unrelated arm soreness?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

unrelated arm soreness?? unrelated arm soreness??

Unread 06-07-2006, 10:06 AM
unrelated arm soreness??

The oddest thing....I am 2 weeks post-op for a TAH, and in the hospital I had intervenous in my left arm (top of the forearm). Last night this arm became slightly swollen, warm to the touch, red, and sore. It is the same this morning! My DR is in surgery, so I have to go to another doctor to have it checked out.

The RN on the phone said it might be a collasped vein, but unlikely because the surgery was 15 days ago...she wondered if I got bit by a bug ( I was outside on my deck yesterday)...Anyone ever hear of this? It's making me a bit nervous since my recovery has been so wonderful!

My appt today isn't until 3:30, so I have a few hours to sweat it out....keep your fingers crossed it is nothing serious. Thanks girls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2006, 11:21 AM
unrelated arm soreness??

Pretty in pink, i had loads of arm pain post surgery...still do but i had major bruising from the IVs and the a-line (whatever that is!!) which they made 4 attempts to get in...twice in each arm.

i really don't have much helpful info for you. just glad to hear you are getting seen by the doc today. they will have a better idea than any of us. kudos for you for taking care of yourself!!!

sending good vibes your way.
Unread 06-07-2006, 11:55 AM
unrelated arm soreness??

I had that last summer in my leg, it was a bug bite that go infected that fast. They had to open it up, it made a pingpong size hole in my leg! They had to put meds in it and pack it. I'm not telling you all this to scare you but to prepare you, I had no idea that could happen. They think it was probably a spider that bit me???

And it could just be an issue with you vein, keep us updated, I'm praying it will be okay...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2006, 12:23 PM
unrelated arm soreness??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty`in`pink
The oddest thing....I am 2 weeks post-op for a TAH, and in the hospital I had intervenous in my left arm (top of the forearm). Last night this arm became slightly swollen, warm to the touch, red, and sore.
The symptoms you describe are also symptoms of a DVT (blood clot). I had a DVT in my leg, but they can also form in the arm.

I'm glad you are having this checked out but until you do keep the arm as still as possible. Please let us know what the doctor tells you.
Unread 06-08-2006, 09:00 AM
unrelated arm soreness??

Just an update...the diagnosis of the arm is superficial phlebitis! Do you believe almost 15 days post op?? I am back on antibiotics, and warm soaks to my arm 20 minutes on - 20 minutes off...

Oh well...just a minor set back...it feels much better today
Unread 06-08-2006, 09:28 AM
unrelated arm soreness??

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 06-08-2006, 10:23 AM
unrelated arm soreness??

Thanks Emilyrose...the warm compresses do feel good, and so far there has be no change in the redness or swelling - if anything, my Hubby says it looks better then yesterday The RN at my doc's office said to give the antibiotic at least 48 hours to "kick - in".....

I am one of those people who will call a doc for something I think might be "out of whack"....its my body - who knows it better?

Happy healing~~~
Unread 06-08-2006, 03:16 PM
unrelated arm soreness??

Glad you're doing better but don't wait around one second if the pain and swelling doesn't get any better after 48 hours. Go back to the doctor or another doctor until you get relief.
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:19 PM
unrelated arm soreness??

Don't worry Georgia - I won't wait - and besides, my husband would not let that happen! He has been my angel thru all of this Right now, I would say it is 90% better! There is no redness, and no longer warm to the touch - just some slight swelling. I am continuing to do exactly what the doc told me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register