Questions about "Mesh" and "Stairs" - hyst for prolapse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about "Mesh" and "Stairs" - hyst for prolapse Questions about "Mesh" and "Stairs" - hyst for prolapse

Unread 07-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Questions about "Mesh" and "Stairs" - hyst for prolapse

Hi all,

Feel these are Post-op questions, but can't post it there since,

I obviously haven't had my surgery yet, but have some questions about "After". I must admit reading some of these post scares me senseless....goodness, What some of you Ladies have and are going thru..

I have uterine prolaps with fibroids, imagine my "Surprise" when one day feeling odd and going to the bathroom, Only to find an internal body part......waving in the breeze........UGH. This happen two weeks after an emergency Gall Bladder operation. Had that checked out and yes, was my uterus......things have progressed from there...to here.

Have done my research.......and still concerned...about the "Mesh" that My Doctor wants to use to prevent vaginal vault. Has anyone experienced the "erosion" that I have read about.

Also........I have to deal with a million stairs.......is this a big problem that I will have to work with. I went up and down them sideways after GB surgery.

Sleep seems to be a problem for most, is this from hormones or pain...??

I feel the "Waiting" drives most of us Nuts. I truly believe the emergency surgery I went thu was easier on the Nerves...just a trip to ER , wham, bam ..........Done. I hate this constant worrying............

Thanks for your time,
Gen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2006, 07:51 AM

Hi Genesis

I can answer a couple of your questions based on my own experience of TAH without complications.
I had no sleep problems at all. But I did not nap in the day after I came home, just rested a lot.
And I had no problems with stairs. My physiotherapist walked me up and down 2 flights of stairs in the Castle and I had my dh to keep an eye at home for the first week (stairs are too narrow for 2). I must admit I didn't know that the stairs were supposed to be a problem until I saw it on this site.
Best to ask your dr in advance about stairs then you are prepared, I guess.

Best wishes for your surgery and you will find many of us post-op saying what a blessing it was!
Unread 07-26-2006, 08:09 AM

Hi -- I can't answer the questions about the mesh or help with the prolapse issues...

I was able to climb stairs right away. Honestly, my doctor's major objection to climbing too many stairs right away wasn't because she felt I'd damage my stitches or anything. She said I might be a little unsteady on my feet for a few days -- and she was right! Just take it slow and you will probably be fine... but I made my living room my "recovery chambers" for the first few weeks home, so I only had to climb stairs for my daily shower and for dh to change my dressings.

Insomnia? Yep -- I had trouble sleeping. Part of it was just the after-effects of the anesthesia, I think. And when you're resting and napping during the day, sometimes it's hard to sleep at night. But the insomnia passes, too. It took several weeks for my sleep patterns to get back to normal after my surgery. I kept my ovaries, so for me it wasn't hormonal.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2006, 08:49 AM

Thanks Ladies,

The stair issue was a concern for me...lol. I will still ask my Doctor
before and after.....but is nice to know there is "Hope"

Sounds like you both made it thru in one piece.. Sound positive.. I
hope that it continues that way..

I really don't think I want the "mesh" option. Will have to discuss this with the Dr. to find another way........I mean, really......this Mesh stuff wasn't always around.

Some really scary stories on the post-op search pages about it....

Thanks
Unread 07-26-2006, 09:28 AM

Hey, Gen,
it seems like there's not alot of people here with prolapse...or at least I've not come across many. My dr recommended the mesh. I told her was afraid that taking out my uterus, other stuff would fall into that spot. I haven't heard good/bad things about it, tho. If you find anything worth sharing, please do! thanks
Unread 07-26-2006, 09:51 AM

Hi Fluttebye....

I agree...not much in the prolaps area. Mine is due to heavy lifting and 2 large babies, normal deliveries.

It is such a nuisance...for me feels like I am about to give birth..24/7 I just can't come to terms with "Seeing" an internal body part on the outside of my body..lol... Plus sex is out of the question.
Thank Goodness, my Husband is so understanding and supportive.

Fortunately my bladder seems to be ok. Had all of those tests done yesterday.

The mesh option for me, is to prevent vaginal vault.

I have read on this board about the mesh being rejected by the body, erosion, where the mesh (rubs..?) and irritates other body parts...second surgeries to have the mesh removed... found these
items in the Post-Op section, using the search box..for "Mesh"

That is where I wonder, if it can be removed..there should be another way to do things in the first place and avoid the whole thing. I don't
see my Dr. until Aug. 2........ so all of this is running around in my mind.

From looking at pictures, I don't feel so much that other stuff would "Fall" into that spot..(really not that large of a place to begin with) but would perhaps........Cause us to Feel Better...now that things are not pushed together to accommodate the uterus.... besides...if the uterus has already moved down... (as for me, where it can be visually seen) things have moved into that spot already........don't ya think..??

Hope you are dealing better with your situation, than I am..lol.

Gen
Unread 07-26-2006, 10:47 AM

No, I'm freaking out...(post above)
The reason I worry about things falling in, is that my Mom had a hysterectomy 20+ years ago, and she has said for awhile now that she has a "bulge" down there.
(ewww from MOM) and doesn't know what it is. (probably her bladder!) And she's had so many problems, I dont want to end up like her. I know that's a long time ago, and they probably did things different back then.
My dr said they'd use mesh, and attach it to my backbone area because it's a strong area.
...but won't affect my spine..(she says) That appointment was a 2nd opinion and no real decisions were made then. She just told me to go home and think about it. Not sure when I'll see her again.
I suppose I'll hve tons of questions for her!

thanks (I'll do some "mesh" searches)
Unread 07-26-2006, 11:08 AM

Flutterbye,

I see what you are saying and I totally understand your fears...I feel
the same.......probably is a bladder situation with your Mom since
she did have a hyst.

Yes, I am sure they do things differently today......I just haven't as of
yet ,found any Positive sides to the mesh, Post-op. I did ask my Dr.
how long the mesh would last and was told, it was so new..there wasn't any Long Term Data..........

Depending on how advanced your prolaps is...(mine is stage 3 on some
web sites)...........and how well you deal with it on a daily basis, I suppose would determine how long you can put it off. I was told that
I could leave things as they are............BUT..............

As I said, I can see mine..(approx.. 2" of it...YUCK) constant irritation
from underware and sitting......I Just can't stand it ANYMORE. Plus
makes "Monthly Cycle" a Nightmare..!!!

Let me know if you find any positives........

Gen
Unread 07-26-2006, 09:51 PM

There are many of us sisters who have had prolapse surgery. You can also go to the Message Board "Pelvic Floor & Bladder Issues" where many of us post about prolapse, you will be allowed to post there even though you have not had your surgery yet.
Since you have some time before your surgery you have plenty of time to research your options. Prolapses can be repaired with standard colporraphy. That is where the surgeon sort of pushes the prolapsed organ into place and pulls the ends of the vaginal tissue to overlap and sutures them together. Many women have had success with this repair that has lasted them for many years later.
Others have opted to use mesh whether synthetic or natural graft material which does give a stronger repair and have been very happy with the results. Like any surgery there are risks and side effects. Some have experienced pain, dyspareunia (painful intercourse) or erosion. You should sit down and compile a list of questions to discuss with your Dr to see what will be the best for you.
If there is anything I can help you with please feel free to ask or PM me anytime.
Michelle
Unread 07-27-2006, 07:39 AM

Hi Michelle,

I really appreciate the info...will look up the word.."Colporraphy".

I am not all that computer "Savy"...have no idea how to PM..so will
ask here...if I may,

How you are doing with the mesh ?

Thanks
Gen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register