What to do with Aunt Flo's Stuff | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do with Aunt Flo's Stuff What to do with Aunt Flo's Stuff

Unread 06-16-2006, 01:28 AM
What to do with Aunt Flo's Stuff

OK, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it'll get moved if need be .

I see this topic come up once in awhile, but couldn't find an old thread (ok so I didn't look too hard) to put this in. I did give two unopened Costco double packs of pads to my DD since she's a teenager and will have plenty of time to use them. I even have a bunch "stashed" in my purse, jean jacket pocket, and car in case a friend I'm with needs one in an emergency. You should've seen the look on DH's face when he saw me putting several various sized pads in my purse. ("I thought you don't need those anymore." "I don't." "So...why are you..." "Just in case." "In case of WHAT?" "What if someone at work..." he walks away at this point shaking his head)

BUT...I still had a few more laying around that I know my DD would just lose if I gave them to her. Warmer weather is here and this house does not have AC. I'm kinda playing on the computer and watching TV and a pad commercial comes on bragging about their lock away core. They even have one of those demos where they pour water on two pads and then test for dryness on it. Suddenly it hits me! I look at my coasterless glass of iced Tang (yes, Tang). It's dripping puddles on my old desk, even warping it in spots. What better way to absorb that liquid dripping off my glass than to use a pad as a coaster?!? It's long enough I can even have two drinks, my juice of choice and my water! I have those kind that the wrapper is also the backing and there's wings. So I have to fold the wings back so it'll lay flat, but it works!

Now, at this point, I think I'm a genuis. I turn to my DH (his desk is right behind mind) and say, "Hey..."

That's as far as I got cuz he had watched the above series of events unfold and simply said, "I'm a guy, I don't use pads. For anything."

This is my long way of asking if there have been any other "inventive" ways of using up those old pads out there. I'm up to trying just about anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2006, 03:17 AM

Hilarious. My grandma, who has alzheimer's, stuck pantyliners to walls & mirrors. Not sure about what the purpose was in her head, but there had to be one. I use pads for my incision instead of bandages, but I know you probably have a healed incision by now.
Unread 06-16-2006, 04:40 AM

I like your thriftyness. Maybe another use would be to stick the pad to the sides of hot dishes or coffee cups so you don't burn your hands, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2006, 06:39 AM

hmmm....stick em on your feet and dust the floor?

or knee pads for the garden?
Unread 06-16-2006, 09:10 AM

Oh...knee pads I like! There's mostly carpet here so not much dusting opportunities...I guess I'll try the "reg" pads for that. I'm trying to think of a way to keep them around my dog's bowl cuz I swear she's gotta spill more water than she drinks. Keep 'em coming!
Unread 06-16-2006, 10:15 AM

My daughter has used them for nursing pads in a pinch. She cuts them in two and sticks them to her bra for the bottom leakage problem. The superabsorbency really helps! I personally gave most of my stuff away, though I did have to stop myself from doing my usual stocking up for the month. Too many years of being prepared.
Unread 06-16-2006, 10:30 AM

That is cute. I gave my left over pads to a friend of mine.
Unread 06-21-2006, 03:37 PM

Giving unopened packs to shelters is a great idea, especially the ones that support at risk youth.

As for those spare pre-wrapped ones you have laying around hiding places about your house (yes the ones we all hide for emergencies to feel safe), try adding them into first aid kits, camping kits, etc. When someone gets a major cut I've found that pads work better than any bandage I’ve had available. I once was in a minor car accident and simply pulled out a pad from the glove box to treat a cut on the way to the ER. It worked wonders.

As for tampons...those are great as a temporary plug for leaky hoses. I once wrapped a tampon around a pluming seal that I suspected was having a slow leak. It turned out I was right about the leak and the tampon was my proof to my husband that we needed to fix it!
Unread 06-25-2006, 07:54 AM

well if you are a crafty type person...

just don't tell anybody what the angels are made of LOL

http://web.dbtech.net/~suncastl/angel.htm

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register