first recurrence | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

first recurrence first recurrence

Unread 07-24-2006, 02:26 PM
first recurrence

Hi, first time post. Dx Stage IIc (ovarian)11/04. Had TAH BSO, then 6 rounds of carbo and taxol. Ended 3/2005. Just diagnosed with small node recurrence this week. I have surgery scheduled for 8/10 and probably another round of carbo after that. Does anyone know if the second round is administered like the first, i.e., every three weeks? Anyone have stories to share about the difference between treatment the first time and the second? I could use information from any who are in this boat. And, since I'm new, what is "NED"? <ducks>

lala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2006, 02:59 PM
first recurrence

Welcome, Lala, but sorry you're here because you recurred. It must be a scary and frustrating time for you.

There are lots of ladies on this board who have recurred, and lots of different treatments, so I'll let them chime in to give you their stories.

Just giving you lots of cyber hugs.

NED, by the way, is No Evidence of Disease, once you are in remission. I believe you may also hear about NERD, No Evidence of Recurrent Disease. So being a NERD is a good thing around here, and I'm hoping you'll be one soon.
Unread 07-24-2006, 03:08 PM
first recurrence

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what was the rationale for the "28 external rads"? Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
first recurrence

Hi Lalla. The chemo will be just like the first time-every three weeks. I found it to be about the same effects-wise as the taxol/carbo I had had the first time. (I just had carbo too for the first recurrence). You don't lose your hair with carbo. I had 8 followup carbo treatments vs. initial 6 taxol/carbo.
Unread 07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
first recurrence

Thank you; it's amazing how calming information can be.
Unread 07-24-2006, 05:05 PM
first recurrence

Hi Lalla - I'm glad you found a place where you can get support and answers from those who have been where you are now. I can't answer your questions, but I just wanted to pop in to say to HySi and to give you a warm
Unread 07-24-2006, 06:47 PM
first recurrence

I cannot help you with your question but hoping you sail through this and get well!
Unread 07-24-2006, 08:23 PM
first recurrence

s lalla

I'm so sorry to hear of your reoccurence. It can be a very scary time. I finished six rounds of taxol/carbo for Stage IIIC in Nov. of 04. In Dec. of 05 I reoccured and started single agent carbo. My oncologist initially said six rounds, but he only had me take 5 because I responded so well and my CA125 dropped very quickly.

The single agent carbo did make me vomit usually on day 2, even with all of the anti nausea meds. I never got sick with taxol/carbo. Other than that, the fatigue was a major issue with the carbo.

Hair stayed of course which was good. I will keep you in my the the carbo does the job for you. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Unread 07-24-2006, 10:16 PM
first recurrence

Lalla, first welcome, ans second I am so sorry to hear of your recurrance. I was also diagnosed in November 2004 with Stage 11C Ovarian Cancer and Stage IB Uterine Cancer. I dod 6 rounds of Carbo/Taxol from December 2004 thru April 2005. With the exception of my second hernia repair since my TAH/BSO I have been doing well. There are not many of us diagnosed at Stage IIC, Usually most women are Stage III or IV be the time a diagnosis is made. Usually thise who are staged at Stage I it is found "accidentally". I dont have any info to share in regards to reoccurrence but just wanted to welcome you and let you know you have truly found a home here.
Unread 07-25-2006, 07:54 AM
first recurrence

Lalla,

You asked why I had radiation. It was because I had endometrial cancer as well as ovarian cancer. Radiation isn't usually used for ovarian cancer, although some women have had it to treat a specific tumor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register