Help..I want to just run away - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help..I want to just run away Help..I want to just run away

Unread 06-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Help..I want to just run away

The last few days before surgery are the most stressful. I remember them well and just wanted to have everything over with. Keep this in mind though - come Monday you will go to the hospital, you will go to sleep, your surgery will be a success, and then you will sleep some more. The first day is basically a blur and then after that, day by day, things get better. Good luck to all of you with surgeries on Monday!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2006, 11:57 PM

Add me to the Monday gals! I too feel EXACTLY the way you do. I dont have anything to help me with my moods though, I knew I shoulda asked but ....
I know we will all fell so much better this time next week or sooner! Goodluck sisters!
Unread 06-10-2006, 05:28 AM

Chrissie, Tina and Tlc...we are all on monday? Deep breath, for some reason that helps...we MUST stay in touch, we can compare notes!
EVERYONE that responded ((((((HUGS))))) and THANK YOU!

We own a nightclub, and I worked last night, (just got home) we have no closing law here so I'm always on t h epc at this early hour!
ANYWAY...work helped, but I will miss it while I'm recovering.

Chrissie, my dr. didn't tell me anything about a bowel prep either, of course I was hysterical so maybe she just thinks an enima would be better..YUCK.
I'm just assuming, but surely they have to be certain we are cleaned out huh?
All she said was "don't eat or drink after midnight"
I am scared of so many things as well...the pain, the possibility of infections, not waking up..THEN, what about the horid mood swings? WIll my personality change? I am so passive and easy going, will that change? Will I be hateful and mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2006, 05:47 AM

I can so relate !!! My TAH is scheduled for next Friday at 7:30 am. I'm
scared to death. I have known the date for 3 months and have
been doing everything I can in my garden and house the last couple
weeks. Now it is a day count down and not a week count down anymore. I feel overwhelmed and shaky and cant sleep. Been up since
3:30 am (again) More scared of the waking up and loss of control/pain then anything. Gppd luck and I'll be thinking of all of you!
Unread 06-10-2006, 07:12 AM

Hello every one!! I am set for Monday too!! There are quite a few of us going for Monday. I went for preop and that went smoothly. My grandson, 4 on June 8th, who lives with me, has his Tee ball end of season party today (Saturday) with a trophy and swim party at the coach's house. That will get me through today. Then Sunday I plan to go over the entire house and clean, clean, clean. Hopefully that will take care of that. Take care everyone. I am sooo trying not to stress out.
Unread 06-11-2006, 01:29 AM

Hi Dimples12,
What a cute name! I empathize with you totally. The best advice I can give you is take one minute at a time. Try not to think to far ahead. I know that is easier said than done and it will not be easy but try! The other thing I can tell you is utilize this website as often as you can and talk to us. As you can tell by all the responses that you got, we all care deeply. We have all gone through or are going through what you are going through. You can't say that of anyone else. No one else but us well be able to relate to what you are going through. I was on talking to my sisters almost all day for the last week or so. I will be thinking of you and there will be better days ahead
Take care and let us know how you are doing,
Debbie
Unread 06-11-2006, 03:58 AM

Hi Ladies,
I found an awesome book: The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy by Lauren Streicher, MD (she's an ob/gyn). I know I felt a lot better after I read it because it was factual, not scary.

Here are some statistics from the book that may help you:
The most common complication is infection: 9%
Less than 2% have bleeding problems after surgery
Bowel injuries are around 0.3%
Bladder injuries are around 0.5%
Dehiscence (incision coming apart) 0.4% in adbominal surgeries
DVT (deep vein thrombosis - blood clots) for low risk women (non smokers, no cancer, etc.) is below 1%
Death in women under the age of 40 is 0.05% and almost always due to pregnancy complications.
Death in women over 50 is 0.75% and almost always due to late statge cancer.
Guess we women between 40 & 50 don't have to worry at all

Hope this makes you feel a little better. I did me!
I will pray that you (and all my other hyster sisters) experience peace and calm from now until you leave the castle.
Unread 06-11-2006, 04:36 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I have suffered from anxiety and was in denial up until the very day of surgery thinking I would just cancel it or it just wasn't going to happen. Now that it's over, I'm so glad I did it! The what ifs are always going to bother you, but I just kept telling myself that my worrying wasn't going to change anything and in fact would just make it worse, plus I knew in my heart that I was absolutely doing the right thing. They will give you plenty of options for pain management, antibiotics to help prevent infection and there are lots of choices for HRT if that's what you choose afterwards. In the end I found that all the things I imagined were actually much worse than the reality. My 24th wedding anniversary happens to be Monday , so I will keep all you June 12th sisters in my thoughts and prayers. This will all be over with before you know it, and then you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Take care; we'll be here waiting for you on the other side of the moat with crown in hand!

Unread 06-11-2006, 07:25 AM

lovecarats--that is very reassuring info---bless y ou for sharing that!
Barbara...HAPPY ANNNIVERSARY!
Deidre
Unread 06-11-2006, 09:23 AM
hi Dimples 12

I have 3 weeks to go. Actually I have been very sidetracked by planning a sweet sixteen party for my younger daughter, dealing with work and personal issues, etc. Last night I was watching a dance recital and all of a sudden I was filled with panic. what ifs started flying all over the place!! I made sure I didn't leave the concert area because I am sure i would have broken down. I have already started cleaning my house. I am big on throwing things out anyway so this is the perfect time to clear the decks.

point I am trying to make here is, I am panicked too. I am a single mom and I have been putting off this surgery for a long time, since December 2003 to be exact. the only symptoms I have for the fibroids are extreme pressure and of course I look pregnant. I am just tired of looking like this and feeling like there is a boulder behind my belly button!! I am also going through some depression, either from the menopause itself or from the fact that my youngest is feeling her oats and doing lots of stupid and rebellious things (and that's another post entirely) Xanax was prescribed for me about a year ago. I keep the pills around just for security but believe it or not I have only taken one, and that was last Sunday. I had had a huge fight with my daughter and was beyond reason.

I think we will all be pretty crazy until this is over. personally I am glad i made the decision to do this, but making that choice for me hasn't beern easy. the best thing I have found for reassurance is Hystersisters!!

Anyway, I wish you well. I am keeping you in my prayers. You are not alone. Your post sounds just like me. As I get closer to the date I feel like I may explode. And all I do to counteract that is start cleaning the house!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register