Anybody have a Endometrial Ablation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody have a Endometrial Ablation? Anybody have a Endometrial Ablation?

Unread 07-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Anybody have a Endometrial Ablation?

Hi Ladies,
I am new to this forum and just a brief history about myself. I am 47 and have had endometriosis for the last 20 years. I was able to have 3 children during that time and pretty much kept the endo under control using BC pills. Over the last year or so though my periods have become unbearably heavy and very long lasting. My Dr. did all the tests and there is no cancer or anything else life threatening that she can see. She is suggesting a total hysterectomy or this Novasure procedure which is when they cauterize the lining of your uterus and then remove the lining. This is supposed to either take away your periods completely or at least take them down to where they are more managable. I really am trying to avoid the Hyst. because I don't really have alot of pain from the endo, it is more just the heavy periods. Anyway have any of you had this type of procedure done and if so was it succesful? Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2006, 08:46 AM

Hi bixa525
I had the heavy bleeding too and tried everything possible to avoid having a hysterectomy, including the Novasure ablation. My dr told me it is 90% efffective and I felt it was worth a try to see if it would end the bleeding. It slowed it down for me some, but didn't prove to be the answer I needed.
I wish I understood better why this procedure works for some women than for others. I know that drs seem to do the type of procedure they are familiar with and have the equipment to perform so this may be why your dr has recommended this type of ablation. I was just wondering if you know that there are others out there? I have always wondered if we had tried a different type if it might have worked for me. That is water under the bridge now, but I do recommend, since you are researching all this, that you look into the other types of ablation too and ask your dr about them and how they compare.
I know there are other women who have had them that you will hopefully hear from here but please keep in mind where you are.
Since this is a hyst website most of the women here have had to resort to having a hyst or are considering it because of ongoing problems, so finding success stories here is a little hard.
When I was looking into my options I first found a wonderful ablation discussion group that helped me a lot. I think you might enjoy going and looking and doing some reading of their materials. Their site is sooo peaceful and pretty too, its worth taking a look.
Endometrial Ablation Discussion Group
I hope you can find the information you need to make a good decision for yourself. I know how hard it is to endure the heavy bleeding. I hope you are taking steps to avoid anemia while you make your decisions. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
's, Rita
Unread 07-17-2006, 07:07 PM

Rita, Do you mind if I ask you how old you are? How did you deal with the hormonal issues after your Hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2006, 07:32 PM

Hello bixa525: I had and Endometrial Ablation. The surgery was unsuccessful. I started bleeding heavy and did not stop! Though, my GYN warned me my uterus is so large that the ablation may not work. Oh well.. I tried.
Unread 07-17-2006, 07:40 PM

hi,
I had thermal ablation on May 22-2006, went on holidays one week after, and started bleeding heavily one day less of the four week post-ablation. I got a call from the hospital on a cancellation hysterectomy opening on June 19-2006, went in for TAH on June 20-2006, although still recovering, I'm glad to be rid of all the bleeding which was interfering with the quality of my life. Good luck with your decision- I wish I had not gone through the ablation- it wasn't any fun to go under anaesthetic twice!!!
Unread 07-17-2006, 07:42 PM

I had ablation/tubal in Dec 2004 for 2yrs of continous heavy bleeding. I tried every B/C pill, patch, shot known to man. ALL OF IT FAILED MISERABLY, unfortunately.
So, after 18 more months of non-stop bleeding, I had LAVH/BSO last month. I had also developed alot of adhesions and severe scar tissue from the ablation/tubal.
My good friend had ablation in February of this year and her's worked wonderfully. She has had no periods and no pain since her surgery.
Everyone is different. (BTW-we had the same DR)
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Jeniffer
Unread 07-17-2006, 08:12 PM

Hi bixa
I don't mind at all. I turned 53 yesterday. I was 51 when I had my hyst. My bleeding was caused because I was estrogen dominant. There was nothing wrong with my ovaries so I elected to keep them. My gynecologist wanted to just take them because of my age, but I came here and asked and found there really is no good reason to loose your ovaries if you don't have a history of cancer and aren't having problems with them.
This made managing the hormones much easier. Because I am approaching menopause anyway I have had some hormonal issues and elected to take the bioidetical hormones almost immediately after my surgery. I started at my six week check up I think. I found i had horrible brain fog and mild hot flashes. I couldn't make decisions or remember things. It was bad. I take both estrogen and progesterone and feel great.
Depending on what you are dealing with, if you end up needing a hyst you might not have to loose your ovaries too. It's a good thing to be aware of. I hope some of this helps.
's, Rita
Unread 07-17-2006, 10:55 PM

Hi Bixa. I had an endo ablation in May of last year. It was successful to the point that my periods became very light. I went from using 1 1/2 boxes of superplus tampons in 5 days, to only pantyliners and maybe 1 or 2 reg tamps. That part of it was great, but I still had SEVERE PMS(cramps, tenderness, irritability,etc.),every day of the month. That's why I decided to have a TAH. Yes,Iwas scared, but I believe once I am healed, it will be the best decision I ever made concerning my health and wellbeing. Good luck to you, research everything before making decision.
Unread 07-18-2006, 08:32 PM

Thank you ladies for all if your responses. The issues I am having are that if I choose to get a hysterectomy I would have to have both of my ovaries taken out too because I have endometriosis and the endo feeds off of the estrogen that comes from the ovaries. I worry about all the horror stories also that you hear about after having a hysterectomy and it destroying your sex life and women report they have permanet nerve damage and bladder problems. Then you have the hormone issues to deal with and I can't nor would I take the HRT because of cancer in my family. For those that are using the bio-dentical hormones how do you find a Dr. that will presrcibe the Bio-dentical hormones? Also for the girl that posted the EA worked for her girlfriend can you tell me if she had Endometriosis and was her bleeding really severe? This gives me some hope but from the sounds of most of your posts it sounds like the EA didn't work for most of you. I just don't know which way to go because I hate the thought of two operations but then if the EA would work that could be my answer. I just don't know, it's all so confusing.
Unread 07-18-2006, 09:11 PM

I had the NovaSure last January.....not for heavy bleeding; but for having a period nearly every 2 weeks. Seemed like I had one big period! Then, following the ablation, I had FOUR months of non-stop discharge.....every color and consistency imaginable. I also had 3 children and decided that enough was enough. My quality of life was no better following the ablation; so my gyn agreed to do the hysterectomy. Taking the ovaries was a difficult decision, as I was only 42 at the time. However, the thought of still "cycling" every 2 weeks and going through PMS was dreadful. I don't regret the hysterectomy for one moment, though it has indeed been a difficult year trying to find hormonal bliss!
Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register