Any experiences after supra-cervical Hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any experiences after supra-cervical Hyst? Any experiences after supra-cervical Hyst?

Unread 07-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Any experiences after supra-cervical Hyst?

I am trying to make a decision between supra-cervical hysterectomy (keep cervix and ovaries) and fibroid embolization. I would choose the hysterectomy except I am so worried about all the horrible experiences I read about destruction of sexual response. Anyone have a good experience with this surgery and still able to have a V/O? it seems like everything I read is bad. I am very discouraged right now, with a large uterus, terrible pressure and discomfort every day, bleeding, horrendously painful periods, you know the routine, and getting more and more scared of the hysterectomy option. But as this gets worse, sex wont' be an option anyway, so what do I do? I understand embolization will resolve the bleeding, but might not improve the pain, and will only shrink the fibroids 40-50%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2006, 10:10 PM

I think the vast vast majority of people on here indicate they return to a sex life that is as good or better(pain gone, not bleeding weeks of the the month, etc) after their surgery. Some say its 'different' but even then, I don't really think its a complaint.

For myself I looked at the embolization but decided the success rate wasn't high enough for me to me willing to be 'right back where I am' in the near future. Plus my Dr said she felt this was too new, especially if I knew I didn't want kids, to know the longer term affects. Her real options were Myomectomy t remove the fibroids or LSH for just the uterus to me removed.

There are days I still am upset about what has happened and the choices I feel I have to make but, keeping in mind this is major surgery, I know I will be pain free in the future. That is what it has come down to for me, quality of life.

I'm scheduled for a LSH on the 1st of Sept, nervous but ready. One thing that really helped me in my gyn is also a surgeon so I have great confidence in her.

Julie
Unread 07-18-2006, 03:28 AM

Good morning! I am having an LSH this morning 7/18. Leaving for the hospital in about an hour...only got about 4 hours sleep last night. My dr. called me about 6:30 last night to say she'd see me in the morning and to guarantee that I would be getting some "wonderful sleep" in the next 24 hours. LOL I have elected to keep my cervix after an HPV test and keep my ovaries too. I have adenomyosis, small fibroids, a 13 week mushy uterus, and periods 2 to 3 times a month (anemia). All this comes with pressure and bloating and a general miserable feeling about three weeks out of the month. I can't wait for this surgery and feel very relieved to be having it. I'll post after I return home. good luck with your decision! P.S. A coworker of mine used the same doctor and had an LSH too. She told me that her sex life is better than before! So, something to look forward to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2006, 04:59 AM

I had an LSH in Jan. and am VERY happy I had it done.........Sex is fine;it is different than before ,but not in a bad way at all.......I wouldn`t trade the way I feel now for the way I did feel having those horrendous periods (with all that pain and pressure ) for the world...........I wish you well as you make your choice on whether or not ot have it done......feel free to PM me if you want to chat !!! Blessings,Renee
Unread 07-18-2006, 05:50 AM

My supra-cervical hyster (keep ovaries too) is July 31st. I'm very nervous but I know in my heart this is the best choice for me. It's a quality of life issue.
I have been suffering for over five years and researched all the options. . . tried all the alternatives. I thought I could beat these fibroids. Embolization was not for me. The success rate was the clincher.
I have multiple very large fibroids, heavy periods (lasting weeks), uterus 20 wk size, bowel and bladder pressure, and lots of pain. I can't keep staying home suffering. Had to quit my job. My family needs a healthy mother. DH, twins 23yo, and 15 yo. I want to get on with my life.
From what I'm reading (on this website), fibroids seem to worsen as you get closer to menopause. I'm not there yet so I feel my symptoms will only worsen. I worry about the sex issues too (hence the supra- cerv). It has delayed me this far. My DH wants me have the surgery anyway because he doesn't want to watch me suffer anymore. Sex is rough now anyway because of the pain and bleeding, so it has to improve. . .right?
Major surgery is very scary. Huge decision. Educate yourself, ask questions and it will feel right when you make your decision. I tortured myself worrying but now I'm sure that my decision is the best one for me. I always felt if I have to have a hyster I'm fixing my stretched out ugly belly (twins C/Sec) as a present to myself. Wish me luck.

Best of luck. You will be fine.

You'll be in my prayers.
Unread 07-18-2006, 08:13 AM

I had LSH ago and do not regret my decision for a single moment. It is probably one of the best things I have done for me in a very long time. I had adenomyosis, tried a HTA last august and it failed in 3 months. Waited for 6 months before I couldn't take the pain and bleeding any more because I was afraid I would have a complication or some major issues afterward. Well, I am pleased to say that neither of those things happened. I was prepared for the possibility that my ovaries wouldn't work. I lost the right due to a dermoid, and my very small left ovary is not working. So I have been dealing with the hot flashes, headaches and insomnia. But I must say that over the last 10 days things have DRAMATICALLy improved in that department.
As far as sex goes, I am not having any problems. I did have some vaginal dryness, but KY helped with that as long as a good sense of humor. Things did feel a little different in the beginning, but I could still have the big "O". I would have to say that things feel about the same as they used to. I think a lot of it was just that my body was still healing (I was released for sex at the 2 week mark as long as there was no pain). Also I think I had some "performance anxiety"!!
Good luck to you as figure out what is best for your situation. For me I found the procedure/recovery way easier than I thought it would be. The waiting, wondering, and worry before hand is really the worst part of the whole process. I have realized that I didn't realize just how much pain I was really in before hand. I hardly know what to do with myself, I'm not spending hours curled up on the sofa in pain....oh yeah I'm enjoying life again, that's what I'm doing!!!
Keep us posted and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I'm always happy to share my experiences with my sisters.
Unread 07-18-2006, 01:36 PM

I had a successful LSH on May 9th due to frequent heavy bleeding and clotting, and a uterus the size of a 13 week pregnancy.
My doctor gave me 3 options: a myomectomy, embolization and an LSH. He felt that my fibroids would likely grow back within 6 months with the first 2 options, and I felt that since they were all surgical procedures requiring anesthesia, I'd opt for the one that was guaranteed. My surgery was scheduled within 2 weeks, so I didn't have much time to drive myself crazy with worry. I kept both of my ovaries as well as my cervix. My doctors feeling is that 'if it's not broken, don't fix it' - he also felt that I may get a few more years of mileage out of the twins....since I would rather not go into surgical menopause, or take hormones before I need to, I chose to keep them. I may or may not have a problem with them later down the road.
I had my surgery as an outpatient at 7:30am, and was home before 7pm. The hardest part for me was the nausea from the anesthesia - there was really very little pain.
I did have some very minor complications. I developed a large hematoma at one of my incision sites which required a wick type drain, and I ended up with a vaginal bacterial infection about 4 weeks post-op. Both issues were a nuisance, but nothing I couldn't deal with. It took about 10 days before I was functioning normally due to the hematoma - but most people are back on their feet well before then.
I wasn't cleared for intercourse for 6 weeks because of the bacterial infection. My poor dh had been so patient and understanding - but once I got the green light, he thought we should be making up for lost time!!! The first several times were slightly uncomfortable - not painful....just different....I was worried that it was going to stay that way. I'm sure that anxiety played a part as well. I am happy to report that things are good once again.
It's easy to get caught up in the horror stories that are floating around on the internet - but I think you'll find that most of us that have first hand experience with an LSH will tell you that they're happy with the end result. It did take me about 5-6 weeks before I could honestly say that.....I'm just happy that I was a candidate for this less invasive surgery, and had a surgeon that I had complete trust and confidence in.
You can do a search and go back to the archives and read many success stories on this site by typing in LSH. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be the right decision.
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or concerns.
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:07 PM

Hey ladies! I just had my LSH today (7/18) and have been home about 5 hours now. I had to be at the castle at 7:15 this morning for a 9:00 surgery time. My dr. told me that it was a 1 1/2 - 2 hour procedure. It lasted a little over 2 hours. The downside of this experience of "hurry up and wait" was that the lady before me (she got 1st surgery and I was 2nd) was that hers lasted for 4 HOURS!!! I didn't even get into surgery until 11:30. But that was alright, I wouldn't want the dr. to hurry up with me. Apparently she had lots of scar tissue. Everyone at the hospital was WONDERFUL and my hubby was/is the BEST! I had my uterus (from adenomyosis), sm. fibroids, and a chocolate cyst removed off my right ovary. I kept my cervix as well. I have been suffering for about 5-6 years now with this pain. I thought my left ovary had a cyst and that maybe I had cancer too because it hurt so much all the time on my left side. Apparently, the ovary was fine and no cancer, but there was a ton of endometriosis behind the ovary that was causing my pain. I'm glad that I was able to keep them both. The dr. said that I was almost like a textbook operation. After I was able to pee in the hospital, they starting processing me for release and I was home by 3:45 pm SAME DAY! I hope this makes sense because I am still doped up and groggy from the anesthesia. Hold on, it's 9:00 pm now and my dr. is calling. I'm back, needed to talk to her. She called earlier about 2 hours ago and spoke to my husband but I was asleep. In my opinion and for what I had, LSH was the only option and way to go!!!
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:23 PM

Hi waverlyrose

You can find more info re fibroids and embolization in this section of our Resources Directory: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:31 PM

You Are Amazing-same Day Surgery And Online As Well!!! Who Are You? Wonder Woman?????

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register