Removing Cervix/Outpatient surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Removing Cervix/Outpatient surgery? Removing Cervix/Outpatient surgery?

Unread 07-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Removing Cervix/Outpatient surgery?

Hi Sisters, I had my uterus out 5/2005 kept ovaries and cervix. Well, the cervix now has to come out and I am scheduled for surgery 7/31..
I just called and it's planned as Outpatient at 3:40pm.
Has anyone else gone thru this? Is it really an outpatient procedure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2006, 09:40 AM

My hyst was listed as outpatient, even though it was to be abdominal. I think this was due to the fact that there was a possibility that, after taking a look, my gyn might have been able to just to an ablation rather than the full hyst.

She must have had me admitted on the spot once it was clear I was having the TAH rather than just an ablation.

I have read somewhere that removing the cervix as a separate procedure after hysterectomy is actually a more complex surgery than total hyst. So, it does seem unlikely that you won't be admitted. So, it seems like a fine time to call your doc and check.

Best wishes.
Unread 07-13-2006, 01:03 PM

I asked my Dr. about it because we were deciding what to do about my cervix. I kept it when he said it could be removed vaginally after if there would be any problems later on. He made the procedure sound much less worrisome than the abdominal Hyst. I was preparing for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2006, 05:42 PM

I had my cervix taken out seperate from my hyst. I was also scheduled as an outpatient (mine was taken out through the laparoscope). I was supposed to go home that evening, but once they got in there it ended up being a lot more involved than anticipated. My bladder tore while trying to get the cervix out and so I had to stay in the hospital for a few days. I know several people who have had it done and gone home the same day.
I'm sure if you are not doing well the Dr will keep you overnight. Don't push yourself. If you think you need to stay overnight, let them know that!

I hope everything goes smoothly for you!
Becky
Unread 07-13-2006, 06:41 PM

Shera,
I would be sure and ask the doctor if there is a possibility that the situation could change. I don't have experience with this particular surgery, but have had many other surgeries and have learned that one should talk with the doctor about the what ifs. I do think these days alot of surgeries are automatically scheduled as outpatient surgeries.

Unread 07-13-2006, 07:42 PM

When I had my LAVH (uterus and cervix removed) my surgery was listed as outpatient surgery. Because I went home within 24 hours of my operation it was considered outpatient all though I had overnight observation.
Unread 07-13-2006, 08:59 PM

Sisters thank you so much for your replies. And they said to pack on overnight just in case. I am listed as outpatient going home in 23 hours. But since surgery is scheduled at 3:40pm, I'll bet I stay over.
I am also having servere "episodes" right now of nausea and weakness. I am fine for most of the day or night. but then each day around 3pm I feel just horrible. I'm guessing I'm not feel too good after my surgery and might need to stay. I will heed your great advice and stay over if I still feel weak, especially since I live kinda far from the hospital.
Oh almost forgot, I will see the dr the Friday before my Monday surgery and will get the chance to ask him.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register