Milk of magnesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Milk of magnesia Milk of magnesia

Unread 06-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Milk of magnesia

anyone know if it is ok to take this? I am constipated!
I had surgery tuesday and I am feeling great except this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Milk of magnesia

Hi Ash, sister do I ever hear ya. It's been a year but I can remember being "bogged up" for 5 days. I called my dr and asked for help. He told me to go ahead and take Correctal or anything I was use to taking because I didn't need that pressure in there.
I'll bet money that it's fine to take that. But it would be best to call first. Really. He may not want the intense BM you can get from that. See, in my case it would have been worse to wait.
Just make a little call.
Unread 06-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Milk of magnesia

I was 5 days out and still hadn't had a bm. Called my Dr. and she advised Correctol that night, and a fleets in the a.m. if it did not work. I took the Correctol and it worked. That was all it took to get me started again. I also take 2 stool softeners daily. GOOD LUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Milk of magnesia

Hi ash33
Hi, I was 5 days out and still needing help. My dr told me to try the Milk of Magnesia and it worked great for me. I only had to take it once. (((Shera))) is right though, you should call and check with your own dr just to make sure what you do is best for you. It isn't unusual to need some help. Let us know what works for you.
's,Rita
Unread 06-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Milk of magnesia

I was 8 days post op when I decided I just couldn't wait any longer! But having never taken MOM before, I wasn't ready for what happened. I didn't know that it would make things so easy that I wouldn't have control over it!

I'd suggest calling your doc and see what they have to say. You don't want to take something too powerful for the frst time.
Unread 06-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Milk of magnesia

ash33,
My doc and discharge doc said Milk of Mag was the best choice- beware though, give it at least a day between doses, as too much and you will get loose. Not a big problem, just more trips when you do go. It happened to me, but I thought that was better than to strain after my LVH. Also, drink lots and lots of water to keep things going- consider a high fiber cereal also. let's get moving
Unread 06-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Milk of magnesia

Thanks everyone
This site is a invaluble source of understanding women that i will always be gratefull for.
Unread 06-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Milk of magnesia

because of previous surgeries, i knew what pain meds would do to me, so in the hospital i asked the doc for stool softeners and he ordered it. but day 3 he ordered milk of magnesia and when i went home he suggested i use it as needed. :-) just ask your doc, but i bet it's fine!!!

happy healing...and remember...this too shall pass! :-)
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Milk of magnesia

My dr told me to take MOM if I had not gone by day 5. I had surgery on Thursday, and had not gone by Tuesday. I took 1 TBSP on Tuesday, did not go, so Wednesday, my DH gave me 2 TBSP. It worked. You do need to talk to your dr or the nurse at his office because every dr has different ideas. Good luck.
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Milk of magnesia

I took the minimum dose, because I wasn't sure how my body would react...and that did the trick for me. Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register