Adenomyosis concerns -- how is it diagnosed? (2006) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenomyosis concerns -- how is it diagnosed? (2006) Adenomyosis concerns -- how is it diagnosed? (2006)

Unread 06-08-2006, 02:36 AM
Adenomyosis concerns -- how is it diagnosed? (2006)

Thanks for the reference to this site.It was easy to read and very straight forward!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2006, 03:37 AM

I found out after surgery and the dr said it would have been a factor along with the endo why I had been in such bad pelvic pain.
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:02 AM

The one symptom I have not seen mentioned on here is the brown discharge that comes at the end of a period. With adeno, the blood is usually trapped long enough to turn to a murky brown color and it takes longer to exit the body, so you will usually see it at the end. For some women, this discharge can continue between periods. Some doctors like to tell you that as you get older this happens and they don't tie into adeno, but more and more they are realizing it is a symptom of trapped blood which happens to be part of adenomyosis. I was not at all surprised when I was told this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2006, 06:18 AM

That's interesting because I had long periods which ended like you describe. I remember mentioning that the blood was fresh to start and ended up old looking.
Unread 06-08-2006, 01:16 PM

Hi ! I had my suspicions confirmed that what I had was adenomyosis after my hysterectomy at my second post-op visit to my dr (they had pathology report). I had incredibly heavy bleeding for years, which were getting much worse and finally on a Tuesday at the end of January I actually hemorhaged, had to go to the ER and had an emergency hysterectomy the following day (abdominal but kept my cervix and ovaries--thanks to knowledge gained from research I had done in trying to figure out just what was wrong with me). That has been by far one of the best things that has happened to me, I have my life back where I can actually leave the house and "not leak/gush" due to having a period. Physically and emotionally I am worlds better than where I was a year ago. I hope all goes well for you and I hope that your quality of life is about to become much, much better as a result of your hysterectomy, just like mine did! Enjoy the "down time" afterwards also because even though it seems to drag, you'll be back to the norm before you know it! Good luck!

katie
Unread 06-08-2006, 08:23 PM
to: kcp5

Hi there,

when was your surgery. I'm guessing about 1 year ago. Mine is scheduled for 6/22/06. I'm very nervous. I will also just be having only my uterus removed. as long as my surgeon doesn't find anything else wrong. How long did it or will it take till your able to move around normally.

melash
Unread 06-09-2006, 02:15 AM

I was diagnosed with it and feel so much better after the surgery. The surgeon removed my uterus and gave me my life back! Good luck with your surgery.

Firefly123
Unread 06-09-2006, 06:17 AM

My surgery was on January 26th. Since I was haviang the severe bleeding, I was resigned to the fact that I was having a hysterectomy, but I think my guardian angel knew I might back out and that's why it became an emergency and I didn't have much time to think and entered the hospital via the ER! I am, if you can believe it, thankful for it ending up that way! A hysterectomy is a milestone, a major event, in one's life. It's not like anything else, at least for me. There are so many emotions that tie in along with the physical healing - but it is such a good thing and I wish doctors (at least ones I've seen) wouldn't make it seem so bad. I have a friend going through a similiar situation. She's over 40, definitely done having children, bleeding so severe she gets iron via IV I believe and yet the doctors are hesitant to do the hysterectomy. I wish I had known just how much better things would be for me - I would have done it sooner. Every now and then I'll think about how my life is no longer affected by my period (ie able to go on class trips w/my son and not have to think "what if I have my period????!!!) and I'll just turn to my husband and say how glad I am that it's done and I did it. I kept my cervix and ovaries since there was not anything wrong w/them and I just felt it was right for me. I still get PMS and it's weird not having the flow afterwards as I was used to, and I can honestly say that I feel 1000 times better than I did a year ago! If I can help aleve anyone's fears, please let me know. I had a friend who had just had her's when I went through mine and it helped so much having someone who "survived" it there - I still give her a hug to thank her when I run into her, just for being there so I could see that she turned out fine, so should I.

Melash--you're going to be fine. It's going to hurt and you won't feel so good the first couple of days, but boy is it worth it. Give in to the pampering and down-time. Just focus on how much better your quality of life will be and how each day after the surgery is a day past the worst part and a day towards the good part of it all. Be sure to treat yourself in any way you can think. Accept any and all help that is offered and remember that you would do the same, so why not? Good luck!

Katie
Unread 06-10-2006, 12:28 PM

Hi Melash,
I too was diagnosed with adeno after my hysterectomy. One factor that has not been mentioned here is previous trauma to the uterus. Some doctors think it may be a contributing factor to adeno. In my case I had had three previous c-sections.Did it cause the adeno? I don't know, but recovery wise here is how I did: I was able to sit in a chair 12 hours after surgery. I then walked own the hall a few hours after that. The first few movements are tough, but necessary to get your system moving and on the road to recovery. I went home three days after surgery and took short walks around my house several times a day. Little by little I worked up to normal activity, but I felt GREAT not having the adeno pain. Even in the hospital I felt better. Of course there is the pain from surgery, but I tried to prepare myself and do exactly what the doctor said.I had very little pain, but a lot of fatigue after surgery. At almost 6 months out my energy level is about 90% normal and I feel great and you will too!!
Unread 06-10-2006, 03:44 PM

Wow! I am learning a great deal on this thread. I go for my first post-op with surgeon on Monday, so I am full of questions. I am sure that I had this, as well as the endo, prolapse and adhesions, which were already known. I am really starting to get excited about how good I will feel once I am fully recovered. I only took the morphine pump post-op for about 18 hours (mostly because it put me right to sleep even with blood drawn and blood pressure check every hour on the hour). From there on out, it's been only motrin, and I am only in serious, burning pain, when I belly laugh! I want to see my labs, and if I have this, it will be the first time it has ever been mentioned by any OBGYN that I have seen.
Mandy
  Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpw3zk
The one symptom I have not seen mentioned on here is the brown discharge that comes at the end of a period. With adeno, the blood is usually trapped long enough to turn to a murky brown color and it takes longer to exit the body, so you will usually see it at the end. For some women, this discharge can continue between periods. Some doctors like to tell you that as you get older this happens and they don't tie into adeno, but more and more they are realizing it is a symptom of trapped blood which happens to be part of adenomyosis. I was not at all surprised when I was told this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register