Bone density scan/test? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bone density scan/test? Bone density scan/test?

Unread 06-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Bone density scan/test?

I was just wondering how long after hyst. surgery is a bone density exam ordered or recomended by doctors. Is it something we have to ask for, or is it done routinely as part of hyst. patient care?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Bone density scan/test?

Hi Mori DRs vary on this. Mine feels that everyone who's had a BSO should have one some time during the first few months post op, so that's when I had my first one. I get them every other year, because that's what my insurance will pay for. The test is easy and painless, takes only about 20 minutes - and you don't even have to undress and put on one of those lovely gowns. The only requirement is that you can't have any metal on your clothes, so I wear workout clothes when I have them.

If your DR hasn't suggested it yet, you could ask... I think it's a great idea.

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Bone density scan/test?

Thanks so much surferbabe!
I will mention it to my doctor at the next appointment. Should I be taking calcium in the meantime for preventitive measures? There are so many out there that I don't know which one is best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2006, 04:26 AM
Bone density scan/test?

Hi all! My doc thinks the necessity was dependent on age. I'm to take 1500 mg of calcium per day and then have the test in about 2 years. I was surprised with that. I also started the 1500 mg immediately and got constipated again! This was early on, so I stopped until I am regular and have started to add it back in.
Unread 06-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Bone density scan/test?

My dr's been no help as far as what I should take. There's one at a Women's clinic an hour away that does that stuff, but who knows when I'll be able to drive that far. If only they did appts by phone! From reading on here, HRTs help prevent osteo and so does black cohosh, whichever way you go.

The black cohosh needs to be made a certain way: aqueous ethanolic extract, whatever that is. Not like I can go to the store yet. I do remember reading something about a pharmacist having to mix something himself; I don't know if it was this or something else.

My neuropsychologist (well-qualified counselor) knows alot about nutrition and she said to take Vitamin D with Calcium to help with absorption. I don't remember how much she said, though (you can't tell I didn't follow her advice, can you?). She recommended this long before I knew I was having a hyst.

If insurance covers it, I'd sure be interested in a bone density test, one of them things of catching a problem before it gets out of hand. My gyn didn't mention this, but he seems to only do the surgery and then not care about what you need afterwards.

Evening Primrose Oil helps with lots of conditions, too, one of them being osteo. Both black cohosh and EPO are used by alot of the women in the No-HRT section.
Unread 06-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Bone density scan/test?

My Dr had me take one withing a month of my surgery, she needed a baseline to make srue i did not have anything going on forst that way she knew if ina year when i had one it was new and we would know how to go from there.. The test was the easiest test.. No pain no un dressing just lay there, kinda relaxing..
Unread 06-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Bone density scan/test?

My dr ordered a bone density test at my 6 week check up. I am not taking estrogen due to endo so he wanted to see how my bones are now and decide what I should take. My test came back normal so he recommended I take 600 mg calcium with vitamin D twice a day. (Important to divide the 1200 mg daily dose) He recommended Citracal or one of the generics of that. I am not having any side effect from it. I also take Remifemin (black cohash) for hot flashes. And I do weight-bearing exercise. I think it's very important we discuss bone health with our doctors and take measures to prevent osteoporosis. I have seen first-hand the pain caused by osteoporosis as my mother had a severe case and much pain before she passed away. So I suggest you ask your doctor to refer you for a bone density scan. It's easy and painless. Hopefully your insurance will cover most of the cost. It's the only way to know just where you stand with your bone health and what you need to do about it.
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Bone density scan/test?

Thanks for your replies ladies. I don't know if my gyno oncologist who is following me since my surgery for endometrial cancer is the one who is supposed to order these bone density tests, or if I have to ask my regular gyno... so I'm confused.
Unread 06-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Bone density scan/test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STELLA_01
Hi all! My doc thinks the necessity was dependent on age. I'm to take 1500 mg of calcium per day and then have the test in about 2 years. I was surprised with that. I also started the 1500 mg immediately and got constipated again! This was early on, so I stopped until I am regular and have started to add it back in.
(((Stella))) in women with working ovaries, who are destined to go through natural menopause, I'd agree that the need for a DEXA scan is age dependent (with the added consideration of any family history of osteoporosis). However, in women who've had their ovaries removed, or women who have otherwise entered early menopause, the greatest rate of bone loss is during the first year after surgery. Personally, I would want a baseline within a few months of surgery, to know what I needed to do to keep my bones from losing mass. If you wait two years, the horse is already out of the barn, so to speak.

We all need to take calcium and do weight-bearing exercise to help keep our bones healthy. Estrogen helps a lot with calcium absorption; if you are unable to take estrogen in any form, talk with your DR about other ways to make sure your bones can take up the calcium you're giving them. Taking calcium and magnesium in a 2:1 ratio (by weight) will prevent the constipation that taking calcium alone causes. I take 1500mg of calcium and 750mg of magnesium daily, and have no problems with constipation, but if I run out of magnesium, things 'stop up' right away.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 06-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Bone density scan/test?

Thank you Linda! I will definitely ask him at my next appointment! Thank you for the recommendation of magnesium too. I will try that. I have never taken vitamins so this is all new to me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register