vaginal vs. abdominal hyst - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal vs. abdominal hyst vaginal vs. abdominal hyst

Unread 06-15-2006, 07:35 PM
vaginal vs. abdominal hyst

I guess I am still confused.. how can you tell your cervix is making a difference leaving it in vs taking it out, ifyou havent ever had it taken out in the first place to tell a difference of in vs. out?? I guess I am confused here. I guess I am thinking how would you know what its like not have something if its always been there in the first place??

Just confused.. thanks for helping...

Lily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilywhiteflower
I guess I am still confused.. how can you tell your cervix is making a difference leaving it in vs taking it out, ifyou havent ever had it taken out in the first place to tell a difference of in vs. out?? I guess I am confused here. I guess I am thinking how would you know what its like not have something if its always been there in the first place??

Just confused.. thanks for helping...

Lily
I was wondering the exact thing. How can you compare, when you haven't had the option to compare the two. I'm glad you (forgot the sn) had a good experience
Unread 06-15-2006, 07:55 PM

In keeping my cervix, I have seen many posts from ladies who had their cervix removed. I took note of what they were commenting on..and compared it to what I was going through.

In my personal experience on Hyster Sisters, I have rarely seen anyone comment about keeping their cervix and having sexual dysfuntion and /or bladder issues.

So...it is just my private observation. In the end, the cervix can be a very complicated topic.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2006, 08:04 PM

Hi MS flowerlady! I am a member of that 4 c-secs club too. And to vaginal births. My poor uterus had HAD it! So many adhesions and so much scar tissue - plus dr did some external scar repair while he was at it. Outside of losing 2 units of blood in surgery my SAH was very uneventful. And I have recovered wonderfully. But I am following drs orders - amazing how that helps!! I didnt keep my ovaries - #1 I am almost 47 and #2 they were covered with scar tissue. I am taking HRT (the estrogen made from soy and yams and it is working great for me.
I kept my cervix because it is healthy, and I felt I needed the depth in my vagina. Plus the support it provides. The lubrication it provides...just didnt want to give it up if I didnt have to.

Good luck and do talk to your dr about any concern. You cant shock them!
Unread 06-15-2006, 08:05 PM

wow that is scary... I guess since they removed mine, my chances of a sexual dystunction and bladder problems are improved greatly vs if I had fought to keep mine. I should of kept mine since its rare to have those problems with it vs. without it. I shouldve joined sooner and kept note of all the ladies that had theirs removed vs. keeping it.

thanks for your help.... I appreciate the explanation...

Best Wishes,
Lily
Unread 06-15-2006, 08:53 PM

I'm having it done abdominally because I've already had 4 abdominal surgeries (c-section, myomectomy, abdominal tumor, and hernia) so there is LOTS of scar tissue, also fibroid tumors, and possible endo. So it's the best way for my doc to not miss anything.
Unread 06-15-2006, 09:39 PM

Going in my doctor didn't know whether she'd be doing a TAH or a LAVH because she wasn't sure if she would have to do any staging. She started with the LAVH and sent specimens to the lab to be tested while I was in surgery. The results came back with the cells being in the last stage before cancer, but no actual cancer. She was able to complete the LAVH and didn't have to switch to a TAH. I was so happy when I woke up and found I didn not have a TAH. I was able to go home the day after surgery and other than a bladder infection four days after surgery, I've been doing great.
Unread 06-15-2006, 10:17 PM

thats awesome...did you keep your cervix?
Unread 06-15-2006, 10:27 PM

Yes I did keep my cervix for several reasons, for one it helps keeps the vagina/ or bladder from prolasping I can't remember which one it supports. two it helps support the pelvic and that way you won't suffer from lower back pain, and three a doctor don't suppose to take nothing that is not damage, and four I heard the sex is better.
Unread 06-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Same Day Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by emichal
Amen, sister! My thoughts exactly!
Looks like we will be going to our castles on the same day!

Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register