vaginal vs. abdominal hyst - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal vs. abdominal hyst vaginal vs. abdominal hyst

Unread 06-15-2006, 06:28 PM
vaginal vs. abdominal hyst

I am thinking that they will end up doing it abdominally since I have had 4 (yes,count em ) 4,c-sections! I also had my gallbladder taken out 2 years ago, so there's no telling what's going on in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2006, 06:29 PM

Yea I Bet They Will Go In The Incisions That Are Already There.
Unread 06-15-2006, 06:41 PM

Hi MS FlowerLady,

You might check with your Dr. to see if you are a good candidate to keep your cervix. My Dr. told me in pre-op that he thought the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. I am 2 yrs. post op now and I can notice the difference in leaving my cervix.

You might check...the SAH (Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy) is an abdominal hyst and it leaves the cervix.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historylady
Hi MS FlowerLady,

You might check with your Dr. to see if you are a good candidate to keep your cervix. My Dr. told me in pre-op that he thought the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. I am 2 yrs. post op now and I can notice the difference in leaving my cervix.

You might check...the SAH (Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy) is an abdominal hyst and it leaves the cervix.

Best wishes,

Mary
How do you notice a difference in leaving your cervix? I have to lose mine and I am just curious.
Unread 06-15-2006, 06:56 PM

To: Emichal,

First, I notice the cervix support with my bladder. I had bladder incontinence in pre-op due to pressure on my fibroids. Ran to the restroom on the hour. Now, I can hold a full bladder and I can ~feel~ the added support to my bladder with my cervix.

Also, with sex. I can notice it makes a difference. A Hyster Sister one time said the cervix was like the ~door at the end of the hallway~. For me, it helps with that sensation. For some ladies, they do not notice the difference w/o the cervix.

Also, in pre-op, I read the cervix secretes a mucus that helps to lubricate the vagina. I have that mucus occassionally and I feel that I have vaginal lubrication because of it.

The cervix is kind of a pro-con subject. If your Dr. advises removing it, I would say go with it. To be a candidate to keep my cervix, I had to have normal pap smears for years and a sturdy cervix.

Recently, my younger sister got a 2nd opinion from my LSH Dr. Her 1st Dr recommended a hyst ( for fibroids) and taking her cervix due to prolapse. My Dr. agreed that it was best to remove her cervix. My sister had a TVH in April.

So...really, when it comes down to it, the cervix - like the ovaries - is a case by case decision.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 06-15-2006, 06:57 PM

I've had quite a few friends tell me I'm crazy for not at least asking my dr. to do it vaginally. Call it womens intuition(even before finding out all that I know now) but I just think in MY case it would be too risky. I've had 3 c/s, and my uterus is about the size of a 16week pg woman.I'd hate for the surgery to start out vaginally, then the dr. find out there were prob....s then have to open me up anyway.

I had one friend that had it done vaginally and a yr later she had to get a bladder sling for incontinence.
Unread 06-15-2006, 07:00 PM

thanks historylady! that helped... depressed me a little, but helped. J/K
Unread 06-15-2006, 07:03 PM

To: Emichal,

Hey...don't be depressed. The advantage of ~any~ type of hyst, whether the cervix is removed or not, is to have a ~quality of life~ back. So please think of that going into your hyst. The other side is a wonderful place for so many post-op Hyster Sisters!!

P.S. I was in Las Vegas last week with my DH. Visiting our two DDs. I love Vegas!!

Mary
Unread 06-15-2006, 07:13 PM

I didn't have a choice because my cysts were too large and could rupture vaginally. I know that those who have had a vaginal hysterectomy have seemed to heal much faster. I wish my abdominal muscles were not cut because it will always be different there. At least inside no one can see a scar or have the different sensation at the insision. Good Luck!
Unread 06-15-2006, 07:16 PM

[quote=historylady]P.S. I was in Las Vegas last week with my DH. Visiting our two DDs. I love Vegas!!/QUOTE]
and I looooove Lake Tahoe..wanna trade?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register