OMG severe gas (belching)ouch ouch ouch. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OMG severe gas (belching)ouch ouch ouch. OMG severe gas (belching)ouch ouch ouch.

Unread 07-23-2006, 09:30 PM
OMG severe gas (belching)ouch ouch ouch.

Ever since my hyst I get the nastiest most painful gassy belly you can imagine. It feels like a balloon expanding in there. I have tried everything I can think of. Gas-X, Diovol, Pepto, Tea and even acid controlers (i don't know why!). nuffin seems to work. I get gassy from everything including water lol, gawd this *****.. any ideas on non fattening ways to kick this monster out the door?????? PLEASE ty reba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2006, 11:14 PM

Hi, yes, me too.
It's terrible and the temptation to try and hold it in in company when I'm doubled up and want to explode is the worst.
I've tried loads of things but find that eating smaller meals,taking a mild laxative and mint tea helps, keeps things rolling, so to speak
Dunno if this helps but I do sympathise. it's hell and I hope it gets better for us.
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:04 AM

Ah yes...

I find that when I am able to "move" things - I have less gas then when I am unable to "move" things. What has helped me:

Walking, taking my doctor's recommended vegtable laxative (Senokot), and diet Vernor's ginger ale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2006, 03:29 AM

Rebaroz:

Thought I would die with gas pains & nothing did much good.

I agree the small meals made a difference; sipping hot water & peppermint tea; I still take a stool softner ( at 9.5 weeks). At 6 weeks my surgeon put me back on a digestive soft diet. Both she and my homeopathic practitioner said avoid beef; spicy foods; and veggies like brocolli; cauliflower & beans- likely until 12 weeks. My homeopath has recommended larch powder before every meal as it helps heal the gut. I think this has helped as has eating yogurt to try and restore the good flora.

I remember not wanting to sip water because I could feel each sip exploding in my stomach and that even having a BM did not make the gas go away.

They say to walk but that is hard to do when you double with pain after 3 steps or are so tired from not sleeping with "exploding belly" noises all night. However it does help to do what ever you can- I even just paced in the house- due to all the rain for the first few weeks of healing ( and- the heavvy rains are now back!).

I hope maybe some of this will help- I also did the GasEx; Phayzeme, Tums thing- not much relief there. I couldn't eat with all that gas & lost nearly 20 lb- think I have gained 3 back.

Take care- even though it doesn't feel like it now, there is life after gas- though I still fear it's return on a daily basis!

Gail
Unread 07-24-2006, 03:06 PM

Thanks. I'm not constipated or anything and I have resumed all activities. I don't have any belly pain. My only complaint is this blasted gas. I'm still taking a stool softener once a week as well. I don't eat very much beef, no spicy food, no raw gassy veggies, and I eat 5 to 6 small meals a day. So I am so lost!!!!
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:31 PM

Yes, I have an idea. You need to see a gastro. I had the same problems as you are experiencing. I saw a gastro. I was diagnosed with acid reflux. He thinks the surgery pushed up and stirred the reflux up.

Anyway, he put me on Nexium 2 x a day and changed my diet. Small meals, high protein / low fat. It's doing the trick. I see him again on 8/16. He also had me elevate the head of my bed, not the pillow, but the head of he bed about 4-6".

Anyway, I got relief in 3 days from the gastro.
Unread 07-25-2006, 04:02 AM

were you thinking that I have Heartburn? cause it's not, just gas!!!!
Unread 07-25-2006, 04:28 AM

I'm sorry, you are right.

I didn't have heartburn either. Just acid reflux stirred up from my surgery.

Guess it's a good thing you don't have it either. It's not any fun.
Unread 07-25-2006, 01:41 PM

I get a little acid reflux but it's controllable and better since the hyster. I had the test where they make you drink the chalk and then roll you around on the table.
Unread 07-25-2006, 02:16 PM

Sometimes you don't get heartburn with reflux. My symptoms are just belching and a feeling of a lump in the throat when it gets really bad. But Prilosec keeps it away - several weeks after the hyst I was able to drop to only 1x per day, had been doing 2 per day for about a year prior to hyst.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register