery is scheduled early in the a.m. Not looking forward to it at all And pray to the heavens that I can do it alone! LOL
Unread 05-28-2006, 06:07 PM

I had to do bowel prep for my laparascopic AND my abdominal previous surgeries, but no bowel prep for the abdominal hyst Tuesday. It is definitely the doc's preference. I'm guessing your pre-op appointment is Tuesday since that's the only day left before your castle date. You'll find out then, just do whatever your doc tells you to do.
Unread 05-28-2006, 06:08 PM

I had a LAVH 2 weeks ago. I was told that the reason for doing this was just in case they had to go abdominal. I am feeling well right now, during surgery I had my bladder nicked, so I'm having to wear a catheter/leg bag right now, for 2 more weeks....other than that, it's all good
Unread 05-28-2006, 06:13 PM

Best of luck to you. We are scheduled the same day mine is also early. I have my pre-op on 5-30. I also would do it the night before w/early schedule. I am also going to be alone prior/after; sure hope the few people who have offered help will be if I need help. Take care of yourself.
TAH/BSO ASCUS paps for years
Unread 05-28-2006, 06:17 PM

I did not have to do any bowel prep, and, I was allowed to have alcohol the night before surgery. I didn't have any, but I did ask, and the doctor said it was okay.

But, I'd definitely do exactly what your doctor says--each case is different, so the pre-op instructions may be as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register