Is Your Swelly Belly "Fluffy" or "Solid"? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is Your Swelly Belly "Fluffy" or "Solid"? Is Your Swelly Belly "Fluffy" or "Solid"?

Unread 07-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Is Your Swelly Belly "Fluffy" or "Solid"?

Hi Sises,
It seems when a Sis describes her swelly belly, she often uses the term 'fluffy'. My swelly belly seems so solid and heavy, like a water balloon that's 90% full of water. It went down some for almost a week, whee, but now it's 'waterlogged' again. Anybody else have the heavy, solid kind of swelly belly? Best, Asta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Solid here

Mine is definitely solid...weird, it feels numb on the surface still, but tender and sensitive at the same time. It is definitely solid and I sometimes get twinges or pain near my belly button or off to the sides above my thighs. I was already overweight, but the swelly belly definitely increased my size and doesn't feel like the fat I had before, but way more solid.

I'm on my fourth week - getting around a lot more and have to get into the swing of things again as I have to go back to work next week... Can you tell I really don't want to yet?

Take care
Unread 07-26-2006, 02:33 AM

Hey, Christina, my belly feels exactly the same. I was so excited immediately post-op because of the marked reduction in size, but now it is a big swollen floppy thing again. It's hot and itchy tonight, but the swelly belly band is a big help.
Hope you feel better real soon!!!

Prairiewind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2006, 02:41 AM

Ever played with one of those stress balls? The kind that you press on or squeeze and it holds the shape until you press or squeeze it again?

My swelly belly "feels" like that - but doesn't hold the shape that I poke it (thank goodness).

Oh - and it's lopsided. The right side is drooping down more than the left side. AND - it feels like I have a golf ball stuck inside the left side - and the little golf ball hurts like the dickens! The skin on the outside burns, itches, hurts - all from nerve pain.

I LOVE ice packs!
Unread 07-26-2006, 04:05 AM

I am with all of the above, i have this horrible hanging heavy fold over itself yucky swelly jelly belly. Isnt it just delightful. Hang in there it will go in time, my Dr told me today that it was from inflamed organs after surgery....god bless the dr's that neglect to inform us of this wonderful side effect....lol
Unread 07-26-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoniOhio
AND - it feels like I have a golf ball stuck inside the left side - and the little golf ball hurts like the dickens! The skin on the outside burns, itches, hurts - all from nerve pain.

I LOVE ice packs!
Noni, I had the same "golf ball", only on the right side. And guess what? I woke up this morning, and it's GONE! Just like that! I've been having this for about a week, that same burning, aching, painful "golf ball", just under the extreme right side of my incision. I was afraid I might have torn something and developed a hematoma, since no drugs really help. Vicodin took away part of the pain, but not all of it. But again, I got up this morning and the golf ball is history. I'm walking around the house, whispering, "It's gone! It's gone!" and my cats are looking at me like I've lost my mind. I don't care. Whooopppeeee!
Unread 07-26-2006, 09:11 AM

Dear Free! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

I have something to look forward to.

As for your cats: just remind them that they have their moments too when they get their "I just had a poo - have to run through the house at top speed - try to stop fast enough to not run my head into the window" moments!
Unread 07-26-2006, 12:00 PM

It's amazing how much the swelly belly fluctuates! I'm frustrated that at almost 6 weeks post-op, the belly is still here. If I'm on my feet for any length of time, I get major swelly belly, pain and I'm exhausted. I went to visit a friend for a couple of days and we walked around downtown Montreal all afternoon, (slowly!) and for the next two days I couldn't move off the couch. My belly is huge! If I stay off my feet for a couple of days, magically the swelly belly reduces by about 40%. When I read about these people who are 6 weeks post-op and running 5 miles a day, with no pain, etc...I want to cry!!! What's wrong with me? What's the reason for such a huge difference in healing time? I took 8 weeks off work because I have a very physical job with alot of lifting, but now my Dr. wants me to take 2 more weeks off. (I developed a large hematoma at 3 weeks, but it seems to be resolving) I read about these women who go back to work 3-4 weeks after their surgery and it makes me feel guilty and like a bit whimp! I'm happy for them that they're feeling so good, but confused as to why I'm taking so much longer.
Unread 07-26-2006, 12:05 PM

Swelly belly is awful, isn't it? I swear I feel 9 months preggo every night. My shorts are baggy as anything when I put them on, and by the night, they're clinging on my belly like it's a shelf!
Unread 07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
hard spots under the incision

all. I just returned from two week post-op check with my doctor and she explained that it is a normal thing called the abdominal ridge that starts to develop around the second week where they tie at both ends of the incision and in the center. So far I just have a "golf ball " on the left. But she said it will all get hard in the weeks to come then soften again over time. So yeah! we are normal I am glad all things look good and just being able to drive has lifted my spirits. She also said if I wasn't bleeding( none since day 1) I could now swim or bathe. Looking forward to floating at the pool. Still no sit-ups, vaccuuming, mowing ( that really doesn't bother me) I am so grateful to everyone here and to God that everything is going well. Blessings to all my fellow hyster-sisters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register