Abnormal Cells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abnormal Cells Abnormal Cells

Unread 06-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Abnormal Cells

HI everyone, I'm new to this site and after reading some of your posts I dont feel so alone. I have been diagnosed with abnormal cells to my uterus. I have been menaposual for about 6 years, my dr suggests that I have a total hystercotomy while I'm still young (i'm 50) and not to take the chance of these cells progressing. After doing research and talking to others about these atypical cells I am scheduled to have surgery 6/29. Is there anyone who had a total hystercotomy becasue of atypical cells. I'm like a roller coaster, there are times I feel I'm maknig the right decision, but then I wonder am I really making the right decision. This has consumed my mind all the time I can't concentrate and I dont want to have to worry about these atypical cells turning to cancer at some point in time if I dont have the surgery. Should I not have the surgery I would have to have biopsies every six months.

Thanks for listening and best of luck to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Abnormal Cells

Welcome to HysterSisters deealv!!

I'd have to say, I'd go for the surgery rather than the risk of cancer later on. The healing process isn't an easy one, but it's not horrid. Granted there will be moments when you wonder just why on earth you put yourself through it, but those pass. You think about the bigger picture, and you make it through the recovery and gain your life back.
Unread 06-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Abnormal Cells

Hey Dee,

You've come to the right place, hon. You'll find wonderful support here to get you through this.

You need to consult with a gynecologic oncologist to decide what's the best course of action for you, if you haven't already. They're the experts in female cancers and will explain your options.

We so know what you're going through! Waiting is truly the worst part of this.

Hugs,
Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Abnormal Cells

Hi deealv

I'm sorry your are facing a possible hysterectomy. If you do a SEARCH here for " atypia " you should find some other threads where it's mentioned. I've seen several sisters come through the Options & Alternatives Forum who have decided a hyst was the best way to treat their hyperplasia with atypia. I've also seen some sisters who were more comfortable having theirs treated conservatively with routine monitoring (biopsy/ D&C) plus medication like Megace, or sometimes with the Mirena IUD etc. You need to do what you feel most comfortable with. Sometimes a second opinion really helps us find a comfortable place with our decisions. Recommendations &/or reassurance from a gyn/oncologist might be very helpful to you.

Sending gentle s your way,
Beth
Unread 06-22-2006, 04:11 AM
Abnormal Cells

keep in mind too that the extent of surgery will be less for atypia than for full blown cancer. You may only need a transverse incision (or none at all if done vaginally)instead of a very long vertical one, and that in itself may make your recovery quicker
Unread 06-22-2006, 04:11 AM
Abnormal Cells

Hi Dee,

I suspect your doctor is suggesting the conservative surgical route to deal with your atypical cells found on your biopsy for a couple of reasons. Unfortunately endometrial biopsies and other testing like CT scans, etc. cannot always provide an exact picture of what is going on internally. Like a few other Sisters here, my one and only endometrial biopsy revealed initially well differentiated grade 1 cancer cells, and my CT scan showed no uterine wall thickening. My final surgical path report came back Stage IA, but I was upgraded to more aggressive grade 2/3 cells. My cancer lesion was so tiny and superficial that my doctor till this day is still amazed that he did not miss scapping that spot during the biopsy, because had he missed it my path report would have likely came back normal. I am not trying to convince you to have surgery, but to make you aware of the limitations of testing which you need to discuss with your doctor so you can make a more informed decision regarding your treatment.
Unread 06-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Abnormal Cells

Hi
When I had uterine biopsy done in my Doctors office. the results came back as atypia with hyperplasia. Her recommendation was hysterectomy because my age was 50.
Just to be sure she scheduled a D&C where the diagnosis came back as cancer. Her office got me an appointment with gyno/onc.
I guess what I'm trying to say is biopsy tests are from selected areas and may miss the one spot that is cancer.
If there is even a chance of cancer it is worth a visit with gyno/onc to get their oponion.
JTL
Unread 06-22-2006, 06:23 AM
Abnormal Cells

Thank you all for your kind and supporting words. I have had a second opinion with a gyn/ocn and he recommended that at my age a total hystercotomy through the vagina would be the best route he also said that as far as the results from the D&C its just abnormal cells (atypical) and not cancer. The responses I have recevied from my sisters here at hystersisters are pretty much the same responses that my gyn/ocn has told me. Thank you again, for your responses which has made me feel not alone with my situation. My gyn/ocn also told me I should be back to normal in 2-3 wks... hmmmm what do you sisters think...

May good health follows us always..
Again, Thank you
Unread 06-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Abnormal Cells

We totally understand the rollercoaster you are refering to.

The only thing I could suggest is go with your gut. What feels the "rightest" path. Neither is pleasant to think of, I know. But something may be standing out deep within you that will help guide your decision.

It was that way for me and the radiation. I DID NOT want radiation treatments after my hysterectomy. But I was left with a choice. So I did my research and asked a heck of a lot of questions here. It was of great comfort to be among women that survived the battle (so to speak) becuase all the research pointed that radiation was in my best interest. And my inner woman confirmend that , even though I still fight against it mentally somewhat. That part is getting better too.

Hysterectomy is scary to think about, but honestly thousands and thousands of women have come through and doing great. I hope soem peace will come to you whichever way is best for you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register