Surgical Menopause? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical Menopause? Surgical Menopause?

Unread 07-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Surgical Menopause?

If you have an SAH with one ovary left and the ovary stops working are you in surgical menopause as if both ovaries are removed? I was producing estrogen prior to my surgery. My levels were estradiol was 429. Two months after surgery they are 369 and last week estradiol is at 90 wtih FSH at 98. Hot flashes are very bad now. Is my one ovary producing anything like other women who go through menopause naturally or is it dead as if it's not there. Sorry if this is a stupd question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Surgical Menopause?

There is no such thing as a stupid question in the hormone jungle! So don't feel bad about asking! I don't have any knowledge or experience about remaining ovaries shuting down or natural menopause, but just wanted to share that I have no ovaries, am having a horrible time tolerating any estrogen replacement (have been on tiny doses for months), and my estradiol levels in June were 22. Testosterone levels were 0. Can't remember the rest. So you are definitely getting more estrogen than I am (assuming you weren't on any hrt when you had your test done). However, does sound like low estrogen, and coupled with the hotflashes, it sounds like you are going through some type of menopause. Whether it is permanent or your ovary is "dead" or not I have no idea. What does your doctor say? I have heard of women having to take hrt even with ovaries for a few months to a few years after their hysterectomy, only to have them kick back in. It is a tricky situation.

Here are some resources that discuss ovary issues and menopause:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.html
http://www.project-aware.org/Experience/premature.shtml
http://www.earlymenopause.com/

Hope this helps! Hopefully others with more experience in this situation will come along to help.
Unread 07-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Surgical Menopause?

I had my right ovary removed in 2003 and had just one ovary for three years, until my hysterectomy on July 11. Your remaining ovary is supposed to "take over" and function fully. Since your levels have dropped so significantly, have you spoken with your doctor? That is not what is supposed to happen. Your remaining ovary should keep your hormones in check. I would definitely put a call into the doctor.
I had all my levels checked in 2004 when we were TTC and the levels were all fine. Every doctor I saw (and there were at least five of them), said that this is what is supposed to happen after one ovary is removed, the other just takes over and regulates everything. You should not be in menopause with one ovary unless that ovary isn't working correctly.

(((HUGS)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Surgical Menopause?

The ovary they removed had shrunk to almost nothing so the ovary I have left had been doing all the work for probably years. It was working fine as I was diagnoised as estrogen dominance. Since surgery the estradiol levels have been falling and I'm beginning to think my ovary is not working since the hyst. I've called the doctor and I'm on a low dose of Bi-est. I see him on the 21st where he'll do more blood tests. I think the ovary has gone into shock or has stopped working entirely. I'm beginning to think saving my one ovary was useless. Now I'm bloating from the Bi-est.....
Unread 08-01-2006, 05:56 AM
Surgical Menopause?

how do you know the Bi-Est is making you bloat? I ask because I am on it.

Thanks
Unread 08-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Surgical Menopause?

I only started it last thursday. I was fine on progesterone until then. By the weekend my entire belly from just under my boobs to my pelivc area is round and full. It actually feels like air is pumped in there and as if I could burp and get rid of it but I can't. I'm going to stop the Bi-est for a few days and see if it changes. DH noticed a change right away. My tummy was becomming flat again...first time in a year and now this. I've noticed more gas and have had to start taking Gas-X like I did after surgery. It's very uncomfortable. I really like the feeling on the Bi-est and I'm sleeping better with it and the progesterone and mood is great but I need to see if it's causing it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register