Anyone else have swelly belly above the belly button? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else have swelly belly above the belly button? Anyone else have swelly belly above the belly button?

Unread 07-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Anyone else have swelly belly above the belly button?

My swelly belly covers my whole area from below my bra to my bikini line.

I notice that sometimes the area from my bra to my belly button is swollen even more then my abdomen area. It gets super hard too.

I told my Doc.. She thinks it might be intestines. I sure hope it doesn't stay that way.. It looks and feels awful.

Anyone else have this? I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2006, 11:45 AM

when i have over did things my belly above and below the belly button have gotten swelly belly

it makes me look like im in the 2 or 3rd trimester of preg.

dunno why it happens.
Unread 07-15-2006, 12:14 PM

My doctor told me the same thing. I have Celiac disease too so that makes my bowels mad anyway. lol Yes, overdoing it makes it worse and some foods do too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2006, 12:22 PM

I have the same thing - below breasts to the incision line. Lots of strangers, when they see how uncomfortable I look, have said things like, "Don't worry sweetie! You'll have that baby any day now and then you'll feel a lot better!" I asked my doc on Thurs. why sometimes it gets hard and bigger, especially at night. He assured me that he thinks it's gas. That was a relief (although not fun) because I was afraid it was fluid build-up or something more scary.

I hope your belly shrinks like 100% cotton in a hot dryer!

Hugs,
Julia
Unread 07-15-2006, 12:28 PM

I still have the same problem, the swelling under the bra line got really bad 2 wks agp. I went to see Dr she sent me for an x-ray and they concluded that my colon was FULL. Other than the swelling though I did not feel constipated. I am still having just small BMs so I think all is still not well. I am on Zelnorm but it does not help . I will go back to Dr next week and see where we go from here. I did not have this problem pre op. 2up2down TAH BSO 48yo
Unread 07-15-2006, 12:35 PM

Hi LuvMaui -
I had that swelling up high like that when my gallbladder needed to be removed. I would talk to your dr about it.
HUGS
Unread 07-15-2006, 12:58 PM

Hi Luv Maui - I'm 3 days behind you and I have the same thing. My doctor (yesterday) didn't say anything other than it would go down eventually. I'm not having bowel problems, so I don't know. I've lost 9 lbs since surgery because I have no appetite - which is GOOD since I was overweight going into surgery, but I still can't fit into my old jeans and shorts - too tight!
Unread 07-15-2006, 01:23 PM

It's the gas. Gas-ex makes strips that disolve in your mouth that are fast acting (I used these in the castle). At home, I use peppermint gels from the co-op that have ginger and fennel oil with an enteric coating. I also use ginger digestive aid tea. Most mainstream grocery stores carry products like this now.

BTW, watch what food you eat to see if the swelling changes. Then make a list of your triggers to avoid during recovery. I ballooned up last night after having grapes. This also happened on the fourth of July with grapes and cherries...sigh. I think I'll be avoiding them for the season.

-ebeb
Unread 07-15-2006, 02:32 PM

We ordered Chinese take out on friday and had enough left over for last night too. Today I'm in feeling it. I told them no MSG but who knows right? I can't imagine what else it could be. I'm extra bloated and sore. Feels like the incision, that's just a thin red line now, is pulling from side to side. I'm guessing that's the swelling doing that? Also think my overies are on fire. I'm drinking lots of water hoping that will put the fire out. sheesh.
Unread 07-15-2006, 02:57 PM

yes my belly is swollen from under my breast to under my belly button but more on top...my dr said it's my insides pusing against my tummy and since my tummy muscles were cut they are not strong nuff to push back so it causes me too look swollen and prego..not sure about the explanation but it does seems worse at nite...also i ahve been wearing tummy binder which at least gives me some support but after an hour or two bothers the crap out of me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register