Wow! All of a sudden I am a wreck! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wow!  All of a sudden I am a wreck! Wow! All of a sudden I am a wreck!

Unread 06-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Wow! All of a sudden I am a wreck!

My surgery is one week from today and up until I started reading some threads about people being nervous I have been totally fine. In fact I have been excited about getting rid of my pain.

Now I'm getting scared and nervous! I am 3 days into my period (my last ) so I'm hoping it is just hormones. But I am actually crying. I'm not totally sure if I'm scared or worried or nervous or what. I'm really starting to get concerned about recovery, I thought it would be as easy as my c-sections, but I've been hearing it's much worse. I bounced back really fast after my kids were born, everyone was amazed. Am I in for a shock?

I'm just really glad I have this site to help me get through all of this. Even though my DH is always there for me, he has no clue what I go through each month and what I will be going through next week. None of my friends have any problems like I do, so I kind of feel alone.

Thanks for being there for me, even we don't know each other
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2006, 10:30 PM

Hi Tink,
I am sure there are other women on this site who have gone through the SAH. Toward the end of my wait, I was a basket case, inclduing the crying. I had a TVH.

I do hear tell that c-section recovery and hysterectomy recovery are two totally different things. I guess there is an article on this site about that. You might want to look it up.

Just know that you are not alone. There are some really great hostesses and sisters here to help out.
Take care!
Barb
Unread 06-12-2006, 10:32 PM

Hi there!
Isn't this a great site? My surgery is the same day as yours. For the most part, I have been very practical and pretty happy about getting this over with. However, Saturday I had kind of a weepy day. I think the problems a lot of us have are the "unknowns". Like how long recovery will take, do we really need help 24/7, will our families be supportive, or run from the house screaming after three days, etc.

I have found three things that really helped me:
Reading the post-op stories on this site
Venting/talking it out with other pre-ops princesses and
The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy by Lauren
Streicher, MD. (Amazon carries it)

Hang in there. Try to keep busy (cleaning?) to keep your mind off of it.

I'll keep you in my prayers. Good luck to you!
Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2006, 10:36 PM

Thanks Sister to the north! I live south of you in Camarillo. I have been spending most of my time in the pre-op threads, I'll check out post-op also. Thanks so much!
Unread 06-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Keep the good thoughts!

I know it sounds trite, about the worst part is the waiting, but it is so true! I am now 3 days short of three weeks after surgery, and I am almost back to normal! I followed allof the advice... Walk, walk, walk, after surgery and yes I still get tired more than usual. I am really amazed at how I rebounded and I hope you will do the same. Ps. The morphine after surgery was really bad. If it makes you feel terrible go with your feelings, don't try to be a good girl and take the meds. All of my best wishes go with you, may your journey be as easy as mine was! Lots of Love, Cam
Unread 06-13-2006, 04:19 AM

I went in thinking it was going to be absolutely terrible. It wasn't, at all. The only complication I had was a small opening in the middle of my incision. It didn't hurt at all, because you are numb (I am 11 weeks tomorrow and am still numb). I just had to keep a close eye on it and keep getting it checked.
The only thing that got me down was the fatigue but as soon as I was switched from one HRT to another I started feeling great!
BUT remember, not to over do!!!! I have over done at 10 weeks and now the swelly belly is back and I am a bit sore. We are still healing and it is best to plan your house cleaning or yard work at a much later date! Or at least get lots of help when you do start feeling better. It is nice to stand and point!!
You will be fine! I went in thinking I wouldn't even be able to walk. I walked (and did other things I won't mention) the day I got home.
This is your "vacation" from being a wife/mother/caregiver. If you are anything like me you clean, feed, clean, cook, feed, clean, run all over town, etc. Take advantage of getting some help and being able to rest. Don't feel guilty! Rent movies!! My cable bill had $70 worth of movies on it in the couple weeks after surgery! What fun I had!! lol

You will be fine, don't stress. Take one day at a time.

BTW, your surgery date is my birthday!! I will make a special wish for all of those getting surgery that day!
Best wishes!
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:19 AM

Hi Tink!!
My surgery is the day after yours and I have started having those same feelings. I am so glad you posted!! I do agree it must be the fear of the unknown. And AF is supposed to arrive tomorrow so that might have something to do with it, too.

Beth
Unread 06-13-2006, 09:50 AM

You would be ABNORMAL if you were not getting nervous. After all it is still surgery and let's face it without having concrete answers the unknowns are the most unerving part. I am scheduled for TAH BO on 6/26 with a myriad of complications expected (endo, adeno and select node removal etc) and have been really keeping it together. If you don't think that I am prepared to know that I am going to start to lose my nerve in about a week your wrong. That is why I am going to be proactive and see my primary to get a mild anti-anxiety medication so that I am not level 10 prior to surgery upon the advice of the anethesiologist who spoke with me at length during my pre-op. Recovery is scary of course, but I think that the more positive you are the better the body accepts the surgical and healing process. I hope this little advice helps. Please speak to your doctors for their medical opinions, mine are based only on my experiences and medical history and in no way am I telling you to medicate, it is just what was recommended to me. Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 06-13-2006, 10:08 AM

Ok so all your posts made me feel so much better last night and now this morning I feel even better. Thanks you are the best!

Aunt Flo really puts me in the blues sometimes, I will not miss her! But since I am keeping an ovary, I'm worried that my PMS and duringMS will still be a problem. I'm hoping that it will be easier to deal with once I am not dealing with pain on top of being the "female mutt" from "Lava Town" .

Thanks for all the suport!
Unread 06-13-2006, 10:10 AM
hi

Yea mine is June 15 and i am getting a little nervous.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register