Returning To Work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning To Work Returning To Work

Unread 06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Returning To Work

My LAVH is scheduled for June 7th, I will be having my cervix and ovaries removed also as my mum died from ovarian cancer (didn't know she had it til she went for her hystrectomy, so I am really scared about the whole procedure), so I was interested to know when would it seem likely that I will be able to go back to work. My bosses have told me to take all the time I need as they would rather me be healthy first. My doctor said some patients have gone back in 2 to 4 weeks...isn't this too soon? I thought 6 weeks the same as my friends. I would be interested to see what the thoughts were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Returning To Work

Well everyone is different. It depends on what you do at work and what type of hyst. I had a TAH. For me I am taking 10 weeks off. I have a physically demanding job. So it really depends on you and how you are feeling and what you can do post-op. Definately don't rush going back...you only have one time to heal right. Best wishes to you an your surgery next week.
Unread 06-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Returning To Work

I have a desk job, but I am taking at least 6 weeks off. The dr. seems to be OK with 4-6 weeks, but is letting me kind of have some input there. I think we'll just see how I feel at 6 weeks-- if I need a couple more weeks, I'm sure she will support that and write the note for me. I am not trying to take advantage of my employer, but I've been there almost 10 years and taken very few sick days, so I want to be able to heal completely before I come back to face the stresses of managing employees and coping with customers, etc. Believe me, if I feel great in 4 weeks, I'll talk to my dr. about letting me go back early, but like they say here, you only have one chance to heal correctly! Pamper the Princess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Returning To Work

Dr could have cleared me after 4 weeks, but I asked for 6. I have to travel an hour to get to work, and the work itself is high stress. Everyone I have spoken with has encougaged me to take more than 4 weeks, so I finally listened.
Unread 06-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Returning To Work

I'm a nurse in a physician's office and I could have sworn my GYN told me that I could return to a desk job in two weeks after an abdominal hyst...Is he yanking my chain?
Unread 06-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Returning To Work

I had LAVH also. My Dr. said 4 weeks minimum and 6 would be better. He was spang on...I went back part time at 4 weeks, and I could do it (I have a desk job), but I would have been much more ready at 6 weeks. Sitting (in a straight chair, or an office chair) was actually the last thing I was comfortable doing. Walking, stairs and general activity I could do quite well...but not sitting. It was really only at about 8 weeks that I realized I wasn't having any abdominal discomfort at all any more... I'm at 10 weeks now and pretty much back to normal activity, so I don't think I was particularly slow in my recovery. If you can take 6 weeks, I'd say, do it!
Unread 06-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Returning To Work

thanks for all you thoughts on the subject. I am not going to push myself and just see how I feel. Its great that I found this board, it helps alot

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register