Menopause and unwanted hair growth | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Menopause and unwanted hair growth Menopause and unwanted hair growth

Unread 08-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Menopause and unwanted hair growth

I was just wondering how many have experienced unwanted hair growth on your face or chin/neck area due to lack of hormones, and, if you did have this and then went on HRT, did the growth go away? I am on a combination of drugs for Endometriosis (still have ovaries). One is supposed to lower my estrogen since Endo has it's own estrogen supply and this is supposed to shrink it, the other is supposed to shut off my ovaries so the first drug doesn't give me cysts on my ovaries. I'm very frustrated because this started growing within the first few weeks of the meds. I told the doctor about it at my appt at 7 weeks and he thought it would slow down, but it is not. I have not stopped the drugs yet...I called him last week and they did tests for testosterone and SHBG on Monday and I am waiting to get the results and see what he wants to do before I make any changes on my own, but I am just so worried that this will not go away now and I'm very frustrated. I already have excess hair due to PCOS and was hoping the drugs would not cause this reaction. Just wondering if I have my ovaries removed at some point, would this problem get worse. Thanks for any advice.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2006, 06:26 PM

A lot of women have unwanted hair on face, and I have a little too. I think I started getting it in my 30's , now I am in my 50's and taking hrt, no ovaries, and still have it.

I just have gotten used to it and use the hair removers . My hormones feel balanced and I don't think I will change anything just because of the facial hair. It also seems to run in families as well. My DD is in her late 20's and she has it as well and frets over it.

I hope your tests will reveal if your hormones are out of balance and you need an adjustment or not.

Hang in there

s
Unread 08-03-2006, 07:07 PM

Thanks, SuzyQ...it is always nice to get a little "comfort" online!!! Do you have a favorite hair remover? I have been thinking of trying some of those, too, but am kind of waiting to see what happens with the test results first. I worry about my girls because at 12 and 8, they already have facial hair. I guess we come by part of it honestly since we are Italian, but it also seems that PCOS plays a part in this as well. I'm at least happy that I now know about the PCOS so if my girls end up having it, too, they will know way more about it at an earlier age than I did. Thanks, again for the reply!!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2006, 07:27 PM

I am 50% Italian .so yes, this may be a genetic thing. I have light brown hair ,so I do not know why I am blessed with the dark facial, and my DD are blondes.
I have used Sally Hensen products. My DD swears by her little feminine lady electric razor to be the best way to go, no irritation. I think I will try that next time.

s
Unread 08-03-2006, 10:32 PM

I developed the peach fuzz on my face at surgery too and I had my face waxed today at m hair dresser's. I love it!! It made me feel older but when I started looking around LOTS of women my age had it. Starts as a post-menopause thing. I am a blondie and m husband didn't really notice but I really noticed it appling makeup. My hairdresser said my makeup would go one smoother. Sooooo glad I did this.
Unread 08-04-2006, 09:02 AM

I'm first generation American - my parents are from Italy - and they were FURRY! ARRRGH

So I thought all of the problems I was having with hair was due to my genetics. My GYN said that a lot of my hair problems should resolve since I had my ovaries removed.

Too soon to tell. I really hope he's right!
Unread 08-04-2006, 10:14 AM

Thanks, everyone for the comments!! Oh, I hate that we have to go through this, but it is comforting to know I'm not the only one, and I do know that in the "big picture" of life, I shouldn't let it bother me so much, I just kind of freaked out when it started under my chin and neck. I called the doctor's office this morning, so I hope they will get back to me either today or Monday with the test results. I guess if it doesn't get better after I change the meds then I'll try either one of the creams or waxing. It sure sounds like the ones who have tried it have liked the results.

Thanks, again for the replies!
Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register