Having My First CT Abd Scan Tommorow! And Upper Endoscopy Tuesday! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having My First CT Abd Scan Tommorow!  And Upper Endoscopy Tuesday! Having My First CT Abd Scan Tommorow! And Upper Endoscopy Tuesday!

Unread 07-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Having My First CT Abd Scan Tommorow! And Upper Endoscopy Tuesday!

Yes, this is all happening so fast now. A few days ago I went to the gastroenterologist to get another take on this continuing pelvic pain and stomach discomfort. I am already scheduled for a lap August 25th and had an ultrasound (negative) but wanted to do some other tests also before the lap (to confirm/rule out endo/adhesions, scar tissue) to continue to rule out other causes. Well, today she called me back and wants me to come in tommorow for the ct. I have had a ct of the head years ago but never for the abdomen. I have to drink this contrast several hours before the test. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on just how bad the contrast tastes and if you had trouble getting it down or if it upset your stomach. Please tell me you didn't vomit! Thank *** I don't have to work tommorow!

I am also having an upper endoscopy done on Tuesday to rule out Celiac disease (Mom has it) and figure out the cause of this chronic nausea and stomach discomfort. Fun fun! I had one of those 4 years ago so I kind of know what to expect there. I am not expecting a magic wand to pull out all the answers with these tests, but I have to do this as the pain is getting so much worse. Today i was in so much pain I thought I would die, and all day I have had a low grade fever. And the fatigue is horrible. I feel like I am in a race against time to figure all this out before I completely lose it! I can't even lay down and my abdomen throbs. And due to the stomach upset, I can't even take anything for the abdominal pain (that works) without making the other problem worse! Argh!

Thanks in advance for sharing any experiences with a CT abdomen and the dreaded contrast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2006, 08:01 PM

I had 2 abdominal cat scans in the first few months following my hyst. I had abdominal pain so bad and I couldn't have a bm without straining to death and using enemas. The first ct showed a bowel impaction. The second one showed nothing. I just recently had a defecograph, which is also called a barium study of some kind. It showed I still have a rectocele and enterocele even though it was repaired 1 1/2 years ago. The barium for all of these tests taste the same to me. It is best if it is cold. It was really hard for me to get down, but I did not get sick. The most important thing is to drink lots of water afterwards to wash the barium out. The tech will tell you this too. The ct will not shop scar tissue or adhesions, so it is a good thing you are having a lap.
Good luck and I hope you get some results that will help with your treatment.
I have suffered with abdominal pain since my hyst in May 2004. I have had lapros, tests, I've been to a gastro who labeled me IBS, colon dr who says I need pelvic rehab,a general surgeon who specialized in abdominal pain and adhesion removal. He did a lapro and said I have awful scar tissue on the ab. walls, but no adhesions. He took out my GB becausae it was so inflamed and full of adhesions. I have had 2 defecos. Both showed a enterocele and rectocele. My Gyn fixed the first one and I am seeing a uro/gyn who thinks I need to have a abdominal approach and use mesh to lift my rectum.
Sorry for rambling, but what I am trying to say is you know something is not right, so you are doing the right thing by pushing for these test and lapro. We all deserve to be pain free. I am proud of you for being your own advocate and pushing for answers.
Good Luck. Let us know how everything turns out.
Peggy
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:02 PM

Best of Luck tomorrow and next week.

I had a ct with/without contrast of my abd/ pelvis back in January. the contrast was some banana tasting thing. It wasnt the greatest and I gagged a few times. I felt quite nauseated but never vomited. the actual test wasnt so bad. they put a IV line in me and when that contrast went through- Bam! I felt it right in my crotch. It was the weirdest feeling- came and went so fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2006, 09:35 PM

Thanks for sharing ladies! I am not expecting the doc to find anything, but you never know! I do remember having the iv with contrast for my ct head and that hot rushing feeling all over. My worst fear though is the nausea since I am already nauseated. I will definitely be drinking lots of water afterwards! Funny, you'd think after a complete hysterectomy a little contrast wouldn't seem so bad, but I still hate the thought of it! Thanks again! And thanks Peggy for your encouragement!
Unread 07-28-2006, 04:41 AM

Naturebound,
I've had so many Ct Scans I have lost count. I don't have a problem with the contrast for this particular test. It doesn't taste as bad as some drinks I've been given for other tests. I'm usually so thirsty by the time of the test that I would probably drink just about anything. I think you'll do just fine. If you're nauseated when you get there, you may want to mention it to the nurse.

Good luck with the test!
Unread 07-28-2006, 02:16 PM

Well, I am back from my ct. The contrast was unpleasant but not as bad as I thought it would be, although by the second round of contrast I had to drink one hour ahead i was gagging to get the last of it down! Didn't make the nausea any worse so that is a plus. Shreew! Now all I have to do is wait for the results. Thanks again everyone for your input!

ps. by the way, I had to hold my breath several times during the scan and I so wanted to laugh (why I don't know) but I managed not to. Just thought I would share that bit of humor.
Unread 07-28-2006, 03:00 PM

I'm glad it went well. As tests go, I think the CT Scan is one of the most painless ones. They don't even make me take my pants off and change into a gown so it's easy in easy out.

My fingers are crossed for good results

Unread 07-29-2006, 09:24 AM

Hey, Naturebound!! Glad to hear you made it through the CT with contrast without too much trouble. I hate that barium....blech!! I've come close to throwing it up a time or two when I've had the severe nausea, but have managed to keep it down, thank goodness!!

Good luck with your Endoscopy next week!! I'm so glad the gastro is taking care of you!! Hang in there and keep me posted!! Take care

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register