my doctor doesn't think it's cancer, but my castle is a cancer center | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my  doctor doesn't think it's cancer, but my castle is a cancer center my doctor doesn't think it's cancer, but my castle is a cancer center

Unread 05-08-2001, 07:04 PM
my doctor doesn't think it's cancer, but my castle is a cancer center

Hello Sisters
My computer and my brain are both fried. My doctor told me he was pretty sure that I didn't have any cancer, but I have had high grade dysplasia and carcinoma in situ for quite a while and with several treatments on my cervix, I have almost no cervix left at all. In fact when I went to him the first time, he thought that I was a punctured princess already. He wanted to do a biopsy, but couldn't. Then he sent me to Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY for a follow up. The doctor there agreed that a TAH/BSO was in order. I can't sleep, I'm on edge all the time and I only got my date last week, with surgery on May 16. Am I going crazy? I try to think positive and try not to dwell on the negative. I realize that this is what's best for my health in the long run, but I feel like the family pet...like I'm being snorfleed. Are any of these feelings like anything anyone went through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2001, 08:14 PM

Hi Marge,

It seems like we are living parallel lives. I responded to another of your posts.

I've had a 10 yr history of dysplasia. Many procedures. The cone took care of it for 10 yrs, but after a re-occurance in '99 and repeat paps, colposcopies, another cone, the dr suggested a hyst. My path report showed CIN3, which my dr still refers to as pre-cancerous.

I was fine with it all until I got the papers for my pre-op testing. First time I saw CIN or carcinoma....and
that looked too much like cancer to me. I was also all over the internet and got more and more confused. I put a question on this board about the terminology also.

My GYN is an oncologist. He was my guy way before I had my first bad pap because he was my Mo-in-law's dr and the only one I knew. I'm not sure if it's the fact that you're going to a cancer hospital or just everything in general that's bothering you, but dysplasia often does progress to invasive cancer and if they can't get a biopsy because of the condition of your cervix, it's not surprising to me that the next step would be a hyst. None of us know for sure what the final dx will be until the path report comes back after the surgery.

So.....if you and I have the same diagnosis and you're also going to have a hyst, then I would consider myself lucky to be done in a place that specializes in our kind of hyst.

You're not any "crazier" than the rest of us who get the same dx. and it's pretty hard not to dwell on the negative. I'm glad that he took it all and that I now have 3 less things to worry about....cervix, uterus, and ovaries. E-mail me if there's anything I might be able to help you with. I know how you feel.
Unread 05-08-2001, 08:41 PM

I know it hits everyone differently, but I feel great two years out. I don't feel like a pet that's been you know what at all. I am blessed that I can take low dose estrogen, and after some tinkering I'm in good balance. But I do feel great. There IS another side to the land of hyster, but it does take a while to cross over to it. I'm not trying to minimize the grief and confusion and anger and all the other things we go through, but you can work through it, honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2001, 09:43 PM

Dear Marge,

Hi, I looked at your profile and saw that you are 52? Hey, that is what my age is! My birthday is 1-21-49. I had my tah as emergency surgery on August 13, 1993. I have been on Premarin .9 mg each day for almost eight years now. Never had any menopausal symptoms either, which was great.

Well, I went quite a while without any pap smears done, because I don't even have a cervix left. Now, after having a pap test done a couple weeks ago, it came back as abnormal....yuck...squamous dysplasia. Have to have another one done in July. So, gee whiz....I thought I didn't have anything left to worry about...So, consider that you are fortunate enough to be getting taken care of properly, and hopefully all will go very well for you.

Gee, I have a sister going tomorrow for her checkup down in Baltimore City. She had ovarian cancer when she was nine years old, and was given one year to live. She will be 41 this May 24th!! She never has had a hysterectomy yet, either. Doctor recommends it, but she is afraid, I think.

Hope you do well next week, and let us all know how you are doing! Welcome to the site! Please feel free to email me if you would like. My address is [email protected]

God bless you!
Unread 05-09-2001, 04:06 AM

Hi Murf25, I understand how you feel, just the word cancer can put fear into you. I had an abnormal PAP in Dec., followed by colposcopy at my GYN's office. She didn't think it was cancer, but felt a LEEP procedure was necessary and she brought in another DR. to assist; I was shocked that the other Dr. was an ONC GYN. As it turned out, the biopsy from the LEEP procedure showed invasive cervical cancer, to everyone's surprise. My DH and I went to the ONC GYN's to discuss my alternatives, and just the sign outside his office stating "The Cancer Center" had my feeling like I wanted to scream!

I was offered choice of a radical TAH BSO -or- radiation/chemo Tx's. I chose the hyster without hesitation....I just wanted the cancer out! Pathology reports showed that all cancer was removed during surgery, but it was 9 days post-op before I got that wonderful news. Of course, I have to have frequent check-ups and so on, but I'm so thankful that I didn't let the word cancer on the signs, or the Dr's. specialty keep me from following through.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you're doing.
Unread 05-09-2001, 04:56 AM

Hi Marge, believe me cancer is enough to send anyone into deep shock. When I was told that I had CIN3 I just wanted it out. Unfortunately mine returned and has now progressed to cancer , BUT this is very rare. When I was first referred to my oncologist I just about died, what you are feeling is perfectly normal. Good luck with everything and come back here whenever you need us.
Unread 05-09-2001, 05:38 AM

When I first started my venture with the whole Cancer issue, I was in shock figuring that this happens to other people but not me. When it all finally sunk in, my main concern was getting it out of me ASAP! I went ahead and had the hyst and I am doing great. My diagnosis was carcinoma in situ and I was fortunate to not need additional treatments. I think that the main thing is to remember to take one day at a time. Don't ponder on what is ahead, but know that you are a strong woman and the strength will come from within. Best of luck to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register