Newbie - questions 101 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie - questions 101 Newbie - questions 101

Unread 05-13-2001, 06:49 PM
Newbie - questions 101

Hi, I'm Sheila, and as I always say, 50, but look and feel a lot younger.

6 weeks ago I had a physical to prep for a colonscope - no problems, just a bad family history. Also had a clean Pap smear. Thought I was fine.

I've had weird female problems for 2 years, but everyone just said it was pre-menopause.

I work in Indianapolis, about 180 miles from home, and yes, it's just temporary. Tuesday evening, only 5 days ago, I went to the emergency room out there after 10 days of "period" and clots got to be too much. Even the ER doctor, who was nice and looked like ER's "Mark" (:-))told me it was nothing, until he looked. He sent me to a GYN - still in Indianapolis.

That doctor did a sonogram and I have 1 cyst and two very large tumors. They think things are probably okay but my family history makes them cautious. I'm told I will probably have to have a hysterectomy, but this doctor wants to go one step at a time and is not interested in questions - yet. My tears did not impress him.

I will have a D&C in Indy this Friday - all the test results are there and it will happen sooner if I just carry on out there. Then I will have everything sent/faxed/whatever to a GYN in my home city, for final options and surgery.

I am terrified of: turning "old" overnight, emotionally burdening my pregnant daughter, going through this alone - no husband or significant other - losing my job (which the way I work is possible, once I'm off disability), and mostly of depression. I am in treatment for depression, anxiety and PTSD already, and messing with anti-depressants, anti-anxiety drugs, screwed up hormones, and painkillers is going to be complicated.

I don't mean to be overly anxious about the meds, but two years ago I had orthopedic surgery, and it was very tricky juggling things. Had to go off meds in favor of painkillers, thus becoming chemically depressed.

Soooo. I know nothing at this point. I would be especially interested in hearing from single women who had to go it alone, or anyone who is in mental health treatment and had to juggle both.

Thank you so much!

Sheila alias Lifes2ndhalf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2001, 08:20 PM
Newbie - questions 101

Hi Sheila,

I'm a 55 yo widow and 4 mo's post op. I got an abnormal pap back in Nov '99 and went thru a number of tests, procedures, until my dr finally suggested the hyst in Sept '00. By that time I was more than ready to say goodbye to all those tests and dr's appointments which were interferring with my life for nearly a yr.

A major illness causes a lot of stress and anxiety, and I know how it would be nice to be able to share it with a husband or SO. I have to turn to my kids often for things I need. But I think that's what family's all about. I do what I can for them, they do what they can for me.

I'm not sure why you think you'll turn old overnight. I hope not because of that old thinking that menopause or a hyst just turns one old. I went thru menopause at 48 and nothing changed for me except I never again had to carry my purse to the ladies room at work!

I came home alone after my surgery and did very well. If you do decide to have a hyst you'll get plenty of hints, advice, support, on these boards. In the meantime, I can't tell you not to worry...you have a lot on your plate..but try to relax a bit until you know what's up.
Unread 05-13-2001, 09:07 PM
Newbie - questions 101

I am 44 year old Deaf woman who had hyst. in Dec. 2000. I have 2 beatuiful girls and a husband. Personally, I feel that I'm alone as there are many things my husband do not understand me as a Deaf individual. I know that I am not a widow or being single but I feel alone yet I do have a husband. I guess it is kind of hard to explain how I feel. Its like I'm white and hes oriental (for example) and what do we have in common here? Few things I'm sure and yet we are very different. In that aspect, one would feel alone when at that moment they feel one does not understand. This is where your family comes in. They are indeed a big help regardless of your plight. I love my family and I would never trade them for anything. They are my life. So don't feel that you are alone. We must look beyond that and see who we do care about and those are the ones will help us lift our spirit up. I do not feel old in any way. I accepted the fact of life before my surgery and did lots of research on this subject and went ahead with the surgery. I am glad it is over and I no longer have to worry about my monthly surprise visitors, severe back pains, no more painful sex, stc... list goes on. I am now 5 1/2 months post op and will have to return for an ultrasound on June 26th as I am having some problems with pains. Just because this happened, I do not regret my decision because I made an informed decision. I was well prepared for the unexpected. So, do your research and learn all you can. You've come to the right site and listen to those ladies who been through. I must agree, stress, worries and ansiety do contribute to one's health. Try to exercise and I find that helps me to sleep at night. I hope I am not being to blunt or what ever you call it. Just trying to be helpful.

Have a great one! {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}
Dale

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register