vaginal vs. abdominal hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal vs. abdominal hyst vaginal vs. abdominal hyst

Unread 06-15-2006, 05:00 PM
vaginal vs. abdominal hyst

Why are some hysterectomies done vaginally and others abdominally? I hope this isn't a stupid question! Also, my dr.said that he will remove my cervix but I haven't had any abnormal paps or anything. Is there a benefit to keeping the cervix if I can?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2006, 05:07 PM

I have not had my surgery yet, but I know that if they can do it vaginally they prefer it, shorter healing time and hospital stay. But from what I understand if they anticipate alot of scar tissue, possibility of cancer or a complicated surgery for any reason, they will do it abdominally. My doc told me he will try to do a LAVH (laproscopic vaginal hyst) but will not gaurantee anything, so won't know till I wake up!! As for the cervix, I think that is a personal choice unless you have had problems in the past, which you haven't, however some docs might prefer to remove it with the uterus?? You really should ask your doc about this if it concerns you. Some women may have a different response to sexual intercourse without a cervix. Hope this helps answer your questions. Good luck and take care.
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:18 PM

I didnt keep my cervix due to a history of abnormal pap results, however your doctor would be the best judge to whether you keep yours or not. I do know there has been recent studies that suggest there may not be any differences in sex either way. I have talked talked to woman that both kept it and didnt, and from what I can tell... it didnt make a difference with them sexually. However if this is a concern please discuss with your doctor.

There is something on this site that talks about that new study too.

Good luck, and you came to a good place!!

Lily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2006, 05:22 PM

First question...yes, abdominally is usually done if there are scar tissue issues (like with my 2 c sections), or the fibroid or tumor(if you have one) is too large to remove vaginally. There are many other reasons (if endo has affected other organs, if any reconstruction needs to be done, etc.). You should ask your doctor which will be best for you.

2nd question...this is the classic debate. If you go to the search button you can look for other threads where just this issue was discussed. There are, again, so many different ideas on this. For me, and I just discussed it with doc this morning at my pre op, I have no choice. I have a history of bad paps, cone biopsies and cryosurgery. He also said that in order to take care of as much of the endo as possible, it needed to go. I do feel tht the cervix issue is something that needs tobe discussed with your doctor and your significant other if you have one.
Many ladies have kept it and no probs, however, many others have taken it out and no probs. Thats the thing with these surgeries...they are all soooo individual.

IMHO .... this is something you should talk to doc about and do some research on. I think the more research you do, the less anxious you will be about it.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:23 PM

My doc initially said that since I've never had children he couldn't do it vaginally. (The idea of that freaked me out anyway, so I was glad.) I had adhesions & he suspected endo. With the abdominal he could get a better view of EVERYTHING in there that needed tending to. Even though it's a longer & more difficult recover, I was happy with this because I didn't want him to miss anything that might be out of the camera's view if he had gone in laparascopically.
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime
I didn't want him to miss anything that might be out of the camera's view if he had gone in laparascopically.

Amen, sister! My thoughts exactly!
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:35 PM

the cervix helps support the pelvic and I also was told it help prevent backaches, and help keeps the bladder from prolasping.
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:40 PM

I had my surgery laprascopic too, I was always told it is the least invasive and a quick recovery, and for me it have been a quick recovery and for all the patients that I see comes back for there 6 week visit. Most of them is back to work between 4-6 weeks. I week back to work on 6 week only because I would swell when I do to much.
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:40 PM

All of you are sooo right. Case by case basis. Me-no endo, no bad paps-ever. Just my sextuplets (6 fibroids-but managable in size-no baseballs in there). Had several scans (and the all time fav, intra-vaginal scan) and my problem was just my uterus (attached to nothing and no one). I had beautiful, perfect-never given me a moment's pain or worry ovaries, so my doc (brilliant woman who gets it and can relate!) and I voted for vag-hyst, took uterus and cervix but let the ovaries stay where they are. Super easy surgery, boring, uneventful recovery, no bleeding and due to other factors, I cannot have HRT, so the ovaries are pitching right in. Every woman is different and seems like each doc likes to do things differently as well. Just research like crazy, learn (as I did) from the incredible women here and talk candidly with your doc. Your decision will be easier to make! Blessings to you!!
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:48 PM

I had larascopic super-cervical hyst. with fibroids and uterus removed and i would not trade it for all of the others unless it was other problems involved. I notice sisters on here that went TVH is having urination problems and lots of pain after urination or not being able to have sex in their sex week so far as my experience and the patients that comes through my hosptial they all said larascopic super-cervical was the best, plus it is the least invasive. BUT MY SURE YOUR DOCTOR HAD PEFORM MAY OF THESE BEFORE!!! ALL DOCTORS ARE NOT TRAINED WITH THIS NEW PROCEDURE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register