Is c-Section like a Hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is c-Section like a Hysterectomy? Is c-Section like a Hysterectomy?

Unread 06-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Is c-Section like a Hysterectomy?

Hello! Haven't had a c-section but can point out the major differences that make a TAH a much more complicated procedure requiring longer and different recovery:
redirection of arteries providing blood flow to the uterus
cutting of ligaments holding uterus/cervis in place
the above require hundreds of internal stitches
not to mention any procedures to address complications that may have been caused by the condition necessitating the hysterectomy.
I asked about this when someone at work compared my then upcoming TAH to a c-section...really there is little comparison other than the incision site!
Good luck - it's not that bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian45
Could some one who has had a C-Section and a TAH-BSO, Are these two very much alike, I am so scared, i want to cancel, Surgery Tuesday.
Thanks!!!
absolutely not.... i never had surgery before, but i was in such pain that i welcomed it. it was the easiest thing i have ever done..
Unread 06-03-2006, 06:44 PM

I too asked this question a couple of weeks ago, but didn't get many replies, so thank you ladies for clearing it all up for all of us LIW
I have had 4 c-sections, and figured if I could handle them, I can handle this I guess.... LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2006, 07:00 PM

Hi there.
I had a cesarian section with my son 18 years ago ( he was a 10 pound baby ) and 2 weeks ago had a TAH/BSO. My incision from the hysterectomy is a few inches longer than my c-section scar which surprised me because my son was a BIG baby! It did feel different to have the hysterectomy compared to the c-section. I guess cause when you deliver a baby that way they are only taking the baby and yes there are stitches like with the hysterectomy but during the hysterectomy they take out organs. For me personally the hysterectomy was harder on me, maybe because I am 18 years older, not sure really. But sweetie don't cancel your surgery because obviously its necessary to have it done. After the first 2 weeks you start feeling better and better every day... at least that was the case with me. I think the scariest part for any of us is the fear of the "unknown". But once its over you will feel so much better!
HUGS!
Unread 06-03-2006, 07:59 PM

I too remember feeling that way a month prior to surgery and also had thoughts to cancel the surgery. My doctor said it was not uncommon to people to "bug out". I rationalized the situation by listing my fears, my only fear was I didn't know what to expect painwise afterwards and that my list contained lots more upsides post surgery - no pain, cramping, bleeding! I too had a TAH BSO because of severe endo and ade and apart my incision and my somewhat limited physical abilities - I already feel soooo much better. No cramps and bleeding in 3 weeks....that's amazing!!! I can only image how much better it will be after 8 weeks! This website is an accurate and terrific reference source for what to expect pre and post op. Take a deep breath and keep busy. The waiting is the hardest.
Unread 06-03-2006, 11:58 PM

I had a c-section 8 years ago (big baby) and 2 years ago I had an ovary and tube removed and they reminded me of the same thing. Same incision, same pain and same bad haircut! But, I was up and at'em in about 4 days for both. Good thing I get 2 months off work!
I am having a TAH on Friday and I can't for the life of me figure out why didn't just do it 2 years ago. I have gone through so much pain in the past year!
I am looking forward to being normal again
Unread 06-04-2006, 08:23 AM

I had 1 C-Section 16 years ago and was hoping for a TVH, but at this year's exam, he told me that my uterus was too high due to scar tissue from C-section and would have to have a TAH/BSO. The positive way that I am trying to look at it is...this time I will be healing with a 16 year old to help, not a needy infant!! I am sure that the pain will be about the same as before, but as the others said, I am OLDER now, too. Good Luck!!
Unread 06-04-2006, 09:52 AM

Me too, Me too!! I had two c-sections (big babies) and an endometrial ablation six months after last section. All three of those surgeries were similar to the one I am going through now. I had a TAH/BSO 2.5 weeks ago. I do find myself taking longer to heal, but I feel good. I was only on pain meds for 2 days and I started walking and moving only hours after surgery. Now, I still have some tenderness on my abs and after some moderate activity (cleaning, cooking) I am a little more sore at night, but nothing really bad. As for swelly belly, I don't have it, only had it for about 5 days right after I got home. I am not using HRT's, but I noticed I do get warm flashes at night. I had those before surgery though. Sleeping is probably the only thing I have slight problems with. BUT, I am still taking daytime naps, so I am getting the required 8 hours a day. Don't cancel surgery hon....You'll be fine and when you get to the other side you'll be GREAT. What is two months recouperation out of the rest of your LIFE! Good Luck!
Kisses, Shawn
Unread 06-04-2006, 11:32 AM
I was going to post this same question myself today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~five~
I too asked this question a couple of weeks ago, but didn't get many replies, so thank you ladies for clearing it all up for all of us LIW
I have had 4 c-sections, and figured if I could handle them, I can handle this I guess.... LOL

I had 2 sections and I'm realizing from reading these posts that I may not be playing Bunco 10 days after my surgery!
Unread 06-04-2006, 11:54 AM

Thank you so much ladies. I, too, have had 2 c sections. My doc told me the recovery would be similar, but as he is male, I really don't know how he could accurately compare. This helped alot!

ON another note...My doc told me (after a lapro) that I had to have a TAH due to the location of my endo...he would not be able to treat it with the other methods. I also need some reconstruction, so thats another issue. But, to make yourself more comfortable, maybe call your doctor and schedule an appt to address your concersn. I did that. i had so many questions that I expected the doc to just automatically answer. Nope. I called the nurse and she said, Oh, just come in and pick up your papers for the hospital. I said, um, no. Pencil me in for the 15th and tell doc to give me at least 30 minutes to pick his brain. I think if you have more of your questions answered you will feel much more secure going into it.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register