To exercise or not to exercise, that is the question. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To exercise or not to exercise, that is the question. To exercise or not to exercise, that is the question.

Unread 07-10-2006, 05:17 PM
To exercise or not to exercise, that is the question.

I have put on about 14 pounds since my Hysterectomy because the lack of activity, boredom, and change of routine. I have walked, but never used a pedometer to gauge the distance. I was on my feet more during my recovery than I should have probably, but it wasn't enough to make a difference.

I started doing the Weight Watchers program from home again, and they encourage exercise. I am not going to meetings because I don't want to pay back for two years missed meetings. The only down side is that I can't ask a counselor what they think I should do under the circumstance. They'd probably just tell me to consult my physician anyway.

Back to my issue, I want to get my abdomen in better shape, but I am afraid it's going to hurt. Since my swelly belly gets worse from over exerting myself, I am afraid that sit-ups or crunches will defeat the purpose. What's the point of having wash-board abs, if you're too swollen to have it show.

Should I try concentrate on the rest of my body, and leave my abdomen for last? Can anyone chime in about taking the plunge on sit-ups or crunches? Any advice would help.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2006, 06:19 PM

I can't say because I honestly haven't done any sit ups or crunches. I do remember though someone on this site this week saying their dr recommended water aerobics. A friend of mine wrote to me today saying she wanted to try water aerobics -and it's funny how much I'm hearing about it all the sudden. I've gained about 10 lbs since surgery..hope to get it off in the fall when my teaching job resumes-I walk like crazy at work. Do you live somewhere where you can safely walk regularly? We have a treadmill--but I'll admit I rarely use it.
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:34 PM

Sue 73,
I had my surgery 1 day after you did, and i have had the same question, I tried doing some crunches.....to only have a very swollen belly the next day, so what i have now taken to doing is isometric exercises ex.... while laying on the floor just pulling my belly button down towards the floor, and also taking really deep breaths in and holding it whilst squeezing my tummy muscles , these two in themselfs 20 reps 3 times a day is helping. but of course talk to your doc first, and good luck with your abs and if you come up with anymore exercises that are easy and dont cause too much swelling please let me know. rachel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2006, 06:30 AM

For me, I do them regardless of the swelly belly. The way I look at it is: If I don’t do the the muscles will totally turn into jelly and it will be harder to get them back into shape. If I do them and I get swelly belly (and I do, but not bad) at least I am working at getting the muscles toned up, someday the swelly belly will be gone and when it is, I want my tummy muscles to be there. And, the more muscle you have in your body, the more fat you burn, also stomach muscles will also help keep you back strong.
Good luck, listen to your body and your Dr.
Unread 07-11-2006, 07:15 AM

Working on the ab muscles will help keep that area in shape, but they are difficult to do right now for me. I have been doing mini sit-up when I started - just lifting the even your head to start with and then maybe a little more of the shoulder coming off the floor. And I do bent knee leg lifts while I am lying down. You can feel it a little in the ad area.
When you gain weight that is to the whole body. When we are on mandatory rest after surgery, your metabolic rate (burning calories) will begin to drop, so if you are eating the same as pre surgery and the metabolic rate decreases, this results in added pounds. So the trick is to either eat less, or exercise regularily, or a combination of the above. I have been walking in attempts to keep my metabolic rate up. Easier said than done, I know!!!
I am experiencing the swelly belly, as well. When I am up too much, presto, it is like magic. So, I find that I need to find balance - some work and exercise, mixed in with lying down to rest. I am sure that one day - the swelly belly will be history for me.
Unread 07-11-2006, 02:52 PM

My doc advised me at my 6 week I could join a gym that day if I wanted to, but don't expect to do 50 sit-ups.

I am slowly trying to do the ab exercises suggested here in bed each night, even though the Swelly Belly gets in the way!

My gyn said the Swelly Belly would go away in about 3 months with some light ab exercises.
Unread 07-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Yoga and Physical Therapy

Dear frustrated HysterSister,
I do yoga -- following some DVD's at home, in the privacy of my basement, with titles like "Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss" , "A.M and P.M Yoga for beginners", and "Balance Ball for Beginners" and these have really helped. I skip parts I can't do yet. Also, my primary care Internist (not the gynecologic oncologist/surgeon, who laughed at my request) wrote a referral to a woman Physical Therapist who specializes in Pelvic Muscles, and after two sessions with her, I have a small set of exercises to do to improve abdominal wall and pelvic muscles. I'll let you know in a year how successful it is ... I'm just 4 wks post TAH/BSO.
Unread 07-11-2006, 04:22 PM

You may wish to talk to your dr about what is best for you, to help with toning and weight loss, without over stressing your newly and still healing areas. We also have a Hysteritaville -- Wellness Post Hysterectomy Forum you might want to check out. Do keep in mind that you are still a new so you need to gradually work into a fitness program with your dr's approval.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register