Excess weight and estrogen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Excess weight and estrogen Excess weight and estrogen

Unread 05-08-2001, 04:30 PM
Excess weight and estrogen

I have a question for any sisters who may have been in my situation. I had a TAH/BSO in 11/00 for uterine cancer. I knew nothing about the causes for this beforehand but have since learned that it is extremely estrogen dependent. I was significantly overweight (have since dropped 40 lbs. and counting) and was told that the excess weight can produce too much estrogen to the body. I was also on HRT's (Premaphase and then PremPro) for about four years prior. I asked my doctor if the HRT's plus the estrogen from the excess weight could have caused the cancer and she said that the HRT's actually could have done just the opposite because of the progestrine in them.
This has been plaguing me ever since November. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have any information on excess weight combined with HRT's possibly causing uterine cancer?
Thanks so much for your input. Reading these boards is always a comfort.

JuliaH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2001, 01:35 PM

Hi Julia,

Well, I sure can understand your concern about the estrogen and the connection with the weight and uterine cancer. But, everything I have read or heard about so far, is that if you have your uterus, and take estrogen, then it is best to take the progesterone hormone also, to prevent uterine cancer.

About eight years ago, I had an emergency hysterectomy, and since then have taken .9mg of Premarin with only the estrogen since then, because I no longer have my uterus. I have gained weight since my hysterectomy, about 20 pounds, which is just almost impossible, it seems to lose. I do think the estrogen in some people causes weight gain. But, my friend who is very overweight said that her gyn. said that being overweight produces more estrogen in a woman's body, and therefore, as she is 52 and going through natural menopause, her doctor is not giving her any extra estrogen.

Have you been told that you are completely cancer free now? Do you still take hormones?

Hope you are doing well, and maybe some of the other sisters on this site can answer your questions from personal experience.

God bless!
Unread 05-09-2001, 08:02 PM

ElenaMarie. Thanks for your reply. I am more like your friend. I am 50 and had gone through natural menopause but took hormone replacement throughout. I am not taking any now. My doctor says that due to the kind of cancer it was she wants to wait at least four years if possible before considering it again. I am cancer free - thank God! I didn't need any further treatment beyond the hysterectomy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register